The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Pink Floyd had immense pigs that flew (and a pyramid that wasn't supposed to but did anyway, if the wind was strong enough);
The Rolling Stones commissioned gargantuan inflatable lips and a gigantic yellow dog;
Fleetwood Mac built a 70-foot penguin that would never properly inflate.

http://www.atu2.com/news/u2s-massive-intimacy.html
Old 09-21-2009, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Landslide of support for Idol Kate

22nd September 2009

KATE Cook might have turned the volume down, but she cranked the sincerity factor up to 11 with a stunning rendition of Fleetwood Mac's Landslide on Sunday night's episode of Australian Idol.

Her heartfelt performance earned her much admiration from the judges, who liked seeing a more introspective side of the Lowood local after a string of up-tempo rock tunes.

It earned rave reviews from guest judge Brian McFadden, who said “it was the most believable performance of the night”.

Fellow judges Ian “Dicko” Dickson said the performance was “simply divine” while Jay Dee Springbett said it was captivating.

Ms Cook will find out if she has made it through to the next round of the competition at the start of next Sunday's show at 7.30pm on Channel Ten.

http://www.qt.com.au/story/2009/09/2...e-idol-lowood/
Old 09-21-2009, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Monday, Sep. 21 2009

Watching a guy with straggly hair hunch over his laptop and press an occasional key or two isn't especially interesting. You can visit any coffee shop in the city for that. But people don't shell out the equivalent of a week's worth of lattes to see Girl Talk perform. They do it because they know he's going to throw one hell of a dance party.

More than 300 artists made their way into Girl Talk's 90-minute set at Showbox SoDo on Friday night. The pop culture junkie is a master at mash-up remixes, as evidenced on his new and fourth album Feed the Animals. Each track contains over a dozen samples in unlikely but seamless sequences that have Trina rapping to Fleetwood Mac's "Gypsy" and Avril Lavigne backed by the bassline from Jay-Z's "Big Pimpin." And what should come off as excessive instead sounds brilliant and surprisingly new to the ears.

Fans flailed their limbs about wildly on the sweaty dance floor. Dozens more climbed onstage to dance and stayed put until the end of the show. A guy in shiny blue spandex wandered around asking strangers if they had ecstasy. Countless drinks were spilled. (Twice on me, unfortunately.)

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/rever...art_thrill.php
Old 09-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac – “Seven Wonders”
By Jess McGuire on September 22, 2009 at 1:37 PM
So it’s been exactly a month since I last had a cigarette or an alcoholic drink. I’ve done it cold turkey, and I feel great (physically) but the not entirely unexpected side effect has been that I’ve become rather short-tempered. Basically, I’ve gone from being a chilled out entertainer to feeling homicidal whenever I am around total morons. The only thing that is calming me down whenever I encounter idiots is Fleetwood Mac’s Greatest Hits. I am not kidding.

I carry a tiny iPod shuffle (with Seven Wonders cued up) in my jacket pocket, and whenever I feel myself wanting to punch someone in the face, I stick my headphones in and soak up Stevie Nicks’ faintly ridiculous vibrato and I feel instantly better. I hope if you’re having a stressful Tuesday, it’ll have the same effect on you.

http://www.defamer.com.au/2009/09/fl...seven-wonders/
Old 09-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Sound:
So you plunk down $249.95 on a pair of ‘In-ear speakers’ was it worth it? You bet! Where the Turbines lacked – the Turbine Pro makes up ten-fold. Where noise isolation was lacking before, its made up with the new and improved advanced Turbine Pro eartips. I have small ear canals and I was able make them fit and snuggle my ear with ease. I wasn’t able to hear a peep around me. The In-ear speakers felt light in my ears now compared to the original Turbines and also I didn’t need to wrap the cord around the top portion of my ear so that they didn’t fall out while walking. They just stayed put without altering the sound of the music that flowed through them.

