The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey Buckingham: Getting Fleetwood Mac Back Together for One Last Tour

By Andy Threlfall September 10, 2009

Photobucket

The tangled web that's the story of Fleetwood Mac is easily one of rock and roll's, well, quirkiest. A once-quintessentially English blues band came to be the sound of California dreaming in the mid-70s when, seemingly washed up and on the verge of permanent disbandment, drummer Mick Fleetwood asked L.A. husband and wife singer-songwriting team Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks to join the group in one last desperate throw of the musical dice. The rest was multi-platinum history; Rumours still boasts a place in the top-ten best selling albums ever. But while the songs have endured, the addictions, the divorces, the petty band politic chipped away at their legacy for 30 years.

Here, a reflective Lindsey Buckingham tries to find new meaning in those lost days of summer, and how being lucky enough to survive them has allowed Fleetwood Mac to get on stage one more time for their 2009 World Tour.

So: how’d this reunion come about?

In 2001, I wrote some material with the intention of putting out a solo album that actually ended up being the last Fleetwood Mac album [2002’s Say You Will]. My album got shelved, and a lot of my songs ended up being used on the Fleetwood Mac album. But I still had a few unfinished songs, so on my last solo album (Gift Of Screws), I was lucky enough to get Mick Fleetwood and John McVie to play on a few of the tracks. That was the start of a new discussion about taking Fleetwood Mac back out on the road in 2009.

Had you tried to dutifully maintain daily contact with the other members of Fleetwood Mac over the last few years?

I wouldn’t say daily. Part of what has allowed Fleetwood Mac to prevail over a long period of time is that we don’t actually maintain daily contact [laughs]. We don’t really keep in close contact per se. I think the very thing that keeps the chemistry so alive in the band and the music so good is because we take each other in small doses. Music is a very potent thing. So: I don’t speak to the others that often, but I had been speaking to them a lot because we were initially planning to do a lot of stuff together. Possibly an album, but definitely a world tour in 2009.

Surely modern methods of communication meant that you were never far from each other’s thoughts?

Of course from time to time I would email Stevie or Mick especially pictures from the kids’ summer holidays. We’re always interested in how our families are growing up. It’s good to just reconnect as human beings. Christine (McVie) wasn’t involved in any shape or form, as she pretty much took permanent leave of the performing world. I don’t want to say that she burned her bridges, [but[ she certainly closed her book on her contact with all of us over here on the west coast, including selling her house in Los Angeles. She moved back to England and lives somewhere out in the country, I believe. From what I hear, she’s completely changed her life, and to be honest, she never really enjoyed touring anyway. I think she feels like she had said what she wanted to say within the confines of Fleetwood Mac, whereas the other four of us feel that our artistic lives are still evolving.

Is is a coincidence that it’s usually Fleetwood putting the band back together?

Yes. Mick has a habit of ringing me just when I’m about to put an album out, don’t you think? [laughs] But the politics of Fleetwood Mac have always been a very convoluted thing. On some level, our sensibilities are so vastly different, you could probably even make a case that we should never have actually ended up being in the same band (even though it was that precise synergy that made it work). The politics have got increasingly difficult over the last ten years though. The mantra we need to remember is: we are making our own strides to just be adults, and grow up a little. I think we were all in various forms of arrested development, particularly back in the 70s and 80s, when there was a huge amount of (drugs) in the band.

How intense did the partying get?

I don’t recall one particular dark moment, I think there was just a particular time when I saw a lot of my friends doing what they thought they had to do, particularly in relation to alcohol and drugs. I needed to experience a really solitary existence for a while, and concentrate on my music. The time right before meeting my wife was potentially the time that I would now look back as the darkest, and then I met this woman, and suddenly: I turned a corner. Hopefully, I experienced some good karma there, or something. Fleetwood Mac really did exist within its own little bubble.

Can you recall the scene in it’s most vivid incarnation?

I feel fortunate that we were getting away with all that kind of behavior in an age when there were no such things as camera phones to record the excesses which would then be immediately propelled onto YouTube the next day. I definitely think after Rumours, the success detached itself from the music and it was more about people buying into our personal lives, and that involved bringing out the voyeur in everybody. Had that been today, I think we would have had a much more difficult time coping with the blurred possibilities of drug taking.

How has all that changed this time around?

The only challenge I have now regarding a world tour is that I have three kids, and I don’t want to come home after nine months on the road, and find that my boy’s voice has broken or changed. I want to be there for all of those things now. .

You seem content.

I think the main reason we still wanted to go back on the road as Fleetwood Mac is because we still needed to put some kind of closure to the music we made. It really has been so lovely reconnecting with John and Mick in particular, as we’ve known each other a long time, and we’ve all been through things that are too long and too weird to discuss. We have a very special bond, and it’s like getting together with your family again.

Finally Lindsey, can I ask you where, in your many years on the road have you enjoyed visiting the most?

