User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoork_1 View Post
Thanks, I think this is useful for all of us that admire Green's soulful playing (and ability to handle gear).
If this is true, then the FM live versions' of "Underway", are in Jimi Hendrix/Jeff Beck territory. Try Boston Tea Party vol. 2 ("Rattlesnake Shake").

Ritchie Blackmore also used the volume knob technique, but Peter Green was the master!
Old 01-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Don't blame the messenger.

Gary Moore's guitar tone while using Peter Green's Les Paul is crap at best. Moore over distorted the sound for no reason. Back in 1970 just give Peter Green a Fender Dual Showman amp with two cabs, a loudness(distortion) pedal, and a reverb box from Orange.

That tone was guitar perfection!
I doubt he used the Orange reverb with the Fender Amp Doesn't the Fender have it's own reverb built in ? He would have used that surely ?
The Orange reverb was designed to be used with the Orange amp, which had send and return sockets (after the pre amp section) on the front ,where the reverb unit was inserted This rev unit has a switch on the front to select "reverb only ",or "reverb plus clean feed". When used with the Orange amp it was set to "reverb only "as only some of the guitar signal was diverted to the send O/P.
Dont know if the Fender amp had similar send and returns- if not the Orange unit would have to be used between the guitar and the Fender amp . This is possible, but it would have to be on the Reverb plus clean feed setting(otherwise you get very distant rubber band-y sound - can be interesting ,but nothing like the sound Peter used ) you also have problems with too much signal going into the amp input ,so its quite distorted, unless you turn the volume on the Rev unit down a lot, which then ceases to disguise the noise and hum !
He would certainly have been using a footswitch to turn the reverb on /off mid song , but I've not heard of him using a loudness or distortion pedal .
Peter's tone was perfect I agree ,but Danny's tone seemed similar to me, yet as you so rightly point out, even on the same guitar Gary Moore could not sound like Peter.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
I doubt he used the Orange reverb with the Fender Amp ... [...]
Some "black face" Fender amps came with reverb built in, but not e.g. Dual Showman.

Vintage Fender amp does not have similar send and returns (as far as I know).

Think you're right about reverb and signal going into amp, though I recall that Orange reverb were involved at some point (and not only amps).

I agree, listening to FM today and Danny Kirwan's playin' gives me goosebumps.

Finding your own sound is a musicians dream I guess, but not all succeed to find such distinct "soundmark's" as PG and DK.

/z
Old 01-31-2012, 08:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoork_1 View Post
Some "black face" Fender amps came with reverb built in, but not e.g. Dual Showman.

/z
Zoork are you saying that Peter,and Danny , after the Orange period, used Dual Showmans, Silver covered Feder Amps and that no silver coloured Fender amps had built in reverb .? I'm pretty sure this can't be right?
Old 02-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Zoork are you saying that Peter,and Danny , after the Orange period, used Dual Showmans, Silver covered Feder Amps and that no silver coloured Fender amps had built in reverb .? I'm pretty sure this can't be right?
I meant/refered to "blackface" Dual Showmans (kind of a Twin Reverb without reverb)