Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 2013 Ep

I orginally thought (and hoped)the four songs from the Mac's 2013 EP would be included on the new Album. I really doubt the tracks will be, after reading all about Lindsey and Christine's recording sessions I'm sure it's not needed. I was listening to the EP the other day and do really like all four songs.i was really digging the end of Without You. Those Lindsey and Stevie harmonizing vocals is what got me into this group in the first place. I'm sooooooo excited about this new recording. I love all their solo stuff but I have always preferred FLEETWOOD MAC.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I orginally thought (and hoped)the four songs from the Mac's 2013 EP would be included on the new Album. I really doubt the tracks will be, after reading all about Lindsey and Christine's recording sessions I'm sure it's not needed. I was listening to the EP the other day and do really like all four songs.i was really digging the end of Without You. Those Lindsey and Stevie harmonizing vocals is what got me into this group in the first place. I'm sooooooo excited about this new recording. I love all their solo stuff but I have always preferred FLEETWOOD MAC.
thank you for starting this thread!

i love the EP, i love that we got it when we did, i love that they were doing new songs from it on the last tour, and i don't really understand all the hate that seems to be going around the FM fan community, especially when people claim stuff like "i listened to it ONCE, decided it's crap and i'm not giving it another chance".

all the official reviews of the EP were great too. just fans seem to dislike it.

if we dissect the new songs we got on the EP, Sad Angel is a great typical FM formula song. It Takes Time is an interesting departure which is a pure gift for fans to have, although i get that it's not everyone's cup of tea. and Miss Fantasy may not be the greatest most deeply elaborate song but it is pure unadulterated old-school pop.

Without You is what it is - hippie sounding old song, stuck in the 60s which is when it was made anyway.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-24-2014, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

People's problem with the EP was that the production was ghastly.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
People's problem with the EP was that the production was ghastly.
maybe, maybe not; i'm not so sure. seems that most people cited as their main problem not enough SN.

i don't usually notice production much, the same as some people don't hear off-pitch singing and such. where production bothers me is on a lot of LB's solo lately, where he way too extensively uses varispeed on his voice. but he didn't do that on the EP, so i'm happy. people who say that EP sounds like LB's solo work must not be very familiar with that work.

if disregarding the production you don't like (what's wrong with the production on SA or MF?), what do you all think of actual songs? aren't you happy to have them? since it sounds like most people would rather NOT have them. that's the part i really don't get.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-24-2014, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I liked the EP. I love Sad Angel, I like Miss Fantasy a lot, It Takes Time is beautiful, and I am "meh" with Without You. I love the way they sang WY, but I dislike the music. The demo is special to me, so it had some big shoes to fill... but 3/4 is still good! People cannot be pleased. Plain and simple.

The EP is a happy memory for me because it came out the day they played in Kansas City, the first show we saw on that tour, dressed up, met Mick, and stood at Stevie's microphone. It was a great day, great day.
Just a dream, just a dream.

Last edited by HelloMonster; 08-24-2014 at 04:53 PM..
Old 08-24-2014, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I will take and treasure whatever this band releases. The production of the EP is fine to my ears. I thought after the late 80's I wasn't going to get any new music. I'm very pleased with what has been released by this band ,solo and group effort over the years. I never thought I would get this much music from these talented musicians.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Sad Angel and Miss Fantasy.

I like Miss Fantasy more, but maybe that's just because Sad Angel was played in concert and that made Miss Fantasy seem rarer to me.

Based on the title, I thought Sad Angel would be tripe and I was surprised at how energetic and catchy it was.

I don't like It Takes Time. I like the lyrics more than the music.

I don't like Without Love, but think that it needed to be officially released, so I'm glad it's available. It's like a fantasy come true to have it.

Elle, I think your comment that people who claim this EP (well Sad Angel and Miss Fantasy) sound too much like Lindsey's solo work haven't heard his solo work is an excellent one. It Takes Time is something that's more like Lindsey solo, however. If they mean the rest of the EP sounds like Lindsey solo because his voice is on there ... well, ha, yeah.

