6. Shut Us Down
7. Go Insane
8. Never Going Back Again
9. Big Love
10. So Afraid
11. Go Your Own Way
12. Trouble
13. Seeds We Sow
From LB's perspective, I wonder if he believes this represents the "Essential" tracks that best represent and reflect his career. I have seen "Essential" collections of other artists and thought it was just another way for record executives to sell another "best of" package. But this collection of songs appears to be hand selected by LB, without the influence of anyone else (I think LB listened to others, especially Neale, when developing the setlist in the past). I also think these are the songs that best represent his live performances - different from the studio versions. I wonder what songs LB would pick for a "Best of Studio Tracks"?
Old 11-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan View Post
From LB's perspective, I wonder if he believes this represents the "Essential" tracks that best represent and reflect his career. I have seen "Essential" collections of other artists and thought it was just another way for record executives to sell another "best of" package. But this collection of songs appears to be hand selected by LB, without the influence of anyone else (I think LB listened to others, especially Neale, when developing the setlist in the past). I also think these are the songs that best represent his live performances - different from the studio versions. I wonder what songs LB would pick for a "Best of Studio Tracks"?
that's interesting, and you might be onto something, but i think only partially.

when asked why not some additional songs, LB said on several occasions that this was the first time ever he was doing this sort of tour, and wanted to make sure it "works". that people are not bored, that the show has an arc, and that he keeps everybody's interest from the start to finish.

he said he knew that he can get on the stage alone and do a number of acoustic songs (and all 6 he did on SWS tour were included again)... but i guess he thought you need some rockier/electric songs if you don't want to lull people to sleep? (and if you want to be essential LB! there are number of other performers who do purely acoustic / mellower sets, but i don't think LB can stay mellow for too long ) and he was probably unsure about how backing track thing will work on stage with him alone...

imo, which seems to be also the opinion of both critics and audiences who saw this tour (and/or bought One-Man Show recording), results were spectacular.

if he does this again (and i really hope he does!! )i suspect he might re-work more of his electric songs, possibly including backing tracks, next time around, as well as re-work more songs acoustically.

so while this setlist was a nice representation of the songs throughout his career, and it worked great, i'm not sure that it was meant to be essential LB.

plus, he should have had Rock Away Blind and Down On Rodeo included as a regular part of the setlist, if you ask me.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
plus, he should have had Rock Away Blind and Down On Rodeo included as a regular part of the setlist, if you ask me.

oh and Lindsey - you BETTER include Walk A Thin Line in next year's FM setlist!!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-25-2012, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
imo, which seems to be also the opinion of both critics and audiences who saw this tour
But if critics and audiences hated the tour that would not make it less a triumph to those who liked it. I don't think the number of people who agree with you makes the opinion any more or less "correct." In the other thread, you talked about someone being one of the "rare" people who didn't like the one man show. I don't know why rarity matters. If you don't like it, you don't like it. I don't think the number of people who share a view validate it. We all know how peculiar and singular tastes can be.

Will the amount of positive feedback Lindsey gets change his future choices? Probably. He said that it was because he noticed the response that Big Love/ Go Insane got during his solo performances that he brought it into the FM show, so crowd response matters a lot in the future trajectory I know.
Therefore, I love learning what the general consensus is about something, which is why I appreciate reviews and the tweets you share so much. It's like polling.

But to the extent that crowd sourcing is used to suggest that someone is right or wrong, I reject it.

Michele
Old 11-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
But if critics and audiences hated the tour that would not make it less a triumph to those who liked it. I don't think the number of people who agree with you makes the opinion any more or less "correct." In the other thread, you talked about someone being one of the "rare" people who didn't like the one man show. I don't know why rarity matters. If you don't like it, you don't like it. I don't think the number of people who share a view validate it. We all know how peculiar and singular tastes can be.

Will the amount of positive feedback Lindsey gets change his future choices? Probably. He said that it was because he noticed the response that Big Love/ Go Insane got during his solo performances that he brought it into the FM show, so crowd response matters a lot in the future trajectory I know.

Therefore, I love learning what the general consensus is about something, which is why I appreciate reviews and the tweets you share so much. It's like polling.

But to the extent that crowd sourcing is used to suggest that someone is right or wrong, I reject it.
agree with every single point you brought up here

Quote:
that's interesting bit of info about one-man BL and GO versions - i didn't know he said that!

i also wish LB would never ever speed up his voice on recordings again. and i hope that whatever general opinions will be expressed, via crowdsourcing or "legitimate" critical reviews, will back up that notion.

Last edited by elle; 11-25-2012 at 07:34 PM..
Old 11-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Senior Ledgie

Hello to everybody, Im a 18 years old Italian boy, pretty new to this great forum which is about a great band. Well after this introduction, I want to ask you a thing. Its possible for me to download this album and where ?

Lindsey is my favourite member of The Mac (but this is a preference of mine, everyone of this band is special)

PS: Another little question

Have Lindsey ever played Slow Dancing and Holyday Road live ?
Old 11-25-2012, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormwind View Post
Hello to everybody, Im a 18 years old Italian boy, pretty new to this great forum which is about a great band. Well after this introduction, I want to ask you a thing. Its possible for me to download this album and where ?