Flow is what the music did, with the new and improved drivers it only delivered new and improved sound that was rich and clear with a rich deep bass that enhanced the sound delivery of the various different music selections I used to test the earphones with. Be it Yanni ( don’t laugh), Fleetwood Mac, or Black Eyed Peas – each genre exhibited full body, clarity, and detail in each track. You could easily hear the extreme highs with Stevie Nicks’s cymbals as well the low end detail with Mick Fleetwood at the drums.

http://www.chipchick.com/2009/09/mon...er_review.html
Old 09-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From an article about Chuck Berry at the L. A. Exhibition Center in 1968

http://www.ejazznews.com/print.php?sid=10753

I get the band to commit and show up ready to roar for Chucky. First band up, the original edition of Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green, second – the Chambers Brothers. Forty minutes into the Chambers Brothers set I was ready to rip the throbbing cowbell out of the front man’s hand and scream “Time” ….is Up!” It may have been a cool song for a minute or three but a heavy dose of "Time" was more than this vagrant piano man could withstand.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Singing sensation J4 set to release two singles

Published September 22nd, 2009 | 1 Comments

BLUFF CITY — CBS Records is set to officially release the first singles by J4 — the tween foursome from the Tri-Cities — within the next few weeks, a management spokesperson said Tuesday.

The group shot to stardom when they were selected from hundreds of entries to be part of CBS’ “The Early Show” Singing Family Face Off and won the competition in early April. Their prize included a recording contract with the CBS record label.

J4 management spokesperson Tracy Taylor said the two singles — a cover of Fleetwood Mac’s “Don’t Stop” and what has become their signature song “I Think I Love You” — will be available for purchase on iTunes and Amazon.com.

The future of a complete compact disc or download file of work depends on the initial sales of these two singles.

“I think (CBS Records) is going to take a look at how the songs do and then decide if they will go forward with a full project, and that is why we need another grass-roots effort to get these songs off the ground,” Taylor said.

An official release date has not been announced, but Taylor recommends that people visit the group’s Web site, www.j4fans.com, and click on the “Join the Team” icon.

“Once things are set in stone, people who subscribe in that section will get an e-mail letting them know when they can go and purchase the singles,” Taylor said.

The group has also decided to promote education as part of their rise to stardom, thanks in part to a program available to area school teachers and students on the Web site developed by the siblings’ mother, Lori Smith.

Smith, who is home schooling her children, came up with a curriculum based on the year the Fleetwood Mac single the band is covering came out.

“They can learn about who was president, what historic events took place that year, and other fun things that also get everyone involved in the process,” Taylor said. “(Lori) knew that this would be an opportunity to help people, and she chose to develop this program for schools.”

Since their winning performance in the spring, J4 has been at several local events promoting their skills including the Appalachian Fair and Bristol Motor Speedway.

Jessi, 15; Jedidiah, 13; Josiah, 8; and Josephine, 7, are scheduled to perform once again on “The Early Show” on Tuesday, Sept. 29.

The foursome are the children of Lori and Mark Smith of Bluff City. All are active at Bunker Hill Christian Church where Mark is pastor.

http://www.timesnews.net/article.php?id=9017056
Old 09-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Article on George Lamb:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...io-991792.html

"Because I was on 6Music, people expected me to have an endless knowledge of the history of music," he explains. "But that's not my bag. I've got reasonable ears. I probably like Fleetwood Mac and Peter Gabriel too much, but there's a lot of snobbery around music. Fleetwood Mac is genius, Peter Gabriel is a genius, and some Hall and Oates tunes are unbelievable. And there's about 200 million people out there who'd agree with me."
Old 09-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sarah Palin Is In Over Her Head «
By lynnrockets
(sung to the Fleetwood Mac song “Over My Head”). They say Hong Kong is paradise. Before going there, I should have thought twice. I'm over my head. But I like the rice. Nothing to say when I take that mike ...
Lynnrockets' Blast-Off - http://lynnrockets.wordpress.com/

I’M OVER MY HEAD
(sung to the Fleetwood Mac song “Over My Head”)
They say Hong Kong is paradise
Before going there, I should have thought twice
I’m over my head
But I like the rice

