User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:53 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default More Thoughts, PLS READ

Hello All

Once again, just trying to make some conversations go on here, it’s been kind of boring lately

Random thoughts, please reply

Fleetwood Mac (1975) & Tour = Great record, sounds a tad dated today, and the tour was a great success

Rumours (1977) & Tour = nothing to say, classic on all ends

Tusk (1979) & Tour = You know, the dang thing has sold over 4 million double albums ( I think ) so im sorry, it wasn’t a bomb, and all though it’s a difficult listen for the average listener, I do love this album. I can’t believe critics, some of them, bash this record. Its dang good. The Tour, I always laugh that the band lost money on this tour. I mean, they played sold out venues everywhere, but I guess when you are racking up a bill that is so large, what you expect. Honestly, from a performance stand point, this period is FM at their best, in my humble opinion. Loved GYOW On that tour

Mirage (82) & Tour = The album is extremely dated, however a nice listen, but very dated, and yet I was always amazed it sold more than Tusk and was and is a #1 album, I am impressed with the sales since I don’t think it’s very strong, but nonetheless a nice listen. The Tour, I find it amazing that FM only toured for like 2 months , I mean, they were still easily one of the most popular acts in 1982, and yet they choose to not go out on the road much. But, im sure they’re people booked them at big venues and got paid bank. Just amazed the tour was so short

Tango (87) & Tour = I still love the album, had plenty of legs, 7 million strong, and I love the videos so much. Yes, its dated somewhat, but love it. The Tour, well, I am a LB fan first, and I give them credit for sticking to their commitments and going through with the tour, I am amazed at how popular the tour was overseas as it was , I’ll admit that was a shock

Behind The Mask (90) & Tour = well, I don’t own this garbage of a album, I think I did for 2 days and threw it away. I mean, Christine’s tunes are listenable, but LB is so missed from this, however I will give it credit, this album was a good seller outside the states, and the tour did well away from the states. I don’t think this tour did much in the states, but I’ll give it credit as a very nice try without LB

FM Live 1980 – it’s ok, nothing special about this live album

Time (95) never heard it, never will. Tour was a embarrassment

The Dance (97) everything about this album and tour was great. I remember that album flying off the shelves and the Dance all over the TV. Loved the Brit awards, couldn’t stand the Grammy performance, I hate medleys

After the dance, for the life of me, don’t know why they didn’t keep the momentum going

Say You Will (03) strong album, you all know my thoughts on the sales, and the Tour was very good and very profitable

Unleashed (06) I’ll admit, I didn’t see any shows, and though the tour was profitable, I lol admit this is the one and hopefully ONLY time they kind of sold out as a oldies act

Love all of LB solo albums, OOTC is my best

Stevie = well, honestly I never understood her SOLO stuff, it is really crap to be honest, if you take away her 1st 2 records, she really hasn’t sold anything nor been relevant on the charts, I mean, I just think her best days are far behind her
Old 12-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Behind the Mask is not garbage at all.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A View Post

Mirage (82) & Tour = The album is extremely dated,

Just amazed the tour was so short

Tango (87) & Tour

Love all of LB solo albums, OOTC is my best

Stevie = well, honestly I never understood her SOLO stuff, it is really crap to be honest, if you take away her 1st 2 records, she really hasn’t sold anything nor been relevant on the charts, I mean, I just think her best days are far behind her
I believe the Mirage tour was only 18 shows, and I think it's because Stevie's solo career was going full steam ahead, and that's all the commitment they could get from her.

I think Tango sounds the most dated album there is. Some great songs, but the production was too much. "Oh look, computers can make music". Downfall? It's too perfekt.

Law and Order is my favorite LB album, by far. It's f*cking wacky, crazy, out there songs and production. It's almost drugged out freaky! I love L&O!!!

Stevie? Yeah, what you said. Her first two albums were great, then she went to hell. Every following release was about half the quality, of the previous effort.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Senior Ledgie

What I love about Tango is that although it sounds incredibly dated, I hear quite a few bands who seem to be quite heavily influenced by this album. In particular 2 Aussie bands almost give Tango an updated sound, Empire of the Sun (their album Walking on a Dream) and a song by a band called Gypsy and the Cat called Jona Vark.

I saw 2 Unleashed shows and although I loved it at the time, looking back it all seemed a bit unnecesary, 'oh we just want to play our hits', isnt that what they do on every tour? And didn't they already do the whole Greatest Hits tour with The Dance?

I think I'm in the minority here but I really like Time. Christine's songs are great and I love Becka's voice and I'm sorry to say it but I like Dave's songs as well. I listen to Time more than I listen to BTM.

And although I love SN solo I don't really listen to any of her post-1985 solo stuff. Of LB I only own OOTC, GOS and UTS. OOTC is my favourite and I barely ever listen to UTS coz I find it dull.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilthefirefades View Post
like.

What's your opinion of Time?
Old 12-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Correct, Behind the Mask is amazing!
Old 12-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

With you mentioning the Tusk tour not making any money, I had to laugh.

Everyone knows the story of how Stevie's "face became thin" during this tour, and to find that they didn't make any money.

I'm sure that helped to iron out the wrinkles of the Rumours era
Old 12-30-2010, 08:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustboi View Post

I think I'm in the minority here but I really like Time. Christine's songs are great and I love Becka's voice and I'm sorry to say it but I like Dave's songs as well. I listen to Time more than I listen to BTM.
Me, too! I far prefer Time to BTM.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really haven't much to say here, sorry.

