Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

R.I.P, Bob.
His anecdote about him auditioning for Greeny always makes me laugh.
"Do you know you namesake, the famous Peter Green?"
"I AM Peter Green, you twat!"

Or something like that...
Old 10-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thumbs up Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
Wow. More seasoned fans really do hate Rumours. O_o. I never understood the hate, but different strokes for different folks. I just find it a little unfair that the artists as a whole are being judged for only what they do with the Fleetwood Mac they've been drifting away from for years. Yes, the band has had better days. But so have alot of the old greats. But individually, some wonderful things are happening for the members. On a personal level, Lindsey Buckingham is as vital as ever. Whereas I didn't enjoy Stevie's album much at all, but she still brings in the fans. I can't help but feel that the band is judged because they're not constantly shoving material down our throats. I'd rather them take many years to make an album I love, instead of them pumping out album after album of mediocre dreck as many contemporary artists do.
Never understood it either. Some folks don't let us move on. I've heard about similar eye-rolling sentiments to mine from others regarding such attitudes.
Eric: "Come on Eric, quit messin' about. Give us that old Les Paul/Marshall stuff like before..."
or
Mark: "Let's hear the old stuff. When is DS having a reunion?"

'No man having tasted the old wine, straightway desires the new.' I suppose some of us have to live with that.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
We've never had to say that before about a member of Fleetwood Mac.

Michele
Yup... that's exactly what came to my mind immediately... RIP Bob.

Matt
Old 10-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually I was thinking more along the lines that it was 50 years of Fleetwood Mac, I forgot about Rumours.

I was hoping that Brunning would release another album from his De Luxe Blues Band, but obviously that is not to be now. I noticed on one of the pages that have sprung up since his death a comment about how he had been playing with a band fairly recently. No idea of any more info about that though.

Given the past (and present?) drug abuse and/or alcohol abuse of people like Dave Walker, Danny Kirwan, Peter Green, Stevie Nicks, Bob Welch and of course Mick Fleetwood and John McVie, it seems cruel that Mr Brunning, probably one of the clean-living Mac members, who had a 30 year teaching career, should be the first to pass away.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:37 PM
Junior Ledgie

RIP Bob

He played bass in Long Grey Mare and I Believe My Time Ain't Long. Two favorites of mine.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I just spit my cereal across the room. (Don't know why i'm eating at 4 am) but wow.
This is terribly sad I can't believe it! /

RIP Bob

The first time we've had to say this about a member, sadly won't be the last, but hopefully not for a while!
Old 10-22-2011, 06:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
RIP Bob

He played bass in Long Grey Mare and I Believe My Time Ain't Long. Two favorites of mine.
He also made a claim somewhere that he played uncredited on other tracks when McVie was too drunk to play. I don't know if that is widely accepted or not though?
Old 10-22-2011, 07:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok now here is a question of the Brunning fans. Both of you...

I knew I had read somewhere about the number of albums that Bob had released so I went looking back in the news section of this page (well the Penguin bit of this site) and found the following quote

"The grandfather gave up the life of a full-time bluesman to teach, but has been playing in various line-ups and has just recorded his 43rd album."

Now I was wondering how accurate that figure was...

So to my count:

1 x Five's Company album
1 x Cub Scout album - Songs For Your Enjoyment
3 x Fleetwood Mac albums (Live at the Marquee, Pious Bird of Good Omen and PG's FM) I know this is one bootleg and three tracks, but..
1 x Savoy Brown album (and that is really stretching the truth a bit)
2 x Tramp Albums
4 x Brunning Sunflower albums
8 x De Luxe Blues Band albums
3 x BB Blues Club Albums (although did he appear on all of them?)

That gives us a total of 23 albums.

We could stretch that further by mentioning the Rarities album, and even the Tramp 1974 album by Jo-Ann Kelly (which I think he was on some tracks). Admittedly Long Grey Mare pops up on a few albums but that would really be grasping at straws.

