User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:26 AM

Default Fleetwood Mac’s Reunion Album ‘The Dance’ Turns 18

Fleetwood Mac’s Reunion Album ‘The Dance’ Turns 18
By Chad Childers August 19, 2015 10:59 AM

Coming off one of the more disappointing eras of the band, the most well-known lineup of Fleetwood Mac put aside past differences to reunite for the concert release, The Dance, which arrived in stores Aug. 19, 1997.

The disc found the vocal trio of Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, and Christine McVie all agreeing to one more run with the group that would be highlighted by an MTV Unplugged special. Wanting to take advantage of the rare opportunity that all of the members were together, they also created a number of new tracks that would intermingle with their classic songs.

By the time they hit Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank, Calif. on May 23, 1997, the veteran outfit was fully up to speed on both old and new material. While tracks like “Bleed to Love Her” and “My Little Demon” were standouts during the sessions, neither got much of a look once the album was released. Instead, fans gravitated toward the newly stripped-down versions of past favorites like “Landslide,” and “Silver Springs,” both of which spent a fair number of weeks on the Adult Contemporary chart. “Landslide” had the better run of the two, cracking the Top 10 at radio.

Speaking of the charts, The Dance was the first new album from the five-piece since 1987′s Tango in the Night a full decade earlier. Just prior to the return of all three singers, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood attempted to continue unsuccessfully with several new additions. But the success of The Dance, which catapulted the group to No. 1 on the chart and knocked off red hot rapper Sean “Puff Daddy” Combs, led the group to reconsider the future and work in one more tour together. The album would go on to become the fifth best-selling live album of all time in the U.S., with over five million copies sold.

As for the MTV special, it was also a rousing success. Fans were able to latch back onto such favorites as “The Chain,” “Dreams,” “Rihannon,” “You Make Lovin’ Fun,” and “Don’t Stop,” and there was an added bonus as the modern-day USC Marching Band followed in the footsteps of their predecessors by playing “Tusk” with the group on the recording. They also stuck around for “Don’t Stop.”

Those who eventually purchased the DVD were able to see a fuller version of the actual performance, which also showed off the skills of the various members. Lindsey Buckingham worked in a banjo for the song “Say You Love Me,” which also featured Christine McVie on tambourine and John McVie on backing vocals. Meanwhile Christine McVie ran through a number of instruments, playing keyboards, piano, accordion, and maracas in addition to her singing.

In keeping with the bit of nostalgia provided with the record, the band offered a few nods to their past work in the cover art for the disc. Photographer David LaChappelle snapped a group photo with Mick Fleetwood recreating his pose from the cover of Rumours and Buckingham holding the cane from the band’s self-titled release.

Read More: Fleetwood Mac's Reunion Album 'The Dance' Turns 18 | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/fleet...ckback=tsmclip

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 08-19-2015 at 10:37 AM..
Old 08-19-2015, 10:32 AM
Registered

Love the album and video!
Old 08-19-2015, 10:44 AM

Oh yeah, in the last 40 minutes they changed the article adding the Silver Springs video! There are few videos left from the dance on youtube, and some even have noise interference on the audio.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:28 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Oh yeah, in the last 40 minutes they changed the article adding the Silver Springs video! There are few videos left from the dance on youtube, and some even have noise interference on the audio.
You can the WB for not letting any more people upload videos or audios from the dance. It's blocked the second you try uploading.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I often wonder how nice Sara would have sounded if they did it on The Dance. They do sound great on the other songs, but the back up singers ruin a lot of the performances, particularly Silver Springs, there is way too many voices singing during the chorus.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:58 PM

This is the average setlist for the tour:

01. The Chain
02. Dreams
03. Everywhere
04. Gold Dust Woman
05. I'm So Afraid
06. Temporary One
07. Bleed To Love Her
08. Gypsy
09. Big Love
10. Go Insane
11. Landslide
12. Say You Love Me
13. Sweet Girl
14. You Make Loving Fun
15. My Little Demon
16. Stand Back
17. Oh Daddy
18. Not That Funny
19. Rhiannon
20. Second Hand News
21. Silver Springs
22. Tusk
23. Go Your Own Way
24. Don't Stop
25. Songbird
26. The Farmer's Daughter

The only Tusk contribution are Not that funny and Tusk, I would have been more content to hear a Christine Tusk songs instead of Not that funny or Sara I have to say.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am surprised this record is not selling as a result of the tour.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't believe it's almost been two decades since "The Dance" concert premiered. I remember it like it was yesterday.

I love this live album/concert for so many reasons, but I think the primary reason is because it got me back into Fleetwood Mac and Stevie's music after "falling away" from my fandom in Middle School and High School. And my fanaticism transformed into obsession for awhile, even more so than when I was a child. Eighteen years later...still a bit obsessed.

I remember when the CD came out and it was on repeat in my car stereo for almost year (until "Enchanted" came out).

To this day, I still prefer this (banjo) version of "Say You Love Me" to the original. Same with the amazingly angry "Gold Dust Woman". And "Bleed To Love Her" kind of became my favorite song for awhile.

I also never had a true appreciation for "Landslide" before this concert came out. It was always just one of those "deep cuts" I never really thought about when listening as a child. Granted, radio airplay and the "tearful hug" after its performance on the broadcast (and DVD) kind of made the song what it is today, but still.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember I loved that DVD so much, I would watch it multiple times in one day. I remember going grocery shopping at 9:00 p.m. once and saying, "If I hurry, I can make it home and watch The Dance again, before I have to go to sleep." I was obsessed.

Michele
Old 08-19-2015, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Keep seeing these milestones They make me feel old.

0 years ago I was on the road seeing Stevie's tour with Don Henley.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 05-24-2017, 02:40 PM

Old 05-24-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I remember I loved that DVD so much, I would watch it multiple times in one day. I remember going grocery shopping at 9:00 p.m. once and saying, "If I hurry, I can make it home and watch The Dance again, before I have to go to sleep." I was obsessed.

Michele
I had been on the Penguin, I think around 1996 or so. We started to get little sound bites of each song... and just like now, I was dying to hear it.

Great concert yes, it was tame in comparison; but, the joy I had from having the 5 them back together... . Oh my!!! Could not stop playing it.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 05-24-2017 at 05:01 PM..
Old 05-24-2017, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

their best live album and fully deserving of No. 1 chart status.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This dvd was the first dvd I (or anyone else in my family) owned. And the only dvd player we had at the time (around January 1999) was on our computer. It wasn't for nearly a year (Christmas 1999) until we had a stand alone player for the TV. At 13 years old, I had just discovered Fleetwood Mac the previous fall through a cassette my dad made 20 years earlier of the original Rumours LP and The Dance on cassette which I bought. Played it a bunch. Great show.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Michele
I took it with me every time I went on holiday to keep me company. I couldn't leave it at home. I would miss it too much!
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.