Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default My thoughts

Here's my take. I have a degree in Recording Industry, worked with alot of different people from different industry related businesses, worked for two artists on indie labels, and interned at a pretty prominent Nashville studio:

More marketing is a double-edged sword. (Promotion to a record label is getting it on the radio.) While it seems like it's best for the artist, it actually drives up prices of albums just like any type of marketing which makes fans stand-offish. Plus, the more money and time they pump into a project without an "acceptable" return on their investment, the more it's considered a flop which hurts the artist's chances of either getting that same label to pump any money into the next one or finding a label for their next album. And everything from having the album played in a store to making online flash banners to even getting some stores to carry it costs money. There's alot of stuff that goes on behind the scenes that all ends up being marketing. (Sending out promo copies of the CD also affects how much the album will cost in the end.)

Honestly, UTS wasn't going to be #1. The material wasn't good enough. (Sorry, guys.) And as a marketing team, they had to take that into account. You've got an album that's best chance for radio play is on Triple A, college, and satellite radio none of which hold enough market share to really leave a dent and with a sound that really isn't something that would appeal to the "casual" music listener. You really can't put all the blame on WBR. You got a label with obligations to 100s of artist all fighting for the money in consumers' wallets. They're going to pump their efforts into the ones they think will make them money. It's a business.

I'm all for Lindsey going to a smaller indie label but in order to do that he's got to make some sacrifices. No big advances, lots more touring, relying more on grassroots attempts. Indie labels rely alot more on the artist actually taking charge of many of the things that major labels do. I just think that Lindsey likes the cush that a major provides. He doesn't have to be too hands on and he doesn't have to tour all the time.

As far as the Live Nation 360 deals go, I think they are worse than an artist signing with any major label out there. They're pretty much signing their life away for the next 10 years and I really think that the music is going to suffer and fans are going to pay for it in the end. Live Nation now has a hand in everything they do and it's going to be all about the return on their multimillion upfront deal in any way they can using the band as a brand. There's no way I'd be for Fleetwood Mac jumping into something like that. Live Nation as a promoter for a farewell tour: OK. But getting half-ass music because the band doesn't really want to be together anymore but are now obligated to do so (because it's going to be almost impossible to get out of those deals): NO.

Twitter me
Old 09-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
Its *very* important to Lindsey that he's on a major label. He's used his leverage as a member of Fleetwood Mac to get WBR to put out his albums, even though he knows they're just going to throw them out there without much support.

Let's not forget the last time WBR put a ton of money/planning in the promotion of a Lindsey Buckingham solo album, it tanked miserably. They promoted the HELL out of OOTC- no one seems to remember or admit that. But, they did.

There's no shortage of indie/boutique labels that would have loved to sign Lindsey over the past 10 years or so, but his attitude has always been "what's the point?" He's all about prestige. This is why he, now more than ever, writes/records whiny, self-important songs about his music & talent being unappreciated by the suits, yet ultimately seems quite content with the arrangement.

All of that aside, if you were WBR, how would you have marketed Lindsey's recent releases differently? And do keep in mind that no matter how promo CD's of "Did You Miss Me" you'd manufacture and send to Top 40 / A/C stations, few, if any, would even give it a listen. They're solidly marketing to his base (AAA stations), and that's all you can really want at this point.
I love Lindsey's solo work, but I agree with EVERY word you wrote here, especially with his "I am a genius...nobody recognizes this" songs.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snicksfan85 View Post
You really can't put all the blame on WBR. You got a label with obligations to 100s of artist all fighting for the money in consumers' wallets. They're going to pump their efforts into the ones they think will make them money. It's a business.
You made good points in your post, but I still believe WBR has failed him (and others) based on what a person in music industry told me about them. You have to be realistic about what the album will probably sell, but if it were your album wouldn't you want the label behind you 100%. Why fight the fight if you're not going to give it your all?

All said, I actually hope I'm wrong about WBR this time. Maybe they'll do their best. Time will tell.

And if anyone see's the new TV spot for GOS (not counting Youtube) please post that information here (channel & time). Thanks!
Old 09-11-2008, 12:59 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
You made good points in your post, but I still believe WBR has failed him (and others) based on what a person in music industry told me about them. You have to be realistic about what the album will probably sell, but if it were your album wouldn't you want the label behind you 100%. Why fight the fight if you're not going to give it your all?

All said, I actually hope I'm wrong about WBR this time. Maybe they'll do their best. Time will tell.

And if anyone see's the new TV spot for GOS (not counting Youtube) please post that information here (channel & time). Thanks!

I agree. I would want a label behind my artist 100% but I would also have a realistic expectation for their efforts.

Twitter me
Old 09-11-2008, 01:17 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
You made good points in your post, but I still believe WBR has failed him (and others) based on what a person in music industry told me about them.
Well, now that you've had other people with experience in the industry (who arguably have a better knowledge of Lindsey and his audience) tell you otherwise, who are you going to believe?
Old 09-11-2008, 01:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
Well, now that you've had other people with experience in the industry (who arguably have a better knowledge of Lindsey and his audience) tell you otherwise, who are you going to believe?
I believe the person I talked to about it. He had no reason to lie about WBR. Plus he showed me other promotional items from various labels (same type of demographic, and projected sales) and WBR pails in comparison to them. And in my original post I didn't say that it was impossible to get promotional CD's etc.. from them, I just said it was difficult. Why should it be a hassle to promote an album?

But I do respect others opinions on the subject, even if I don't agree.