I know he guested on a couple of albums by Bob Hall as well although I don't know which ones, etc. I'm guessing he may have turned up on albums by Dave Kelly, Danny Adler, etc, although once again I'm guessing at that.

Even then, would that be classified as "recording" 43 albums.

That article and the "43 albums" has annoyed and niggled at me for 10 years. I guess now is as good a time as any to ask the question...

Last edited by chriskisn; 10-22-2011 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: Missed out an FM album...
Old 10-22-2011, 08:16 AM
Junior Ledgie

Maybe this 43 albums figure includes a lot of guest appearances on obscure british blues bands along the years. Don't have a clue though.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Ok now here is a question of the Brunning fans. Both of you...

I knew I had read somewhere about the number of albums that Bob had released so I went looking back in the news section of this page (well the Penguin bit of this site) and found the following quote

"The grandfather gave up the life of a full-time bluesman to teach, but has been playing in various line-ups and has just recorded his 43rd album."

Now I was wondering how accurate that figure was...

So to my count:

1 x Five's Company album
1 x Cub Scout album - Songs For Your Enjoyment
3 x Fleetwood Mac albums (Live at the Marquee, Pious Bird of Good Omen and PG's FM) I know this is one bootleg and three tracks, but..
1 x Savoy Brown album (and that is really stretching the truth a bit)
2 x Tramp Albums
4 x Brunning Sunflower albums
8 x De Luxe Blues Band albums
3 x BB Blues Club Albums (although did he appear on all of them?)

That gives us a total of 23 albums.

We could stretch that further by mentioning the Rarities album, and even the Tramp 1974 album by Jo-Ann Kelly (which I think he was on some tracks). Admittedly Long Grey Mare pops up on a few albums but that would really be grasping at straws.

I know he guested on a couple of albums by Bob Hall as well although I don't know which ones, etc. I'm guessing he may have turned up on albums by Dave Kelly, Danny Adler, etc, although once again I'm guessing at that.

Even then, would that be classified as "recording" 43 albums.

That article and the "43 albums" has annoyed and niggled at me for 10 years. I guess now is as good a time as any to ask the question...
Yeah I think this is including compilations. Actually I bet it would total a lot more than 43 if you included every redundant release related to any recording he ever played on but my guess is they probably took that number from his allmusic.com "credits" listings which I'd guess looks roughly around 43 (but I never counted them) though there are a couple on there that were recorded by another Bob Brunning (John Stewart's Bullets In The Hour Glass, Rip Masters' Big Red '57, etc.).

I have seen write ups like this on other artists where they say "(so and so) has appeared on nearly 900 albums (etc.)" and this could be true for the Waddy Wachtel's of the world but the artists I was reading about (can't remember who now but will post if I do remember) were not session players by any stretch so I think it was safe to say in those cases they HAD to be including comps.

However please do let those of us interested know if you come across anything he played on (where the recordings in question have not already appeared in some form) and I'll do the same if I come across anything as well.

John
Old 10-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well if you count the Allmusic.com numbers it comes to 49 or so...which would make sense. Especially as it only lists 3 of the DBB albums!

Though here is a question John, do you have the compilation of Brunning Sunflower called Long Old Road? I didn't even know it existed, and the next question is, is there anything on there that isn't on the other albums. Oh and what the hell is Disc 3? Never heard of those songs. They are listed as being written by Hutto. I've heard of J.B. Hutto but is that him, and what does he have to do with Brunning Sunflower? Was Disc 3 a short tribute disc?

Thanks

Last edited by chriskisn; 10-22-2011 at 08:51 PM..
Old 10-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stunning how these questions arise only AFTER his passing....
R.I.P. Bob
Old 10-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk View Post
Stunning how these questions arise only AFTER his passing....
R.I.P. Bob
You couldn't get Mr Brunning to answer questions when he was alive, so we might have better luck now. Refer to the Q&A which he disappeared from part way through, or ask John about his dealings with him.