The heritage of the band is, of course, British. So I have immense and deep fondness for the UK. I was recently reminded that when Stevie Nicks and I were asked to join the band, we were also asked—in some sense—to become honorary Brits. I don’t mean this in any derogatory way, but I firmly believe that Christine McVie’s very British blues sensibilities kept us from sounding like just another version of The Eagles.
When I joined, they would take me to the public houses of SoHo, and show me places like the 100 Club on Oxford Street where my heroes The Rolling Stones and The Sex Pistols played. Then back again to the famous Soho pubs like the Coach And Horses on Greek Street where I was ‘converted’ by a time-honoured tradition of drinking many, many pints of Guinness in the name of the British Empire! When I visit these places again today, the memories are overwhelming. I love that everyone calls it Tin Pan Alley. Even Bill Clinton’s favourite pub—The Portobello Star—brings it all back, especially as seems like only yesterday when we played at his inauguration. I find touring in Europe so rewarding.

http://www.blackbookmag.com/article/...ast-tour/10650

Last edited by vivfox; 09-10-2009 at 10:48 PM..
Old 09-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Boy, I sure don't like the tone of this article. It's like the band is over and done with, never to exist again after 2009. But then again, I guess I can't take it too seriously with the number of factual mistakes. I do find it interesting that Lindsey has finally admitted the politics and difficulty of the band the past 10 years are the worst in it's history. And here they've been telling us since the Dance how everyone's different and all grown up. We knew better!!! I sure do hope the kids figure out a way to put out at least ONE more GOOD album. It just seems such a shame to waste all the potential when all the kids are at their artistic peaks.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I cracked up when Lindsey said he didn't want to say that Christine burned her bridges, which is what he definitely wants to say every single chance he gets.

Lovely comment about Christine's musical sensibilities keeping them from sounding like the Eagles. That's why I'm so crazy about you Lindsey. Although, you probably just said it because you're heading to Europe. But I love the acknowledgment anyway.

Also, I don't know how this interview was edited, but if it was recorded the way it is written, the guy brought up modern communication and Lindsey just throws Christine into the conversation apropos to nothing. What's up with that?? Hey guy, you love the dame as much as I do. Please go over and work with her. Unbreak my heart.

Of course, I eat it up when he says he emails the other band members pics of his kids and he doesn't want to go on tour long enough to miss Will's voice changing.

I laughed at the part about Youtube. I bet he sees people recording during the concert and knows that the videos are on youtube that same night.

Michele
Old 09-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I cracked up when Lindsey said he didn't want to say that Christine burned her bridges, which is what he definitely wants to say every single chance he gets.
Yeah, I wonder what's up with that? After all, he left the band his self at a way less than opportune time for personal reasons. I guess he's been talking the past 10 years about going back and making the wrongs right, and fixing things... and he can't really do that without Chris being there. Maybe it was his mission to bring things full circle and record more great albums with the band now that everyone was more grown up(ish) and sane(ish). Or perhaps he's bitter with her, because she was the mediator, and these past dozen years with the Mac haven't turned out to be as productive as he'd hoped? I know he's always talked about the magic that happened when he and Chris played... how they were so very different, but had such a common musical sensibility. Maybe he really misses that? He definitely seems to strongly resent her leaving.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I really hope he doesn't mean this literally, like he never wants to work with her again.

Lovely comment about Christine's musical sensibilities keeping them from sounding like the Eagles. That's why I'm so crazy about you Lindsey. Although, you probably just said it because you're heading to Europe. But I love the acknowledgment anyway.

Also, I don't know how this interview was edited, but if it was recorded the way it is written, the guy brought up modern communication and Lindsey just throws Christine into the conversation apropos to nothing. What's up with that?? Hey guy, you love the dame as much as I do. Please go over and work with her. Unbreak my heart.

Ditto

Of course, I eat it up when he says he emails the other band members pics of his kids and he doesn't want to go on tour long enough to miss Will's voice changing.

I laughed at the part about Youtube. I bet he sees people recording during the concert and knows that the videos are on youtube that same night.

Michele
Uh...erm...I know he's seen me! Oh well.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Uh...erm...I know he's seen me! Oh well.
I don't think he minds at all. That's why he sometimes plays directly into the camera! Anyway, we're certainly grateful to you here.

I'm sure he doesn't mean he doesn't want to work with Christine again. I don't think he means anything except that she left and she is happy in retirement. I know he doesn't mean she couldn't come back if she wanted, because he would definitely be outvoted on that. Although as they kicked off SYW he did say he doesn't know what they would say if she changed her mind at the last minute and wanted to return. But if you get him to elaborate, he just says what he said above. That she pulled up stakes and is happy in retirement. Why he likes to say "burned her bridges" is kind of . . . I don't really think he means anything about it, except to be mischievous. I mean, I get the feeling he gets pleasure out of constantly saying something that would provoke the other band members into exclaiming, "What are you talking about!"