Nothing to say when I take that mike
I’m just a clown and yet they just might, think I’m crazy,
It’s such a plight

My thoughts are like a ferris wheel
They’re spinning all the time
Sometimes I can’t help but feel
That I’m losing all of my mind

Over my head Mmmm …

I hope I don’t just grunt and squeal
Perhaps I better mime
Why did I accept this deal
For a measly couple of dimes

They’ll be staring at my backside
I will be losing all of my pride
I’m over my head
And it don’t feel nice

I’m over my head
And it don’t feel nice

I’m over my head
And it don’t feel nice

http://lynnrockets.wordpress.com/200...over-her-head/
Old 09-24-2009, 03:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is completely random, so I reckon this must be the best place for it.

We had a massive dust storm here yesterday, which is naturally getting a lot of media coverage.

The breakfast show on one of the local radio stations was this morning using snippets of Tusk... except with 'Tusk!' replaced with 'Dust!'.

It only earnt a bemused groan from me this morning, but I tell you, it took a surprising amount of self-control for me not to shout 'dust' when it shuffled through on the iPod this afternoon
Old 09-24-2009, 07:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The Bon Bon Club are Reenie (bass, vox), Kim (keyboards, vox) and Claire (drums, vox). Reenie is better known for her previous role as bassist in glitter-rockers The Long Blondes whilst Claire also plays in Slow Down Tallahassee and Angular Recordings post-punkers Navvy.

Their second release is a trio of covers, served on a 3” mini-CD that comes wrapped in a sweetie-bag with a beautiful postcard designed by noted Sheffield comic artist Oliver Allchin.

First the girls cut away the bombast from the Kings of Leon’s “Sex on Fire” and replace the swinging dicks with swinging hips, turning it into a laser guided love missile.
Next up is a versioning of unheralded Dubstar deep-cut “The Day I See You Again” which dons mask and performs lipo on the slightly obese original for full emotional impact.
Finally most of Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours classic “Dreams” is wrestled away from the banshees (and Jim) of The Corrs and magically transformed into a grinding, echoing beast that’s finally lulled into sleep by massed endlessly fractal vocal harmonies. It’s disco edit as live band.

The tracks that make up the “Sex on Fire” single were produced by legendary Sheffield producer Alan Smyth (Pulp, The Arctic Monkeys, Reverend and the Makers, The Long Blondes) at his 2Fly studios in Sheffield.

http://vonpipmusicalexpress.wordpres...s-we-25092009/
Old 09-25-2009, 10:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Some of my friends were particularly anticipating seeing Miike Snow play (they had a song on Gossip Girl recently). When we caught up with the band's singer/songwriter Andrew Wyatt, he told us that he would be playing a Fleetwood Mac cover though in fact he split early and didn't perform at all.

http://www.wmagazine.com/w/blogs/edi...aron-stern.htm
Old 09-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For their tour to promote the “Rumours” album, Fleetwood Mac spent thousands of dollars on a giant inflatable penguin. They only used it once.

In 1997, Mick Fleetwood estimated that he had spent the staggering total of 8 million dollars on the drug of choice: Cocaine.

http://collectingvinylrecords.blogsp...idbits_25.html
Old 09-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A guy, Maxwell Lamb, writing about times with his father and the musical discussions they've had:

http://www.the-peak.ca/article/20010

While waiting for the opener, we talk music shop. He maintains that Fleetwood Mac, in their prime, were the best live act on the planet. I maintain that Dan Deacon trumps the Mac, and he has no clue what I’m talking about. I tell him I actually had fun at an Air Supply show, and he looks completely confused.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The reach of recorded music yields fun juxtapositions. Deep in the ghetto of some American city (Baltimore, perhaps), I saw a resident wearing a Fleetwood Mac shirt. At a recent metal show in Los Angeles, I saw someone wearing a Burzum shirt and flip-flops. That's the logical equivalent of wearing a Jack Johnson (the musician, not the boxer) shirt and combat boots. It does not compute.

http://invisibleoranges.com/