Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-11-2004, 07:33 AM
joe

Default Thoughts on the new added songs

Just listened to the mp3s (courtesy of bluewhitefire, thank you very much) and just wanted to give my .02....

Sara....it's great but even if it sucked i'd still think it was great just to be back in the set again after all these years. i've been going to Stevie/Mac shows since 1986 hoping it would be in the set and it finally is. But i was impressed with what i heard so i know when i actually see and hear it live will be even better. I'm a little surprised though at the arrangement. For some reason i thought it was going to be more of an acoustic type arrangement. Lindsey's guitar sounded like the older live versions, which is cool, but i expected different. The only quirky thing about the song is that Stevie goes right into the "Drowning in the sea of love..." verses immediately after the other verses (for lack of better phrasing) which was different, but i guess this helps keep the pace up. anyway, i'm glad they nixed "gypsy" finally. it really never did anything for me live. plus, it's unfair to overlook "sara" in favor of "gypsy" when "gypsy" kind of "borrowed" some musical textures from "sara". One last thing, i'm really glad they didn't change the key.

"Destiny Rules"...i think this sounds great. There definately has been something added since the last time they did it. I think there's some added lyrics at the end too that i like. Something like "i can't believe that" or something. It definately has picked up in pace this time around.

"Don't Let Me Down Again"...So i see they've lowered the key...That's ok, it still sounded ok to me. I can't see why they dropped it. I question whether it works as an encore though. I expected to see it somewhere in the middle of the set. Maybe that's why it's lagging. I really hope they don't drop it. They better put something else rare in its place. Maybe that's where the sixth song is that Mick was talking about. Maybe they have a back up plan? They should have introduced as being a B/N song and maybe the more casual fan would have been more interested.

"I know I'm Not Wrong"...I don't know if i'm wild about this. I like that it's in the set but i don't like the lower key they're singing it in. Maybe it'll be better in person.

"Red Rover"....i really like this. I like the song. I don't know why everyone hates it here...it's got a melancholic feel to it (which i always gravitate towards)...So, i hope they keep it.

Anyway, that's it. I can't believe i'm planning on going to two shows (if not three) this summer. I wasn't going to go at all if the setlist didn't change. It's good to know that Stevie sounds like she's more energetic this time around.
That's really more important than the setlist change for me. She really seemed subdued last year. I'm not saying comatose, but just not very emotional or energetic.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

LOVE Red Rover.

LOVE Sara.

Don't Let Me Down Again is a bit different, but I like it.

LOOOOVE I Know I'm Not Wrong.

DESPISE Destiny Rules live. It's incredibly boring and flat.

I'm glad they got rid of Gypsy because it simply stunk live and I'm a bit disappointed the axed EOTW; that song was great.

Old 05-11-2004, 11:32 AM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
Just listened to the mp3s (courtesy of bluewhitefire, thank you very much) and just wanted to give my .02....
I listened to what I could. "Sara" sounds staid & even listless to me, like the carefully measured performances of it (in my opinion, a misreading) from 1988. Stevie approaches every song vocally these days with the same adagio moderato. If you electronically analyzed her sound wave, I'm sure you'd find a perfectly horizontal line. I can't help thinking that there's some sort of pernicious cause-&-effect relationship between her projection & the addition of the session players to the live mix in '87 (which is just about when she busted up).

"Not Wrong" sounds plodding to me, too -- I think because of Mick's drumming. It's all wrong. He plays the sixteenths on the hi-hat as if the band were doing "Dreams," instead of whacking on those toms in that quasi African way he used to. When you take the jungle beat out of "Not Wrong," what are you left with? "Dreams"?

It's too bad they dropped "DLMDA" because that is such a showcase for Lindsey's wicked guitar work. But dropping it (like Stevie refusing to put "Long Distance Winner" in her 1998 set list) seems yet another nail in the coffin of the CD release of "Buckingham Nicks."