Yeah, I'll admit, like David said, that Tango in the Night is really dated and 80's-sounding, but I gotta admit that it is fun listen to, especially Christine's songs (sorry, I'm yet to decide whether I prefer Everywhere, Little Lies, or Isn't It Midight)

As for Time, Say You Will, and Behind the Mask, I can't comment and it's for probably the best reason ever: I'm haven't listened to them

As for Mirage, I can't really comment about the tour, but would this really be the proper place to describe my thoughts on it? If so, with the exception of a few songs, I absolutely hate it

EDIT: On solo stuff, the only Lindsey solo album I really have heard from beginning to end is Out of the Cradle, and I think it's fantastic. As for Stevie, Wild Heart is my favorite, with Bella Donna very close behind. I'm starting to enjoy Rock A Little more, but after that, I wanna burn those albums after a song or 2

You can add me on Facebook

Last edited by MissLadyLoki; 12-30-2010 at 09:19 PM..
Old 12-30-2010, 09:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Tango it's great To me...save for Stevie's songs. It's my 2nd Fav Rumours era album. Mirage I don't care for one bit. Rarely gets played. I love Lindsey's solo stuff.....Save for those first 2. I just love his work. Stevie's solo stuff. I love her first 2....and then it's sleepy time. Well actually i actually like songs here and there. However she has not made a full album I enjoy in years. TISL I love a good deal of the songs but.....her voice drives me up a frickin' wall on that album

Mick

-Tom Waits

Last edited by bluefox4000; 12-30-2010 at 09:11 PM..
Old 12-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Behind The Mask (90) & Tour = well, I don’t own this garbage of a album, I think I did for 2 days and threw it away. I mean, Christine’s tunes are listenable, but LB is so missed from this, however I will give it credit, this album was a good seller outside the states, and the tour did well away from the states. I don’t think this tour did much in the states, but I’ll give it credit as a very nice try without LB
The fact that the album was such a big success outside of the US is enough proof that this album has a lot to offer. A lot of great material isn't successful in the US and just because something is "successful" or "popular" doesn't mean it's better than material that isn't.

Quote:
Time (95) never heard it, never will. Tour was a embarrassment
Thinking like that is what is embarassing and it's a poor excuse for not wanting to listen to the Time album.

Matt
Old 12-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Fleetwood Mac (1975) & Tour = Great record, sounds a tad dated today, and the tour was a great success
There were multiple legs (at least three) behind that album, & I'm not sure you could say that all of them were great successes. The band certainly acquired an audience & sold an album & got people keyed up for "Rumours," but the early months of touring in summer & winter 1975 were a hodge-podge. The band drove from gig to gig largely by car (station wagons, according to Stevie), playing college towns & hick towns & paying back the buyers when the shows didn't sell well just to maintain bona fides. I think things were a lot more lucrative on the 1976 legs.

Quote:
Tusk (1979) & Tour = The Tour, I always laugh that the band lost money on this tour. I mean, they played sold out venues everywhere, but I guess when you are racking up a bill that is so large, what you expect.
It's important to make that point. The tour made a heck of a lot of money for the band & the buyers, but the band squandered a lot of that money & so the individual members apparently didn't see much. Still, let's remember that the tour brought in the biggest box office of any tour that year for venues the size of a typical sports arena, according to Billboard. Fleetwood Mac has never done that since then.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-30-2010, 10:54 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post
TISL I love a good deal of the songs but.....her voice drives me up a frickin' wall on that album
I know. Her voice totally grates through me on that album and when I first listened to it I put it away for about 2 years before venturing there again, but still now its one of my least favourite Stevie albums. I thought there was a quite a bit of improvement on SYW but I think the last time I really loved Stevie's voice was during The Dance.

I never get tired of showing my friends Rosebud Rhiannon. Getting them to sit quietly for the whol 7-8 minutes can be quite hard though (or however long it is).

If I'm honest, I'm obviously excited about new LB and SN solo albums but what I want more than anything is a new mac album. I'd be quite happy if they did a new album with Christine but didn't bother touring behind it, simply to please Christine. Not gonna happen.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Agree 100%. Don't like ALL songs, but there are several good ones. Guess it would be better produced by Dashut, but anyway I liked it.

LIVE is good album. Actually the reason I became a Mac fan.

Now you say about Stevie "she really hasn’t sold anything nor been relevant on the charts", but also you love all Lindsey's albums. Well his albums were not precisely Thriller or Like a Virgin. Ok, that's not your point of course, but then why you mention Stevie sales? I don't get it. Just say you don't like her solo works and that's it.

I do like Stevie solo songs, but not as her songs within FM. About Lindsey, I just liked, and adored OOTC. Didn't like GI and L&O (the rhythm is too monotonous), and didn't even buy the latest 2 albums. Just listening the previews at Amazon.com I realized I wouldn't like them.

Christine solo album from the 80s was fine, but not big deal.

I always liked all them together. As Christine said (according to Mick's book): It's like a living thing, this Fleetwood Mac. It's a source stronger than its various members.
Like a synergy, the whole is greater than sum of its parts
Old 12-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Registered

Quote:
Mirage (82) & Tour = The Tour, I find it amazing that FM only toured for like 2 months , I mean, they were still easily one of the most popular acts in 1982, and yet they choose to not go out on the road much. But, im sure they’re people booked them at big venues and got paid bank. Just amazed the tour was so short
Outside of the US Festival date, the band didn't make all that much money. They toured out of obligation.. hitting the main markets/decent paydays while continuing to prop up the notion that they were still an actual band (bolstering their own solo careers).