User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Tango vocals

the Wikipedia entry for Tango in the Night has this section:

When Nicks did go to the studio, she often felt unmotivated. "I can remember going up there and not being happy to even be there...I guess I didn’t go very often..." With vocal sessions taking place in Buckingham's master bedroom, Nicks would ask for some brandy, drink a few shots, and eventually run through "four or five songs" intoxicated. Because of this, Buckingham had to remove most of Nicks' vocals. As a result, Nicks is almost entirely absent on the majority of Buckingham and McVie's tracks.[14] To make ends meet, Buckingham recorded some of the vocals himself using a Fairlight, an early sampling synthesizer.[15] For example, on "When I See You Again", some of the vocals weren't even sung by Nicks. Instead, Buckingham assembled the vocal track by taking words and sentences that weren't hers, and then tampered with them until they somewhat resembled Nicks' voice. After the middle eight, the rest of the song is sung in Buckingham's normal register. [5]

I think whoever put this is got the song wrong. It seems doubtful to me that the vocals on Wassamatta Baby aren't Stevie but are his computer generated faux Stevie vocals. He may well have cobbled it together using bits and pieces from various takes, but clearly they are referring to a different song on the album, one of his or Christine's where as they say she is actually missing on most of them, and often when it sounds like her it's really tweaked versions of LB's own vocals.

But which song are they referring to that they mistakenly referred to as WISYA?
Old 09-05-2017, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post

It seems doubtful to me that the vocals on Wassamatta Baby aren't Stevie but...
You'll find it hard for someone to take credit
for those vocals.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
for those vocals.
god I love this place!
Old 09-06-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
for those vocals.
Hahaha....that's funny
Old 09-06-2017, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There is someone out there who takes a LOT of liberties in editing Stevie's/FM's wiki pages. There was a whole entry (and maybe still is) for a Stevie solo album that never existed.

http://www.twitter.com/jtwill84
Old 09-06-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh2003 View Post
There is someone out there who takes a LOT of liberties in editing Stevie's/FM's wiki pages. There was a whole entry (and maybe still is) for a Stevie solo album that never existed.
Yes, it was the "Mirror Mirror" album entry, and while I was investigating Wikipedia to see how to correct them I happened to discover that much of those entries were done by WelcomeChris, I wouldn't be surprised if this was also a complete fabrication done by him.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Yes, it was the "Mirror Mirror" album entry, and while I was investigating Wikipedia to see how to correct them I happened to discover that much of those entries were done by WelcomeChris, I wouldn't be surprised if this was also a complete fabrication done by him.

Haha...he's still causing trouble. Got to give him some credit...for something.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 09-06-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Haha...he's still causing trouble. Got to give him some credit...for something.
Yes, for being a master in the art of douchebaggery.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OK but back to the original question-- despite any sh&t stirrers in the audience messing with Wikipedia, it is true that Lindsey has said on more than one occasion that he had to very much construct 'performances' from Stevie-- by literally cutting words or lines from all different takes and kluge-ing them together to sound like a single performance of the whole song. And that most of what sounds like her on background on his and Chris's songs was done with studio magic by him, altering his own voice digitally enough to make it sound like she is there in the mix.

I'm trying to figure out which are the most egregious examples of this-- whoever wrote the Wikipedia entry is wrong-- there are no vocals on Wassamatta baby that sound like Stevie that aren't actually Stevie- although you can tell in several sections where a vocal was taken from a different take and pasted in. And unlike one article said, LB doesn't sing the end of WISYA because she lost her voice but because he was trying to make a kinda drab song more interesting-- and having the male voice come in adds a totally different dynamic to the song (which totally works in my opinion).

She does sing the "can't disguise" on Little Lies, but probably nothing else. Anything sounding vaguely Stevie-ish is likely Lindsey's handiwork.

I never thought the grunts on Big Love sounded remotely like Stevie, but I guess I can see how very casual listeners might guess it was a woman and not Lindsey mucking with his own voice.

But I don't hear anything where I really think it's Stevie when it's not.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

This is a fascinating thread. While I may not believe all of it there is circumstantial evidence of a remote possibility.
Stevie was there briefly before rehab. This was one song she recorded then.
Lindsey was a crafty SOB on Tango. Everyone was asking who the female grunting was until he spilled the beans it was Lindsey speeding up his voice.
Stevie was absent during most of if not all of the Tango in the night sessions. We learn that even if Mick's first book even Christine lashed out at Stevie for not being there when Stevie complained about not having involvement with the album.
I think its a very real possibility Lindsey's vocals were added to the song when Stevie was not there. They needed her songs and she was not there.
Last piece of evidence is the Oooh my love from the Tango sessions. OMG I never heard a more out of it Stevie. She is singing like she is bored to death. It her worst singing demo ever. It could be the intense pressure on Lindsey to complete the project and not start over with Stevie drama. I totally believe Stevie drank heavily before singing in the Tango sessions. Just listen to Oooh my love. She sounds out of it and drunk.
Remember the band is not going to talk about what sad shape Stevie was in during 1986. We just get bits and pieces. This could be another piece. Maybe an exaggeration but I don't think totally out of the realm of possibilities. Now I am curious and need to listen to WISYA really close. From the first time I heard the song I thought all the wassa matter babies were a bit odd and too much. Even the Rolling Stone review of the album which was mostly positive made fun of that part.
GOSH, can you imagine the book Lindsey could write if he wanted to tell the truth.
OMG

Last edited by Macfan4life; 09-06-2017 at 05:14 PM..
Old 09-06-2017, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
GOSH, can you imagine the book Lindsey could write if he wanted to tell the truth.
OMG
He NEVER would do the book, but I'd pay big bucks for it, if it told ALL.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
If she keeps bashing him like she has....he just might. I would rather the call it quits as a band at this point and Lindsey write that book. Let there be another duo album instead. I've had it with her antics. And before you S fans all chime in, not more then a year ago I was the biggest fan, but she has squandered that very quickly.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
And before you S fans all chime in, not more then a year ago I was the biggest fan, but she has squandered that very quickly...
I have to admit it's taken me a little longer than
that to become a lesser fan.

It's hard to keep the flame a fire when the last
good thing she's done is over twenty years past.
Unless one counts SoundStage.

When she sees me again it will be over.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Very true. Lindsey would never go there especially at this point in their career. Lindsey is not a gossiper. When he left we were all very bitter because he was vague and beat around the bush for his leaving. After reading Mick's latest book and some things that have come to light from the Tango sessions, I completely understand why he could not tour or be around Mick and Stevie. Lindsey is very private. He has never given his side of the story as bluntly Mick and Stevie have the night of the big blowout and Christine's house.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:48 AM

I received these anonimous messages on Tumblr on this topic (definitely not creepy at all):

I am aware of the confusion regarding the WISYA's vocals, so I'll provide you with the quote I used. On “When I See You Again,” Nicks’ voice almost crumbles and shatters into atoms. “Stevie was the worst she’s ever been,” Buckingham told Uncut in 2013. “I didn’t recognize her...I had to pull performances out of words and lines and make parts that sounded like her that weren’t her.”

Btw, you can find that quote on Pitchfork's review of the Tango in the Night Deluxe set.

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 09-07-2017 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: grammar horror