User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default LB and CM album on the UK and US charts

The numbers are in!

So the album has debuted officially at #5 on the UK albums chart which is fantastic! I have to say that showing is slightly unexpected. The sales are also extremely strong on 19,147.

In the US though things are looking less rosy. According to reliable sources the album will debut at #22 on the Billboard 200 on sales of 20,443. This now includes streaming sales which account for just 454 of the sales. If the Billboard 200 still worked the way it used to without streaming, the album would be at #6 with sales of 19,989. In my opinion the Billboard 200 does not truly reflect what people are actually buying and so I think it is unfair. Anyway.

So particularly good in the UK, not so great in the US. Turns out very nearly just as many people in the UK bought the album as in the US.

And there you have it for week 1!
Old 06-18-2017, 12:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

22 in the U.S. and people were calling 24KG a flop

Old 06-18-2017, 01:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Oh seriously, give it a bloody bone! What are you hoping to achieve with that BS comment.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcrazylove View Post
Oh seriously, give it a bloody bone! What are you hoping to achieve with that BS comment.
It is no more BS than calling a U.S. top ten album of rerecorded vault songs a flop which has been stated numerous times by more than on person on this forum .Glad it is doing well in the U.K. and Europe .I actually like most of the album.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As if the U.S. charts are decisive...
Christine and Lindsey have a strong worldwide fanbase.

Buckingham McVie charting this week:
Australian Albums: 21
Belgian Albums: 13
Dutch Albums: 14
German Albums: 27
Irish Albums: 9
New Zealand Albums: 22
Norwegian Albums : 31
Scottish Albums: 2
Swedish Albums: 28
UK Albums: 5

You may want to compare that to 24KGs chart success, which you can find here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24_Kar...from_the_Vault

Last edited by AncientQueen; 06-18-2017 at 02:15 AM..
Old 06-18-2017, 02:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks James.

Bloody streaming.

Anyone in the US know why it hasn't picked up much there?
Old 06-18-2017, 03:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViscountViktor View Post

Anyone in the US know why it hasn't picked up much there?

3 Clues...

1. 67 - 73.
2. What's in a name?
3. Goatless.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine did a fair old media blitz in the UK; BBC Radio 2, Later with Jools Holland, BBC Breakfast, The One Show. Apart from Fallon, did they do much TV in the US? Yes, they did lots of magazine/newspaper interviews but so few people actually read these days. Its all about TV/Internet. If the UK was all about Christine, Lindsey hasn't really pulled his weight in the US. That said, I'm sure he's been focusing his time prepping for the live shows- both BM and Mac- I imagine much of the responsibility for all that falls on him.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 06-18-2017, 08:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
3 Clues...

1. 67 - 73.
2. What's in a name?
3. Goatless.
I just about spit up my morning TAB on #3. Thanks for making a better start to my day!

#1 is probably the biggest thing. The record buying public is young, and while they do have a segment there, the lion's share of their fanbase is probably 40+.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
As if the U.S. charts are decisive...
Christine and Lindsey have a strong worldwide fanbase.

Buckingham McVie charting this week:
Australian Albums: 21
Belgian Albums: 13
Dutch Albums: 14
German Albums: 27
Irish Albums: 9
New Zealand Albums: 22
Norwegian Albums : 31
Scottish Albums: 2
Swedish Albums: 28
UK Albums: 5

You may want to compare that to 24KGs chart success, which you can find here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24_Kar...from_the_Vault
Two comments-

1) A lot of musicians DO base their success on how the album or singles do in the US. They see that as a strong barometer of their success.

2) While I'm sure the artist is happy their album does well in other countries, as a fan, I really only care how they do in America. If they go to #1 in the UK, that's great, but I really want the artist to sell well here in the US.

Having said that, I think it's great the album hit #22 here in America. It did about what I expected and is nothing to sneeze at. Radio has changed so much since 1990 that I'm always surprised when artists like Fleetwood Mac or Stevie Nicks hit the top 10, let alone top 20. Unfortunately, since radio isn't playing any of the singles from the album, it has already hit it's peak, but at least we got some tv performances and lots of interviews and reviews out of it.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Two comments-

1) A lot of musicians DO base their success on how the album or singles do in the US. They see that as a strong barometer of their success.

2) While I'm sure the artist is happy their album does well in other countries, as a fan, I really only care how they do in America. If they go to #1 in the UK, that's great, but I really want the artist to sell well here in the US.
1) Part of the band is still british.
2) As a fan, it is irrelevant. You speak as an USAmerican fan here. As an european fan, I have another point of view, but together, we represent alot of the english speaking album buying part of the world .
Old 06-18-2017, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You're a Stevie fan who pretends to like the album a little so you can drop bombs once in a while. It's pretty obvious. That being said you are entitled to say whatever you want, doesn't bother me.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
You're a Stevie fan who pretends to like the album a little so you can drop bombs once in a while. It's pretty obvious. That being said you are entitled to say whatever you want, doesn't bother me.
I'd still call 24KG a flop even if tomorrow the album peaks to #1. It's about quality. I never saw effort on 24KG. Not even love.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
I'd still call 24KG a flop even if tomorrow the album peaks to #1. It's about quality. I never saw effort on 24KG. Not even love.
In practical terms, if an album went to #1, it would be considered a hit. It has nothing to do with our personal opinion of the quality of the album. I mean, plenty of 'hit' albums get bad reviews, just like plenty of 'hit' movies get bad reviews. Likewise, albums that get rave reviews might peak at #50 on Billboard. I guess it's just my opinion that a flop generally didn't meet sales expectations.

As for 24 Karat Gold, I myself hated the album, but I wouldn't say "I never saw effort on it. Not even love." If I remember correctly, and I can't double check because I sold my copy to a record store, Stevie dedicated the album to her mother's memory, who had recently died. I think Stevie said she rerecorded some of those particular demos because they were some of her mother's favorites, or something like that. So love was certainly there, even if you didn't feel it yourself.

Having said all that, even though 24 Karat Gold debuted in the top 10, it ultimately didn't sell much, so it could easily be considered a flop.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
It's more predictable than timing an egg. lol