User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:18 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
But Peacekeeper and the song SYW both got airplay! So why would they just throw them under the bus, like Bob Welch at the RRHOF?
My assumption for why they don't play SYW material is because all the tours they've gone on since SYW have just been "Greatest Hits" nostalgia shows where they (particularly Stevie, Lindsey is better about this) regurgitate the Dance with a small amount of variation (Think About Me, Sisters of the Moon, Storms, etc.). Say You Will also didn't make too much of a splash with critics or the public in terms of sales back then. They aim to please the crowds in these shows and I guess they assume the broader audience just doesn't want to hear anything from SYW when they could hear Rumours (sans IDWTK) again.

Case in point: The resurrection of Seven Wonders for OWTS. Her comment on it was something along the lines of "Thank god for American Horror Story, because now we can play this song again!" Uh... what? Was someone stopping you from playing Seven Wonders all this time? It's a fine reason to bring the song back, but you didn't play it all this time because it wasn't a mega hit or on Rumours? Just play what you want!

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)

Last edited by Netter75; 07-08-2017 at 12:20 AM..
Old 07-08-2017, 01:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netter75 View Post
My assumption for why they don't play SYW material is because all the tours they've gone on since SYW have just been "Greatest Hits" nostalgia shows where they (particularly Stevie, Lindsey is better about this) regurgitate the Dance with a small amount of variation (Think About Me, Sisters of the Moon, Storms, etc.). Say You Will also didn't make too much of a splash with critics or the public in terms of sales back then. They aim to please the crowds in these shows and I guess they assume the broader audience just doesn't want to hear anything from SYW when they could hear Rumours (sans IDWTK) again.

Case in point: The resurrection of Seven Wonders for OWTS. Her comment on it was something along the lines of "Thank god for American Horror Story, because now we can play this song again!" Uh... what? Was someone stopping you from playing Seven Wonders all this time? It's a fine reason to bring the song back, but you didn't play it all this time because it wasn't a mega hit or on Rumours? Just play what you want!
Well that's just sad. And doesn't say much for them as "artists".

That's why I've been so proud of BuckVie. EIGHT new songs played live is remarkable.

Stevie refusing to record new stuff is indicative of the problem.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

That's why I've been so proud of BuckVie. EIGHT new songs played live is remarkable.

Stevie refusing to record new stuff is indicative of the problem.
They were so confident in their new material that they could tour it and do 80% of it live.

Stevie exhibiting zero confidence in the band is a big no-no. If you have no confidence in the band you're in, perhaps you should just leave.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennonfan View Post
They were so confident in their new material that they could tour it and do 80% of it live.

Stevie exhibiting zero confidence in the band is a big no-no. If you have no confidence in the band you're in, perhaps you should just leave.
Agreed! I'm so in love with this new Fleetwood Mac album! It's fantastic!

It's time for her to Go Her Own Way.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:33 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

Agreed 100%, it's pretty lame. That might actually be why they went with the BuckVie monkier and not Fleetwood Mac: the expectations for the album and tour weren't there and so it allowed them more creativity. I gurantee you that if the album was called a Fleetwood Mac then we would have seen much more than YMLF, GYOW, Little Lies, Tusk, NGBA and Everywhere from the staple setlist. SYLM, Don't Stop, World Turning, Over My Head, and maybe others would've also risen up while more than a few new album tracks would have been cut.

Let's all be thankful they decided to go under their own names for the album and the tour.

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)
Old 07-08-2017, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm so in love with this new Fleetwood Mac album! It's fantastic!

It's time for her to Go Her Own Way.

I hope the next Fleetwood Mac album is titled Better Without Her
for a reason.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
I hope the next Fleetwood Mac album is titled Better Without Her
for a reason.
She's not enjoying it anymore, and she seems to be happier with her solo career, so it's a win-win-win situation (for Stevie, for the rest of the band and for the fans).
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's a good album, but too long and scattered for my tastes. I'd give it a solid 3 1/2 stars out of 5. This is the Say You Will album I burned to CD.

