Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-04-2005, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle2677
did I miss something?? Im genuinely asking..not being sh*tty or anything..
did someone say something about them being lazy???
Yeah. Diss quoted it in his post right above you.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Okay I was not talking about the New Orleans victims. I just meant homeless people in general. I tried to edit my statement because I know that came out wrong. Sorry...

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 09-04-2005, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=dissention]And since when can anyone just waltz into a business and get a job?QUOTE]

Oh PLEASE dissention...let's not start this argument...because we could go ON and ON! lol...

The majority of people out there have had or could have the opportunity to have a job somewhere...last time I checked, Wal-Mart or McDonalds were looking for help, and they aren't that picky either! Hey it may not be much, but it is a job!

Now I'm not going to be heartless and say I don't give to the poor or feel for them...because I do! But I have never given someone begging on the side of the road a single dime of my money! Because, sadly enough I don't trust them enough to know what they will spend it on! I have gotten them food before and brought it back to them and would be glad to do that any day!

I have just personally seen so many scam artists out there on the side of the road begging...and then once they have their money they go back to their BMW parked at a local parking lot and drive off! It's folks like that that really give the actual homeless and poor and bad name!
Old 09-04-2005, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsnake
Okay I was not talking about the New Orleans victims. I just meant homeless people in general. I tried to edit my statement because I know that came out wrong. Sorry...
And I was talking about homeless people in general.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
And I was talking about homeless people in general.
And I don't feel compassion for the guy on the side of the road with a sign that says "Need Beer".

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 09-04-2005, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

there really are different types of homeless people. Please dont' jump me because I'm not claiming to be some expert. I'm from a very small town of 35,000. so we really don't have a lot of homeless ppl, and the ones we do, are very capable of going to shelters, blah blah blah. But I think some people's perception of homeless people is that "lazy, blah blah blah" because most of the people in MY hometown at least ARE very capable of getting jobs. (meaning...there are jobs around...but they may not if they are mental ill and all that) but The type of homeless people we have in Big Henderson Kentucky are the ones' spitting out 7-8 children just to get more money. Now I am not cracking on ppl on welfare by any stretch, BUT, my husband manages the only public pool in my hometown and I've seen it, day in and day out. They come to the pool and sit there enjoying the sun while my ass is out working. NOW...to be on topic.....I realize that New Orleans is COMPLETELY different. It IS a poverty stricken area, and people really are unable to get jobs and they desperately need help. Maybe the only GOOD that will come of this is they will be relocated and will receive help and maybe will have a fresh start and new beginning. But it is easy for ppl from small towns to think they are all lazy etc because those are the kind we have around here..... o.k...I've definately rambled way too much..but that was just my 25 cents....let the firing begin....
Old 09-04-2005, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
And I don't feel compassion for the guy on the side of the road with a sign that says "Need Beer".
It's called empathy.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Mayor of Hattiesburg, Mississippi live on CNN now saying FEMA is blocking trucks with ice and water from coming in to his city.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
Oh PLEASE dissention...let's not start this argument...because we could go ON and ON! lol...

Quote:
The majority of people out there have had or could have the opportunity to have a job somewhere...last time I checked, Wal-Mart or McDonalds were looking for help, and they aren't that picky either! Hey it may not be much, but it is a job!
Bull****.

Quote:
Now I'm not going to be heartless and say I don't give to the poor or feel for them...because I do! But I have never given someone begging on the side of the road a single dime of my money! Because, sadly enough I don't trust them enough to know what they will spend it on! I have gotten them food before and brought it back to them and would be glad to do that any day!
Who cares what they spend it on? Those people who beg on the sides of roads have lost their pride and their dignity, they deserve as much compassion and kindness as people are willing to give. Unfortunately, that isn't much nowadays because a lot of people are selfish pricks who don't care about their fellow men and women. It's a crying shame. Never have I not given money to someone who has been reduced to begging for it on the sides of roads and I never will refuse any to them. I'm not going to deprive them of money that I'm just going to spend on worthless crap because they might go and spend it on a bottle of booze. You'd be drinking too if you were in that situation. If you truly do give them food, that's fantastic.

Quote:
I have just personally seen so many scam artists out there on the side of the road begging...and then once they have their money they go back to their BMW parked at a local parking lot and drive off! It's folks like that that really give the actual homeless and poor and bad name!
I have never seen that in my life.

Old 09-04-2005, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
It's called empathy.
Empathy has gone the way of the dinosaurs, Chris.

Old 09-04-2005, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Low-paying jobs like the one you mentioned aren't enough to survive on. Have you checked the cost of rent lately? Housing is extremely unaffordable, especially in urban areas. Most of their paychecks go to rent, which leaves little money to live on. Additionally, those jobs rarely provide their employees with health insurance.
Quote:
What they spend it on is between them and their conscience. The conservative mantra of "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" doesn't work. I used to buy into that, but if you try do some reading and research, you'll see how flawed the argument is. And by reading, I do not mean Ann Coulter.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

But why should you give your hard earned money to someone that was just as capable of going out and earning a living?

It is one thing if a person is mentally ill. I truely feel sorry for those people.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 09-04-2005, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention

Bull****.
That's it...that's all you have to say...ok?!?

Quote:
Who cares what they spend it on? Those people who beg on the sides of roads have lost their pride and their dignity, they deserve as much compassion and kindness as people are willing to give. Unfortunately, that isn't much nowadays because a lot of people are selfish pricks who don't care about their fellow men and women. It's a crying shame. Never have I not given money to someone who has been reduced to begging for it on the sides of roads and I never will refuse any to them. I'm not going to deprive them of money that I'm just going to spend on worthless crap because they might go and spend it on a bottle of booze. You'd be drinking too if you were in that situation. If you truly do give them food, that's fantastic.
Yes I have given them food...many times...which I am more than happy to do! I think it is down right wrong for them to spend their money on booze when, they could spend it on better things that might actually HELP them!

Quote:
I have never seen that in my life.
Oh boy! Come down here and your eyes will be opened...I have seen it personally twice in my life...but others in my family and friends that I know have seen these kinds of scams happen ALL THE TIME!
Old 09-04-2005, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
These people are dirt poor. How would they have gotten out? Where would they have gone? How would they be able to leave their homes and survive without any money?
I mean these buses could have come and gotten these people out. They could have packed a bag if they had one, gotten their kids and gotten OUT instead of died. They had a couple or more days ( meaning officials, not the "poor" people) and they could have prepared to get these people out. Do they they think they even knew? No, but WE did...it's like they were left there to die almost.

That's what I meant. I know the average person in these lower income housing wouldn't just leave their homes. But if they had been forced to...taken to places before the storm? Was that even possible?
Old 09-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But why should you give your hard earned money to someone that was just as capable of going out and earning a living?

It is one thing if a person is mentally ill. I truely feel sorry for those people.
Amen! I totally agree with you.

And people will try to make you out to be heartless because you feel this way...and that is not true at all!