Michele
Old 08-24-2014, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I posted my thoughts on the EP yesterday in the Stevie forum. Hopefully no one will mind if I paste them in this thread. (For the record, I'm nonetheless very happy to have gotten the EP. My only true disappointment is that they didn't release a physical copy.)

I like "Sad Angel" quite a lot, and love "Without You" (always treasured the demo, too), although it's half a minute too long. I listen to "Miss Fantasy" from time to time, when the mood strikes -- but it doesn't strike often. "It Takes Time" is pretty, but I tend to forget it exists five minutes after I've listened to it.

I think, overall, the EP comes across fairly blandly. There's nothing terrible about it, but nothing to really fire the imagination either.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just listened to Extended Play again for the first time in ages.
I think its a lot better than it's been given credit for. All the songs have grown on me except Sad Angel- the live version kicks butt so much the recorded version has started to sound a bit weak by comparison. Never thought much of It Takes Time- but you know what- it's really rather sweet. In general I think the overall sound is a bit 'tinny'- perhaps because it was rushed out and didn't really seem to have the full commitment he would have given to the production if it were a full album.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Just listened to Extended Play again for the first time in ages.
I think its a lot better than it's been given credit for. All the songs have grown on me except Sad Angel- the live version kicks butt so much the recorded version has started to sound a bit weak by comparison. Never thought much of It Takes Time- but you know what- it's really rather sweet. In general I think the overall sound is a bit 'tinny'- perhaps because it was rushed out and didn't really seem to have the full commitment he would have given to the production if it were a full album.
i tend to agree with a lot of what you say here, at least partially. similarly, live versions of many of the LB's most recent solo songs kick butt so much that album versions are meek by comparison (That's the Way Love Goes comes to mind especially; although In Our Own Time live versions are amazing, album version is also produced lush and beautifully so each contribute something). so i can see where you are coming from with Sad Angel - i think both versions were good, but live ones are much better; i tend to listen to live ones more.

to my ears Sad Angel and Miss Fantasy are fully produced, which actually makes sense because LB said he planned to release those 2 before 2013 tour. however SN wanted an EP, and i think LB quickly embraced that idea since he liked having more contribution from her than just backing vocals on his songs. so i would agree that WY and especially ITT do not sound fully produced.

i also think (pure speculation based on his more recent output as well as some of his statements) that LB doesn't care nearly as much anymore about perfecting the production as he used to, and tends to leave the reigns to either other producers or doesn't mind putting out partially raw stuff.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think EP will be included on a deluxe version of the CD.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-26-2014, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like all the songs but, as others have mentioned, it's the production that I have a slight problem with, especially Without You. Great song but that guitar and whatever they did to it is very abrasive. I think Sad Angel is exceptional and should have been a big hit!!

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 08-26-2014, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I feel that the EP is half-baked and half-hearted. It was a one-off Lindsey project; a feeble attempt to make Fleetwood Mac look like they had a pulse before embarking on another redundant tour. Lindsey got acquainted with the digital release only concept with the release of his live album.Mick and John were his back-up band,and Stevie made a guest vocal appearance. Under produced, with slim content and no physical release, this is an easily forgotten blip in their history. Hopefully they will, with Christine on board, get serious and record a full length album.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 08-26-2014 at 05:24 PM..
Old 08-26-2014, 06:16 PM
Ledgie

Personally I thought the EP wasn't bad. However I think that only Sad Angel should warrant an album inclusion. IMO it's a pretty strong song. Without You is nice, but I dunno, it's another rehashed demo, i may be getting my hopes up, but i'd rather the new album be purely new stuff, leave Stevie to reinvent old demos to the solo career. It takes Time was pleasent, but a bit dry. Miss Fantasy was ok, nothing terribly special. As well as that, i'd rather it be as 5 piece band heavy as possible!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The only track on the EP that I *love* is It Takes Time. Without You is the track I was most excited for - but the guitar in it really irritates my brain. It almost has a brassy snare quality that drives me totally nuts. Miss Fantasy I like, but there's TOO MUCH SNARE. Sad Angel is the least appealing track to me. It's "Fleetwood Mac" to the point of self-parody. There are too many layers, too many sounds, too many blipping beeping bopping noises.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case