01. What's the World Coming To
02. Say You Will
03. Peacekeeper
04. Thrown Down
05. Miranda
06. Destiny Rules
07. Steal Your Heart Away
08. Everybody Finds Out
09. Bleed to Love Her
10. Not Make Believe
11. Say Goodbye
12. Goodbye Baby
Old 07-09-2017, 03:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I find SYW incredibly difficult to listen to as an album but it has some fantastic moments which sound great in the wider context, like coming on when your music is on shuffle mode. As it stands, SYW is too bloated and overly self indulgent. If they cut some songs each then there's a fantastic album hidden in there.

Lindsey:
Peacekeeper
Miranda
Bleed To Love Her
Steal Your Heart Away
Say Goodbye

Stevie:
Thrown Down
Illume
Destiny Rules
Everybody Finds Out
Running Through The Garden

Put those ten songs together and you have an absolutely fantastic album imo

Old 07-09-2017, 08:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

When SYW came out I had been waiting for MY first new FM album ever after having become a fan during The Dance Tour.

I was of course the first in line to buy the expanded special edition in the cardboard gatefold CD case. I was excited to hear proper official versions of my favorite demos like Running Garden, Smile at You and The Tower (goodbye baby).

What I got was great lyrics, decent vocals, and great mixing, but what I thought was a Soulless album. It was overproduced. Too much noise, no air. No organic instruments, and only what felt like robotic MIDI file instruments. Too many guitar parts, not enough piano or organ. And all the songs sounded the same way. There was not enough variation in the instrumentation and sound field. It was flat. The mastering was also flat and everything was fighting in a wall of sound way. I wanted a Fleetwood Mac album and what I got was Tango In the Night on steroids only with better Stevie presence.

I will still listen to it, but I skip more than half the Buckingham songs, and I actually like the Live Running Through The Garden from Columbus better than the album version. She really knocked that one out of the Park. A shame they only did it once.

I would like to have access to the original tapes and do a "Naked" version of SYW, strip it down to Drums, Bass, Guitar and maybe a few scant extra instruments and backing vocals. Then master it better. I bet it would be a fantastic sounding Fleetood Mac album.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I listened to SYW a TON when it was first released, mostly because I was so starved for new FM music (even with Christine's absence). I think it's a good album, but it lacks warmth and is a bit long. Lindsey's material is stronger than Stevie's overall.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post
I listened to SYW a TON when it was first released, mostly because I was so starved for new FM music (even with Christine's absence). I think it's a good album, but it lacks warmth and is a bit long. Lindsey's material is stronger than Stevie's overall.
I think this new album is his strongest material ever. He really hit one out of the ballpark. So many catchy songs!
Old 07-09-2017, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
She's not enjoying it anymore, and she seems to be happier with her solo career, so it's a win-win-win situation (for Stevie, for the rest of the band and for the fans).
Win-win-win, you are correct.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't dislike SYW as much as it seems like a lot of others do. It's alright for me, definitely not album of the year, but there a couple of songs that I really enjoy and still listen to. I agree with the general consensus that Lindsey overdid his Lindsey-style production on most of it though. It wasn't horribly overproduced imo, but too much sounds and not enough warmth. I think this recent BuckVie album was a big improvement for him in that department, creds to the co-producers and Christine who probably helped in getting him to rein it in a bit.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:25 AM
Senior Ledgie

SYW turned was one of my favorite albums I listened to for ages. As released, though, it definitely seemed like 2 solo albums on shuffle and seemed to suffer a bit from the production.

So, the version of SYW that I listened to was:
Peacekeeper (Tin-Tin Out)
Miranda
Say You Will (Remix Cold Ending)
What's the World Coming To
Running Through the Garden
Thrown Down
Silver Girl
Steal Your Heart Away
Everybody Find Out
Bleed to Love Her
Smile At You
Murrow
Destiny Rules
Say Goodbye
Not Make Believe
Love Minus Zero
Goodbye Baby

I may have been totally off thinking this at the time, but thought that with the DVD audio format still being kind of new at the time, that additional mixing work / timeline pressure to support the format may have been a culprit in how this album sounded.