Lindsey is my favourite member of The Mac (but this is a preference of mine, everyone of this band is special)

PS: Another little question

nice to have you here - welcome!!

yes, you can download this album from itunes here - https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/on...ign-mpt=uo%3D2

LB regularly played Holiday Road on his 2006/2007 Under The Skin tour; i think there's one live version of Slow Dancing somewhere (i've never heard it), but not sure from which tour - someone else might know.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
nice to have you here - welcome!!

yes, you can download this album from itunes here - https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/on...ign-mpt=uo%3D2

LB regularly played Holiday Road on his 2006/2007 Under The Skin tour; i think there's one live version of Slow Dancing somewhere (i've never heard it), but not sure from which tour - someone else might know.
Thank you for the url
Old 11-25-2012, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thank you for the url
sure!

you might have to use Italian itunes access site though? (maybe this link will automatically take you to it if you are accessing from Italy)

Old 11-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
sure!

you might have to use Italian itunes access site though? (maybe this link will automatically take you to it if you are accessing from Italy)
Yes I think so
Old 11-26-2012, 12:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

When I saw Lindsey in Solana Beach, he also did Holiday Road in 1993, but it wasn't a normal part of his OOTC setlist. Maybe he didn't like the way it sounded or something, because he didn't keep it throughout the tour.

I don't know about him ever doing Slow Dancing.

Michele
Old 11-27-2012, 06:25 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
When I saw Lindsey in Solana Beach, he also did Holiday Road in 1993, but it wasn't a normal part of his OOTC setlist. Maybe he didn't like the way it sounded or something, because he didn't keep it throughout the tour.

I don't know about him ever doing Slow Dancing.

Michele
Its a shame that I cant find a perfomance of Slow Dancing. Probably he never played it live.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Slow Dancing

As far as I know, he has never performed Slow Dancing live. On the Out of the Cradle tour, he played Holiday Road live at a few radio stations, including WCBN Boston (3-26-1993) and also a segment at a Detroit Radio station. Both versions are out there as bootlegs. An official version is on the Bass Performance Hall DVD/CD.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan View Post
As far as I know, he has never performed Slow Dancing live. On the Out of the Cradle tour, he played Holiday Road live at a few radio stations, including WCBN Boston (3-26-1993) and also a segment at a Detroit Radio station. Both versions are out there as bootlegs. An official version is on the Bass Performance Hall DVD/CD.
Thank You

Now I know he played Holyday Road for a while
Old 11-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Blinded by Sound
CD Review: Lindsey Buckingham - 'One Man Show'
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2012, by Kit O'Toole

http://blindedbysound.com/post/viewp...-one-man-show-

"I'm not a young man, but I'm a child in my soul," Lindsey Buckingham sings in "Not Too Late." Indeed, this lyric perfectly summarizes his multifaceted career, one that has experienced fascinating twists and turns. His guitar playing skills, highly personal songwriting, sometimes eccentric arrangements, and his emotional voice have added up to a sound that is uniquely Lindsey Buckingham, both with and without Fleetwood Mac. Time has found him downscaling production, letting his words and voice convey his complex themes. At the same time, his playing and singing have never sounded stronger, evoking the same rage and passion as in his younger days. His first solo acoustic live album, One Man Show, showcases his past successes and excitement for more musical experimentation in the future.

Unlike live albums that bear heavy editing, One Man Show encompasses an entire September 1, 2012 show from Des Moines, Iowa. According to Buckingham, the mix is "taken right off the console mix, with a couple of room mikes added in. It's live and raw, with no post-production." The result is a very intimate listening experience, sounding as if he is performing right in your living room. During the show, Buckingham draws from his group and solo years, re-imagining familiar hits and unearthing little-known album tracks. The entire album provides a rare peek into his creative process, his ability to lay his emotions bare in songs and even his often pounding guitar work.

Highlights include the aforementioned "Not Too Late," a wistful track off his 2003 solo album Under the Skin. His lyrics embody characteristics of insecurity about aging and his legacy: "Reading the paper, saw a review/ Said I was a visionary, but nobody knew/ Now that's been a problem/ Feeling unseen," he wails plaintively. His hit single "Trouble" benefits from a much slower tempo and stripped-down arrangement, with Buckingham pitching down his voice to make the line "I think I'm in trouble" sound more ominous. Unlike the upbeat original, here he hestiates at diving headfirst into love's troubled waters. "It's been so long since I held ya/ I've forgotten what love is for," he sings, letting his voice tremble with desperation.

One track that undergoes a radical transformation is "Big Love," the 1987 Fleetwood Mac hit from Tango in the Night. The original suffered from over-bloated production; to rectify this wrong, Buckingham turns it into a virtual exorcism. His throbbing guitar lines propel the song (often sounding as if two or more guitarists are plucking along), his voice soars and dips, growling and screaming, adding new meaning to the lines "I wake up alone/ With it all/ I wake up/ But only to fall." Anyone who doubts Buckingham's talent as a guitarist need only listen to the track to be convinced.

To satisfy the crowd, Buckingham includes the iconic Fleetwood Mac song "Go Your Own Way"; though he has undoubtedly performed this track several times, he still conjures up images of love gone sour by snarling words like "shacking up's all you want to do." At the same time, he demonstrates his ability to write tender, delicate songs as well, such as the underrated Rumours song "Never Going Back Again" or the lovely instrumental "Stephanie."

In sum, One Man Show serves as a master class in songwriting, musicianship, and singing. Buckingham has always been in a class of his own, forging his own unique creative path. This thoroughly enjoyable concert celebrates these qualities, and also demonstrates that he still has much music left in him.