User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
The instrumentation is pleasant but jars with the lyrics and the disgusted tone of his vocal (appropriate considering the subject matter).

The lyrics are generic and unimpressive; the chorus is especially lazy. It doesn't even make sense. "I'm so sick of you / No one else will ever do / I'm so sick of you." It's like he was looking for a rhyme and didn't even care if it had a logic to it. No one else will ever do in order to make him sick? Or are we supposed to insert "but" in there? At any rate, could there be a more uninspired lyric than "No one else will ever do"? And, of course, it gets repeated ad nauseum.

I see it as a reflection of the mental paradox that I assume is portrayed in the movie. You're in a rut. Your spouse takes you for granted. The spouse's habits are ultra annoying. Yet if you had to do it all over again, you couldn't imagine yourself with anyone else and can't think of a life without them even if you do want some changes in the relationship. So, I don't think the chorus is nonsensical but I agree with you about "no one else will ever do" . That is about as lame and sixties dated a lyric "as filled me with all of his charms" is. Michele
Old 12-17-2012, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I see it as a reflection of the mental paradox that I assume is portrayed in the movie. You're in a rut. Your spouse takes you for granted. The spouse's habits are ultra annoying. Yet if you had to do it all over again, you couldn't imagine yourself with anyone else and can't think of a life without them even if you do want some changes in the relationship. So, I don't think the chorus is nonsensical but I agree with you about "no one else will ever do" . That is about as lame and sixties dated a lyric "as filled me with all of his charms" is. Michele
HEY!!! It's the poet that he is!

Old 12-17-2012, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
HEY!!! It's the poet that he is!
except he never claimed he's a poet.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey told Charlie Rose that when he first met Stevie at that youth function she considered herself a poet even then and she gave him some of her stuff (don't know if she wrote it for him or just recited it or what) and he said he was quick to criticize it and added that nothing's changed.

Michele
Old 12-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Also brings to mind:
"I'll be there if you want me to
No one else that can ever dooooo"

Lalalala. I like it. I like it very much.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"Sick of You" appeared in a scene in the movie. It was played as a transition song at the beginning of a party. You could hear Lindsey faintly.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post
"Sick of You" appeared in a scene in the movie. It was played as a transition song at the beginning of a party. You could hear Lindsey faintly.
yeah i actually thought it sounded better as used in the movie, than when i just hear that song as a track.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Ledgie

Smile Finally got some peace in his mind????

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I dunno - I was thinking about this song apart from the movie, bcz I read somewhere that he may have had this laying around before Apatow asked him for some songs. About lyrics, Lindsey often (!!) compares his solo work to painting - I think he looks at each song component individually as to how it contributes to the whole. Also, I think in his SFSM interview, he says that he's moved away from 'hey baby you left me' type lyrics and moved on to lyrics that are more abstract, and that he considers that growth. Given that, I would have to think that the ultra-simple, easy-rhymy lyric is very deliberate.
Maybe the song is describing some frustration in coming up with more complex lyrics – they are coming out to simplistic, too obvious. They are keeping him up at night; he can’t keep them from his mind. He even recycles the easy ‘no one else could ever do’ from Monday Morning. The ‘You,’ then, could be referring to himself/writer’s block of his own creative powers. And so the lyrics reflect exactly that.
Orrrrrrrrr, it could just as easily be about being sick of the never-ending analysis of the attraction/tension between him and SN. How exhausting to be defined and dogged by that your whole creative life – like being one half of a Siamese twin! You can’t ignore that the word ‘dream’ is in every verse – this could be a clear reference to SN. As always, he ends with one foot out the door – never leaving all the way. And again, the line ‘no else could ever do’ is a reference to that – it’s as if he’s saying ‘even after all this time, since the day I wrote Monday Morning - dang, that’s still true!?’ – like he doesn’t even believe it himself. If that’s the case, though, I like that the melody and tenor of the song seem more resigned and accepting of this fact – almost amused by it even. Maybe he’s finally accepting his past in his own Lindsey way – yeah, I’m sick of it already, but you know, it is what it is, let’s just make some nice music.
And I agree, lovely outro!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniper View Post
And I agree, lovely outro!
Great outro (I don't know if this a music industry term or if Elle coined it, but I like it). The Sick of You outro is on par with the studio version of Bleed to Love Her and Rock Away Blind. I don't believe LB is much of a "jam session player" (and may have stated such in the past, although the song Tusk did grow out of a rehearsal "jam" session), but the outro on these songs have a great "feel" to them (can't describe it very well, just that they make me feel like swaying to the sounds of the music). Sick of You and Bleed to Love Her outros are very much the FM sound that LB is responsible for. This could be a poll question - LB's best or your favorite outro.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan View Post
Great outro (I don't know if this a music industry term or if Elle coined it, but I like it). The Sick of You outro is on par with the studio version of Bleed to Love Her and Rock Away Blind. I don't believe LB is much of a "jam session player" (and may have stated such in the past, although the song Tusk did grow out of a rehearsal "jam" session), but the outro on these songs have a great "feel" to them (can't describe it very well, just that they make me feel like swaying to the sounds of the music). Sick of You and Bleed to Love Her outros are very much the FM sound that LB is responsible for. This could be a poll question - LB's best or your favorite outro.
i have no idea how legit the term is, but i can't take any credit for it.

you know, i've seen tweets floating around saying LB is the best outro guitarist / songwriter there is. he does have so many great outros, it would be interesting to try to list them, or pick favorites.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniper View Post
Maybe the song is describing some frustration in coming up with more complex lyrics – they are coming out to simplistic, too obvious. They are keeping him up at night; he can’t keep them from his mind. He even recycles the easy ‘no one else could ever do’ from Monday Morning. The ‘You,’ then, could be referring to himself/writer’s block of his own creative powers. And so the lyrics reflect exactly that.
I think some lyrics are definitely simplistic for a reason, like Oh Diane. In fact, if the couple were older, I might even think that Sick of You was meant to be retro, to mirror the sound of the early years of their relationship. But since they got together about 15 years ago, late nineties, I don't think that's the case. In Lindsey's personal life, his early years would be the sixties and lyrics like those would fit in there, certainly.

Michele
Old 12-30-2012, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I pictured him staring right into Stevie's eyes and playing this and I laughed the whole way through.
But I like the song a lot, it sounds great.