The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-26-2022, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What if Mick had influences at Warner Records and convinced them not to give the song to Stevie? Again he would be the villain. Of course, for that he should have had close friends in the company. Because power arguments (such as offering a new FM album) I don't see as convincing in 1991.
Old 07-27-2022, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
All right, already, I believe you. But don’t you think it’s weird that Stevie pilloried Mick over it? I wouldn’t expect Stevie herself to know the legal ins and outs, but all those sycophants around her surely must have told her that Mick was powerless to give her what she wanted. Did no one tell her in 1991 that she was barking up the wrong tree?
I don’t know.

It’s amusing how Stevie’s a liar about Lindsey’s firing but has impeccable honesty about “Silver Springs.” I think she knew, but this gave her an easy out of Fleetwood Mac.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-27-2022, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I don’t know.

It’s amusing how Stevie’s a liar about Lindsey’s firing but has impeccable honesty about “Silver Springs.” I think she knew, but this gave her an easy out of Fleetwood Mac.
Totally different eras. Stevie was bluntly honest during the klonopin era. That stuff is like truth serum. She opened up about so much. The super ego Stevie happened much later when she started embellishing the truth.
Use some statement analysis. If Mick had no power to release Silver Springs to her, dont you think he would have publicly said so? Especially after all she said about him?

No more questions your honor.
I rest my case
Old 07-27-2022, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was upset when she released TimeSpace. I thought she should of included Nightbird and After the Glitter Fades on it instead of the horrible Desert Angel or Loves a Hard to Play. Those songs were actual Top 40 hits and without them, it really wasn't a Best of album. Whole Lotta Trouble was also not worthy.
Old 07-27-2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I don’t know.

I'm with you on this one. She was not the brightest bulb in any era. He probably explained it to her and she didn't believe him.
Old 07-27-2022, 08:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Use some statement analysis. If Mick had no power to release Silver Springs to her, dont you think he would have publicly said so? Especially after all she said about him?
It's tough to say because he may have thought correcting her in public might have burnt a bridge with her. She might not have ever returned in 97 if he had corrected the record.

But I see your point because in 2012, he did in fact say publicly that Stevie wouldn't agree to do an FM tour in 2012, and even said she'd make more money on an FM tour than on her solo tour, which I thought was rude of him to say.

But she sure speaks with bloodthirst towards Mick in that fourth TimeSpace interview video. Thank you for sharing.
Old 07-27-2022, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I was upset when she released TimeSpace. I thought she should of included Nightbird and After the Glitter Fades on it instead of the horrible Loves a Hard to Play. Those songs were actual Top 40 hits and without them, it really wasn't a Best of album. Whole Lotta Trouble was also not worthy.
She never said it was a Best OF album. She always told the press it was HER favorite songs. And we know that is not even true because she hated Sometimes It's a Beach.
Old 07-28-2022, 12:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I'm with you on this one. She was not the brightest bulb in any era. He probably explained it to her and she didn't believe him.
$he and Mick are both pathological liars. Or just plain stupid.
Old 07-28-2022, 04:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
$he and Mick are both pathological liars. Or just plain stupid.
True but Mick is also a cheap bastard. Look what he did to Bob Welch over peanuts. In Mick's first book he tells a story of him being on the phone with Stevie about something and she confronted him how little he was paying the assistants. He admitted Stevie yelled at him and called him a cheap bastard, hung up the phone, and then doubled their salary.
Mick will screw over anyone for 5 cents.
Old 07-28-2022, 07:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
She never said it was a Best OF album. She always told the press it was HER favorite songs. And we know that is not even true because she hated Sometimes It's a Beach.
And the album cover says Best of. Contrary to boxsets that may include hits, alternate versions, etc.

Old 07-28-2022, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I suppose do you think that Mick is more of a cheapskate than Stevie is a liar or vice versa? I believe Mick was a bigger cheapskate in 1990 than Stevie was a liar back then
Old 07-28-2022, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
True but Mick is also a cheap bastard. Look what he did to Bob Welch over peanuts. In Mick's first book he tells a story of him being on the phone with Stevie about something and she confronted him how little he was paying the assistants. He admitted Stevie yelled at him and called him a cheap bastard, hung up the phone, and then doubled their salary.
You mean this (circa january 1980)? I only found this paragraph, but it's about a letter, not a phone call:
She also wrote that she had started work on her first solo album. "Recording has begun, and Rhiannon is afoot." Then she told me she had moved to a small house by the beach and that I was a cheap bastard, so she was sending the girls in our office an extra $250. Stevie signed the note "Katherine DeLongpre," one of her many pseudonyms of the period.

Couldn't find more details, maybe it was in his second book?
Old 07-28-2022, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
You mean this (circa january 1980)? I only found this paragraph, but it's about a letter, not a phone call:
She also wrote that she had started work on her first solo album. "Recording has begun, and Rhiannon is afoot." Then she told me she had moved to a small house by the beach and that I was a cheap bastard, so she was sending the girls in our office an extra $250. Stevie signed the note "Katherine DeLongpre," one of her many pseudonyms of the period.

Couldn't find more details, maybe it was in his second book?
I'm sorry Whip me with a wet noodle.
I read the book over 30 years ago. It was a letter not a phone call.
Good memory had the cheap bastard part right
Old 07-28-2022, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I’m confused. Was Mick too cheap to let Stevie have an obscure B-Side or was he too cheap to publicly correct her about the fact he couldn’t out of fear of alienating her while she publicly drank prune juice at his expense? Because those things don’t exist simultaneously.

FWIW, he did say that what Stevie was saying to the press wasn’t entirely accurate (maybe when the Zoo did Rockline).

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-28-2022, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
All right, already, I believe you. But donÂ’t you think itÂ’s weird that Stevie pilloried Mick over it? I wouldnÂ’t expect Stevie herself to know the legal ins and outs, but all those sycophants around her surely must have told her that Mick was powerless to give her what she wanted. Did no one tell her in 1991 that she was barking up the wrong tree?
That's the plot hole for me too. Why slam Mick and go as far as saying he messed with her family if there were no possible way of him releasing the recording to her?

No doubt the label has full control over the master recording, but you'd imagine Mick had clout with the label, who, in all likelihood, were good friends with him being in the Warner family for almost 20 years at that point. It just seemed like Mick had his eye on 25 Years and wanted to get the full benefit of "Silver Springs" for that release. Ultimately, I think Mick's book, laying bare the band's secrets, was the impetus for Stevie concocting the Silver Springs/Timespace idea.

I found this interesting article from a law firm on ownership of master recordings. It references Taylor Swift's recent battle to reclaim her master recordings. This part caught my eye: "In 1978, the U.S. Congress passed Section 203 of the U.S. Copyright Act, which allows artists to reclaim the rights to their master recordings after 35 years."

Last edited by SpyNote; 07-28-2022 at 10:15 PM..