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-11-2004, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I listened to what I could. "Sara" sounds staid & even listless to me, like the carefully measured performances of it (in my opinion, a misreading) from 1988.

I totally disagree...I think you should re-listen...there's a lot of higher notes than she normally goes for in this version of Sara...Of course they aren't what some singers would consider high notes, but for Stevie yes... the "call me...hooommeee...Sara" definetely not "monotonal."

I think that it sounds incredible---And I do not praise everything Stevie does, but this performance of Sara to me sounded phenomenal..if u listen past the low grade recording of it (no offense to whoever recorded it)..

JMO

Chris
Old 05-11-2004, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

"Don't Let Me Down Again" actually let me down, but not again- for the first time (love the irony). The lower key really blows and takes away all of the energy. It doesn't surprise me at all that they dropped it. Same scenario as it was with "Running Through the Garden" from the last leg. When they dropped the key, they dropped the song...

"Sara" is a thrill. However, with the exception of the end (from "Hooommmee" to the end) the vocal delivery is flat, almost robotic.

I'm still debating on whether or not to get tickets for this leg.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Red face I'll let ya know...

what I think when the Madison/Champaign shows I have traded for arrive (I am holding out hearing the new live songs til then)...

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 05-11-2004, 01:02 PM
stefan
This message has been deleted by stefan. Reason: already answered in different thread
Old 05-11-2004, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really think that the verdict is a little premature. The quality is just not good enough to get the nuances. Basicly, they drop the key in almost EVERY song. No problem, if the dynamic still exist. I got the impression that the dynamic is more or less there. So wait for verdict until you heard better recordings. And, please give SOME respect for the people who heard it live and were thrilled. Even if it's not studio-perfection or what you expected after hearing 1980-performances all your life, these performances still have a lot to offer. In comparison, Lindsey's ISA is vocally not the same as years ago, still it is a great performance, because he goes more out of control instumentally. The pace of DLMDA is fantastic, and it sounds like he plays it a lot cleaner then in the old days. The fact that the vocal is more low, doesnot take anything from the guitarperformance. And that adds to the song.

And yes, I'd like a more "tusky" drumstyle from Mick in IKINW. But on the other hand: This way, the song has more "rawhidyness" too it. I think that works out great. Come on, to compare it to Dreams is just not to be taken serious. There's so much more energy from that drumroll and pace of the song then on Dreams, even if you could be right technically. (which I don't think)

I really think those changes give something extra to the set. But, like Brian, I'll give my verdict after hearing some more.

gerald

Old 05-11-2004, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default This is only going on the bootlegs I've heard so far...

I really like I Know I'm Not Wrong (Thank you Joe, Gerald, Christy ). I think it sounds great. Lots of energy certainly. Sara sounds awsome too; it sounds just like it always did, which is good I guess. Destiny Rules is my favorite song on Say You Will, so of course I love it. It does sound better than last year. Red Rover is cool, albeit a little strange (as always), but I, like many of you think it translated really well onto stage. Don't Let Me Down Again (even though it was done only once so far!) sounded pretty good. A little off at times, and slower than normal, but it was nice to hear it nonetheless. Overall, these are definitely a big improvement to the setlist IMO.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I can't help thinking that there's some sort of pernicious cause-&-effect relationship between her projection & the addition of the session players to the live mix in '87
Though I thought the rest of your post was a bit negative for my taste, this is a interesting observation. One can seem to pinpoint Stevie becoming less vocally adventurous with the addition of the "backup band". I'm sure it's very easy to subconsciously slip into letting the backups compensate for you. I know Stevie always had the backup singers in her solo career (who we all love!), but they somehow seem much more invasive, if you will, with The Mac. Or it could just come back to the sedation of Klonopin, and then the subsequest absence of any drug use which may deem Stevie not as confident (vocally and/or otherwise) onstage as she was on coke. This has already been discussed to death, so I won't go on. The thing is, is that we all know she is still completely capable of singing with the same amount of adventure she always has (TISL Sorcerer, her SYW demos we heard in Destiny Rules, etc), so I tend to think it's other issues at play...either lack of that old confidence (I, for one, am happy to see her drug-free and will take her any way I can get her because she ~and we~ are lucky she's alive!) or (even more likely, IMO) desire to preserve her voice. We all know she used to blow her vocal chords singing the way she used to, and maybe she had to make a decision...continue to sing that way and risk losing her voice forever, or tone it down a little and be able to go on.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default "It is a fearful time.

