Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey gets some major kitty kat Lovin' here

October 5, 2009 To Try For The Sun
Lindsey Buckingham

Label: Warner Bros.
Released: 2006

They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. So, what happens when you’re so unique and distinctive you can’t be imitated? Where do you get some love? Lindsey Buckingham rarely makes those “best guitarists” lists, and while most of them are ridiculous anyway, it’s his constant omission that proves that point. Under The Skin was Lindsey’s first solo album in 14 years, and its sound and general feeling seemed almost a reaction to everything we’d been through with him for the past 30 years. Only this time, there was no studio wizardry, no marching bands, no lo-fi experiments. The stars of the album were Lindsey and his guitar. You know, that guitar everyone seems to forget about. See, the thing is, even when covering a 40 year old Donovan single like “To Try For The Sun”, Lindsey can take anything and make it his. Make it unique. Make it beautiful. So, stick that in yer list and file it.

—Lee Lodyga

15 Responses to “To Try For The Sun”
Justin Says:

October 5th, 2009 at 10:28 am
Great song, I wasn’t aware that Lindsey had covered Donovan, and a great cover at that. Thanks DFD!!!
Rael Says:

October 5th, 2009 at 10:31 am
CertainLEE one of the all time great axemen (and rock composers). Lindsey is one of my all-time favorite guitarists, and this track (along with many others from his fantastic catalog of solo albums) should be proof positive for any naysayers. If you’ve ever seen him play, you’ll immediately understand why Lindsey is so unique; he uses a downpicking style that allows him to get so many wonderful notes from his instrument. For those of you who like this one, check out the entire album — “Not Too Late” is absolutely incredible and, as LEE points out, he can cover a tune (like this one, and the Jagger/Richards’ penned “I Am Waiting”) like nobody’s business. Great great pick today! Next time, “Johnny Stew”?
stinky Says:

October 5th, 2009 at 10:35 am
This is an interesting take on Donovan’s song and I like it! Buckingham ventures into Andy Pratt (”Avenging Annie”) territory with some of those high notes of his but, nevertheless, it works and it’s a keeper.

There’s another good version done on The Leaves’ second (and final) LP called “All The Good That’s Happening” (Capitol, 1967). That one’s worth checking out, too.

Good job, Mr. Lodyga! 100 points!
Lou B Says:

October 5th, 2009 at 10:37 am
Wowzer! Is that good or what? Never gave Lindsey a thought as I haven’t cared much for Fleetwood Mac since Peter Green left. Guess I’ll have to look into Lindsey as a solo artist and will dig out my Donovan LPs.
Robbie Says:

October 5th, 2009 at 10:37 am
An excellent guitarist, to be sure. And a nice cover tune. Speaking of covers though, as much as one isn’t supposed to judge by them, I don’t get why the people who put albums together spend so much time & energy getting the music just so, then package it with such bland, off-putting cover art & such a pedestrian title. That dour photo doesn’t exactly yell “Hey! Come on in! We’re gonna have a ball!” It’s more like pi$$ off, I didn’t make this for you…
Still, damn fine music…
Grudgemeyer Says:

October 5th, 2009 at 10:46 am
A big fan of Lyndsay. Amazing talent and he remains vital after all of his journey to this point. Bravo!
Ron J. Says:

October 5th, 2009 at 10:55 am
The “Buckingham Nicks” album released way back there in 1973 was so overlooked, by almost everyone. But not Mick Fleetwood. He saw do$$ar signs after hearing it and a dream unfolds. Rock on Mr Buckingham…Also one of my favorite guitarists.
armchaircritic Says:

October 5th, 2009 at 11:18 am
I have never been able to understand why so few of those best guitarist lists did not include Lindsey Buckingham. I would like to see some of his solo stuff on Guitar Hero for christsake! This guy is an amazing talent….his voice can drive you crazy sometimes but he more than compensates with the guitar! This is a beauty of a song. The solo song by Lindsey that I believe best shows his guitar chops is the song “Shut us Down”. After you hear that one….your best guitar list will HAVE to change!
kelly Says:

October 5th, 2009 at 11:20 am
wow - this one is awesome! don’t remember hearing any of his solo work before, but will certainly seek it out now. thanks!
TimH Says:

October 5th, 2009 at 12:15 pm
Great song; GREAT ALBUM!!! Under the Skin…..
Bob A. Says:

October 5th, 2009 at 1:21 pm
If you want to hear a great album, check out his third solo album, “Out of the Cradle”.
darlene Says:

October 5th, 2009 at 1:27 pm
Nice pick! I hadn’t picked up this album, but will sure check it out now!
janielaurel Says:

October 5th, 2009 at 1:55 pm
love this. You don’t hear downpicking very often. I use to do it all the time (far too many years ago to admit to) and people used to think I was crazy. You know, the “whateryadoinitthatwayfor” question…. thanks for sharing this track. Buckingham is so talented, and it has always been a puzzle as to why he is ignored by the listmakers of the world.
steve b Says:

October 5th, 2009 at 2:23 pm
AWESOME,
Bill Stroller Says:

October 5th, 2009 at 6:01 pm
…….and STILL we DFD people in the UK cannot listen to all these great tracks which are sent to us each day……because LaLa will not let us subscribe…..
…Come on DFD…..it’s been a DAMN LONG TIME without you…..

…get your fingers out guys….we NEED to listen to this type of MUSIC….

http://www.damnfineday.com/?p=7921
Old 10-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

thanks for posting
Old 10-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

yes thx indeed Viv!!!
Old 10-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I loved when Lindsey tried to speak as Donovan with an accent and theorized that Donovan probably wasn't too happy with the cover.

Ah, Gretchen, what a signature pic you have. I am still very much in love with the guys.

Michele
Old 10-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Heart

Thanks Michele...there is so much power in that pic...
Old 10-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't get the kitty-kat lovin' reference?

P.S. Gretchen, count me amongst those also enjoying the sig picture. I hope they make the third movie.