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 09-10-2009 at 11:46 PM..
Old 09-11-2009, 02:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So...I'm making an appearance on The Ledge tonight--something I have not done for like a week. Sorry guys...I'm a working girl now, ha.

I hadn't really read this article before and although I do agree that the tone sounds like FM is kind of done after this tour, I don't think we can really take that to heart. FM is so unpredictable. How many times has Stevie said she wasn't going back out on the road with them? They just need each other to exist, ha.

But regardless of what happens, it will be okay guys. Some of you have had FM around your whole life, and then some of us, like me, have only been able to have them since 1985, when I was born, ha. However...they aren't dead. I'd love a new album and new tour just as much as anybody else, but if it doesn't happen, lets all just celebrate what they've done thus far. They always surprise us anyway. Something amazing is in store, I'm sure.

Love to all! I miss The Ledge...work is taking over my life. And now I'm getting sick. Dang it.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Finally Lindsey, can I ask you where, in your many years on the road have you enjoyed visiting the most?

The heritage of the band is, of course, British. So I have immense and deep fondness for the UK. I was recently reminded that when Stevie Nicks and I were asked to join the band, we were also asked—in some sense—to become honorary Brits. I don’t mean this in any derogatory way, but I firmly believe that Christine McVie’s very British blues sensibilities kept us from sounding like just another version of The Eagles.
When I joined, they would take me to the public houses of SoHo, and show me places like the 100 Club on Oxford Street where my heroes The Rolling Stones and The Sex Pistols played. Then back again to the famous Soho pubs like the Coach And Horses on Greek Street where I was ‘converted’ by a time-honoured tradition of drinking many, many pints of Guinness in the name of the British Empire! When I visit these places again today, the memories are overwhelming. I love that everyone calls it Tin Pan Alley. Even Bill Clinton’s favourite pub—The Portobello Star—brings it all back, especially as seems like only yesterday when we played at his inauguration. I find touring in Europe so rewarding.
This bit slays me because I'm from London, I love hearing him mention all these names, like the 100 Club and Greek Street etc. Very weird but cool too.
I also love how much credit he gives to Christine, it's pretty nice to read. There's absolutely no doubt that he respects her as a musician despite the whole "burning bridges" thing. And he totally does mean it in a derogatory way when he mentions The Eagles I think it's great he realises it was the combination of influences that helped them become more than another formulaic country rock band.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:29 AM
Senior Ledgie

Anyone catch where the article says that they asked "Husband and wife singer and songwriter team Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks to join".... obviously wrong.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:04 AM
Senior Ledgie

Well its great to hear Lindsey talking so warmly about the UK and how much he loves it - so why doesn't he perform in the UK more often? He has never been solo and the number of times FWM have been to the UK is fairly limited.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is part of that same interview that wasn't in the first article. I would say that on Stevie and Christine's songs, Lindsey does meld his guitar into them, in a way that you might not even notice at first glance. That's not always true of his own songs though -- but it doesn't need to be true, either.

B 102.7 Sioux Falls Classic Radio

http://www.b1027.com/index.php?optio...7285&Itemid=74

Buckingham -- who instrumentally speaking -- is the focal point of the band's shows, was asked if he'd ever been jealous of his late '70s colleagues Peter Frampton and Neal Schon, who came to symbolize the guitar heroes of the era, while his own groundbreaking work was buried under the drama of the Fleetwood Mac myth: "To some degree, the way the average person judges guitar is sort of guitar for its own sake. And I guess, I've always tried to make guitar in service of the song, and maybe that makes it a little less obvious to the average listener. Part of what I judge success as being, in terms of good record making is when the guitar work -- or any instrumentation kind of melds to the song and becomes not something that you're aware of, just becomes part and parcel with the whole."

Fleetwood Mac kick off the European leg of their Unleashed tour on October 8th in Copenhagen, Denmark.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

Michele
If Christine doesn't want to come back to FMac, It would be great if she and Lindsey did a project together!
Old 09-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
When I joined, they would take me to the public houses of SoHo, and show me places like the 100 Club on Oxford Street where my heroes The Rolling Stones and The Sex Pistols played. [/url]
I've heard/read that "Go Your Own Way" was Lindsey's attempt at a Rollings-Stones-style song. Is there any Lindsey track or tracks that make one think: Sex Pistols?

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I've heard/read that "Go Your Own Way" was Lindsey's attempt at a Rollings-Stones-style song. Is there any Lindsey track or tracks that make one think: Sex Pistols?
I think "Teen Beat" that was on 25 Years: The Chain was his attempt at the Sex Pistols.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
If Christine doesn't want to come back to FMac, It would be great if she and Lindsey did a project together!
Agreed. If only I could put this in words he would understand.

Lindsey, this collaboration would mean to me what John and Paul working together again would mean to you.

One more time baby, just one more time.

Michele