Things are becoming less exciting and more real."

One of my favorite passages from Mick's book. How did Stevie know?

But in this crazy world there still is a little bit of sunshine, and today it appeared in a bootleg version of "Sara." Thanks to Mike B. for capturing the music, and bluewhitefire for sharing it.. I've had it on repeat.. "Rhiannon is afoot..." and she still breaks my heart. :-)
Old 05-11-2004, 08:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryHour
...continue to sing that way and risk losing her voice forever, or tone it down a little and be able to go on. [/B]
Right you are. We can see Lindsey's paying now for that very thing.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
Things are becoming less exciting and more real."

One of my favorite passages from Mick's book. How did Stevie know?

But in this crazy world there still is a little bit of sunshine, and today it appeared in a bootleg version of "Sara." Thanks to Mike B. for capturing the music, and bluewhitefire for sharing it.. I've had it on repeat.. "Rhiannon is afoot..." and she still breaks my heart. :-)
OMG - I was thinking sort of the same thing. I just love her.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 05-11-2004, 09:13 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
I really think that the verdict is a little premature. The quality is just not good enough to get the nuances.
This is very true. This show was recorded with my head between two speakers at the foot of the stage. (Great for a show experience, not so great for a recording!) I think alot of the muddiness that seems to appear during IKINW is not a good representation of how it came across. I encourage everyone to wait out for some more boots before totally dismissing how these songs sound.

As for my opinion of the new ones...it was 1 less than Mick led us to believe (Mick? Misleading us? No! ), but it still shook up the show considerably. I'm probably one of the more vocal fans when it comes to the setlist...I think it's a little embarassing that they stick to the same formula night after night after night. But with just these 5 songs, the changes impacted the whole show. It felt like a stronger set to me for some reason.

If they decide to put DLMDA back in the set (please!), I think they need to do a little bit more of an introduction to it. It seems the songs that they give a little background on get a better response.

I wish they wouldn't end the show with Don't Stop...I'd rather something more "unexpected" wrapped things up, like Farmer's Daugher for The Dance or Goodbye Baby last year. It just feels...anti-climactic to end it with something we all knew would be in there anyway.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B
This is very true. This show was recorded with my head between two speakers at the foot of the stage. (Great for a show experience, not so great for a recording!) I think alot of the muddiness that seems to appear during IKINW is not a good representation of how it came across. I encourage everyone to wait out for some more boots before totally dismissing how these songs sound.

As for my opinion of the new ones...it was 1 less than Mick led us to believe (Mick? Misleading us? No! ), but it still shook up the show considerably. I'm probably one of the more vocal fans when it comes to the setlist...I think it's a little embarassing that they stick to the same formula night after night after night. But with just these 5 songs, the changes impacted the whole show. It felt like a stronger set to me for some reason.

If they decide to put DLMDA back in the set (please!), I think they need to do a little bit more of an introduction to it. It seems the songs that they give a little background on get a better response.

I wish they wouldn't end the show with Don't Stop...I'd rather something more "unexpected" wrapped things up, like Farmer's Daugher for The Dance or Goodbye Baby last year. It just feels...anti-climactic to end it with something we all knew would be in there anyway.
they played farmer's daughter on the dance tour????? dang i wish i could've heard it
Old 05-12-2004, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitter_fades
Right you are. We can see Lindsey's paying now for that very thing.
Whaaat!!!? That is the most absurd comment I've read here in a loooooong time. Utter bull****.