Nevertheless, his passing gives us a chance to reflect on his career...
Old 10-23-2011, 07:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Well if you count the Allmusic.com numbers it comes to 49 or so...which would make sense. Especially as it only lists 3 of the DBB albums!

Though here is a question John, do you have the compilation of Brunning Sunflower called Long Old Road? I didn't even know it existed, and the next question is, is there anything on there that isn't on the other albums. Oh and what the hell is Disc 3? Never heard of those songs. They are listed as being written by Hutto. I've heard of J.B. Hutto but is that him, and what does he have to do with Brunning Sunflower? Was Disc 3 a short tribute disc?

Thanks
Long Old Road was just a box set compilation of the Brunning Sunflower albums plus the JB Hutto album the Brunning Sunflower band played on as Hutto's backing band (Hipshakin' Live In London)

http://www.discog.fleetwoodmac.net/discog.php?pid=389

As far as I know that's the only way (as of now) to get that album on CD and I found the Trojan 2fers of the Sunflower albums to be of better use than the ones included in this box so I kept the Hutto disc (since they are mini LP replicas) and sold the rest (the minimalist that I am).

Quote:
You couldn't get Mr Brunning to answer questions when he was alive, so we might have better luck now. Refer to the Q&A which he disappeared from part way through, or ask John about his dealings with him.

Nevertheless, his passing gives us a chance to reflect on his career...
Yes, I don't want to kick him on the way to the burial ground but the nicest way to say it is I just found it strange that in his books he seems to gleefully talk about his times to anyone that wants to hear about them but then when we did converse it was almost like he was annoyed. I mean, I understand he might feel embarrassed not remembering which songs he played on from some of the albums he's been on over the years but I never meant it that way, I didnt expect him to remember those details but just wanted to go through the process of asking him the question so I could then walk away knowing I asked and he doesn't remember you know so I wouldn't always think "maybe if I asked him he'd have recalled" and just found it odd he seemed to be really into talking about his musical travels not only in his books but the liner notes he'd do for CD reissues etc. yet it was as if you were asking him personal questions when just asking him about the recordings so I just found that to be a contradiction is all.

Still, like Chris says, we can look at his recorded works now with pride regarding the quality his body of work has (given he ended up being what might be referred to many as a "semi pro" music career next to his educational career).

John
Old 10-23-2011, 09:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
Long Old Road was just a box set compilation of the Brunning Sunflower albums plus the JB Hutto album the Brunning Sunflower band played on as Hutto's backing band (Hipshakin' Live In London)

http://www.discog.fleetwoodmac.net/discog.php?pid=389

As far as I know that's the only way (as of now) to get that album on CD and I found the Trojan 2fers of the Sunflower albums to be of better use than the ones included in this box so I kept the Hutto disc (since they are mini LP replicas) and sold the rest (the minimalist that I am).

Yes, I don't want to kick him on the way to the burial ground but the nicest way to say it is I just found it strange that in his books he seems to gleefully talk about his times to anyone that wants to hear about them but then when we did converse it was almost like he was annoyed. I mean, I understand he might feel embarrassed not remembering which songs he played on from some of the albums he's been on over the years but I never meant it that way, I didnt expect him to remember those details but just wanted to go through the process of asking him the question so I could then walk away knowing I asked and he doesn't remember you know so I wouldn't always think "maybe if I asked him he'd have recalled" and just found it odd he seemed to be really into talking about his musical travels not only in his books but the liner notes he'd do for CD reissues etc. yet it was as if you were asking him personal questions when just asking him about the recordings so I just found that to be a contradiction is all.

Still, like Chris says, we can look at his recorded works now with pride regarding the quality his body of work has (given he ended up being what might be referred to many as a "semi pro" music career next to his educational career).

John
Thanks John, I knew that we would have discussed it before had there been anything different from the other BSBB albums. The Hutto one confused me slightly for a minute though.

I think I said to you before John, I have always thought of Brunning Sunflower and De Luxe Blues Band as being like going to your local bar and seeing a really good blues band play. They weren't in the league of Fleetwood Mac, but they were enjoyable nonetheless.