Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Unreleased BBC recordings

Anybody know if there are plans to release this set?

Unreleased BBC 1967-1971

Track List:
1. Mean Old World
2. I Need Your Love
3. May I Have A Talk With You
4. Shady Little Baby
5. Wine Whiskey & Women
6. Lazy Poker Blues
7. My Baby
8. Love That Burns
9. Yonder's Wall
10. Psychedelic Song
11. Dead Shrimp Blues
12. Fool That I Used To Be
13. Dragonfly
14. Start Again
15. Get Like You Used To Be
16. You Need Love
17. Watch Out For Me
18. Oh Well - version 2

Peter Green - guitar, vocals
Danny Kirwan - guitar, vocals
Jeremy Spencer - guitar, vocals
John McVie - bass
Mick Fleetwood - drums
Eddie Boyd - vocals

Tracks 13-15: with Christine McVie - piano, vocals

Is that the remaining unreleased songs from the early years? I've heard some of these on youtube and I'm a big fan. I'm puzzled why these, a remastered Then Play On, and the actual studio B-sides (Purple Dancer, World in Harmony) haven't been released.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As to the numbers recorded for the BBC:

‘Mean Old World’ – this is the only number which I have never seen mentioned in any of the published sessionographies of Fleetwood Mac, or even in Ken Garner’s “In Session Tonight – The Complete Radio 1 Recordings”

‘A Talk With You’ - this was apparently recorded twice, the first time on August 27, 1968 (broadcast October 13 of that year) and then again on May 14, 1969 (broadcast June 02, 1969)- one of them is in circulation on bootleg, but it is impossible to know which – most likely it is the earlier version

‘Shady Little Baby’ is a Duster Bennett number on which he takes the lead vocal

‘Lazy Poker Blues’ was actually from a BBC Television broadcast and is available on “The Vaudeville Years of Fleetwood Mac”

‘My Baby is Sweet’ – was also recorded twice – on April 16, 1968 (available on bootleg) and for the same television broadcast as ‘Lazy Poker Blues’ and is also on “The Vaudeville Years of Fleetwood Mac”

‘Love That Burns’ – see previous two numbers

‘Look on Yonder’s Wall’ can be found on bootleg under the title ‘Crutch and Cane’
‘Psychedelic Song’ can be found on bootleg under the titles, ‘Delta Head’ or ‘Intergalactic Magicians Walking Through Pools of Velvet Darkness’

‘Fool That I Used to Be’ – I am not familiar with any song, by Fleetwood Mac, or anyone else by that title –
If it is ‘A Fool No More’, that was released on “Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac Live at the BBC”

‘Watch Out For Me’ – I assume that this is ‘Watch Out’ – to the best of my knowledge, this was never recorded for the BBC

‘Oh Well’ – I am not certain as to what the “Version 2” designation stands for…
This number was recorded three times for the BBC:
For ‘Monster Music Mash’ on BBC TV on September 10, 1969 (broadcast October 07, 1969)
For BBC Radio, on October o6, 1969 (broadcast October 12, 1969)
And for the “Top of the Pops” BBC TV on October 30, 1969 – I believe that this is the version heard on “The Vaudeville Years of Fleetwood Mac”

Unless there is an incorrect title, Eddie Boyd does not sing (or play) on any of these titles

There are still a number of other numbers which have yet to surface even on bootleg and it is a shame, as the BBC sessions seem to bring out the best in the band

Hope this was of some help

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 07-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Senior Ledgie

Yes, it does help. I think I remember reading Fleetwood saying there were more official releases to come from the BBC sessions in the liner notes. I saw this tracklist on a website, but you can't download it any more. It's too bad Mr. Green isn't more active in sharing his old tunes. I think they would be ready for release in a month if he so chose.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Senior Ledgie

I bought the CD (bootleg) so I will provide my track by track take of this compilation
Old 03-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul7 View Post
Anybody know if there are plans to release this set?

Unreleased BBC 1967-1971

Track List:
1. Mean Old World (Not bad mono sound, some classic pre-Kirwan, Green guitar going on, bends and double stops a plenty)
2. I Need Your Love (Green on vocal and harmonica, Spencer on piano. Definitely sounds early **This is not "Need Your Love So Bad"**)
3. May I Have A Talk With You (Kirwan, not the greatest quality, but some great playing)
4. Shady Little Baby (Like he said, Duster Bennett w/ the Mac)
5. Wine Whiskey & Women (Definitely an Eddie Boyd number with Mac backing him up)
6. Lazy Poker Blues (alternate version in bad quality w/ lead guitar)
7. My Baby (Spencer on vocals, slide, and Green on another guitar. Bad quality)
8. Love That Burns (This is the version without the horns, doesn't sound bad if you're used to bootlegs but nowhere near an official release.)
9. Yonder's Wall (Pretty awesome Spencer song with Green on harmonica, in bad quality)
10. Psychedelic Song (Spencer singing and I love Green's guitar playing on this. Like he was a natural west coast acid rocker. Shame the quality sucks)
11. Dead Shrimp Blues (Green alone on an acoustic. Amazing, except for the quality that makes it sound like Robert Johnson's long lost cousin)
12. Fool That I Used To Be (This is the Spencer: Have to Laugh song with Green on guitar and Spence on piano. Great version, horrible bootleg sound)
13. Dragonfly (The next 3 songs are the FM right after Green quit, before Welch, on BBC. Kirwan is playing great but unfortunately the sound quality needs Fleetwood to lay the hammer down on unreleased gems)
14. Start Again
15. Get Like You Used To Be
16. You Need Love (Stellar version with Green and Kirwan. Please remaster this!)
17. Watch Out For Me (Indeed what he said, seems like the album version)
18. Oh Well - version 2 (Pretty sure this is just the A side in bad quality)

Peter Green - guitar, vocals
Danny Kirwan - guitar, vocals
Jeremy Spencer - guitar, vocals
John McVie - bass
Mick Fleetwood - drums
Eddie Boyd - vocals

Tracks 13-15: with Christine McVie - piano, vocals

Is that the remaining unreleased songs from the early years? I've heard some of these on youtube and I'm a big fan. I'm puzzled why these, a remastered Then Play On, and the actual studio B-sides (Purple Dancer, World in Harmony) haven't been released.
So that is what I've come up with. A few gems that definitely deserve to be remastered!
Old 03-06-2013, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

‘I Need Your Love’ was performed on “Top Gear” on May 27th 1968 (pre-Kirwan). It is listed in the BBC logs under the title ‘[B]That Ain’t It[B]', the title that Chess artist Jimmy Rogers recorded it under, and whose arrangement Fleetwood Mac uses.
The same song, back under the title ‘I Need Your Love’ is also on “Blues Jam in Chicago: Vol. 2”, with “Big” Walter Horton on harmonica and vocal.

‘Wine, Whiskey, Women’ is a cover of a number originally recorded by Papa Lightfoot. The track comes from a marathon session recorded for “Top Gear” on August 27th 1968 (this was one of Kirwan’s earliest sessions with the band, but I don’t believe he plays on this number.)
The reason that Green’s vocal is almost unrecognizable (his cadences give it away) is that he is singing into the harmonica mike which distorts his voice (something that the original artist did also)

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder