Old 09-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Mason Talks Michael Jackson & Music

http://www.newstimes.com/entertainment/ci_13395598

Rock Hall of Famer Dave Mason in Ridgefield Thursday
ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAMER IN RIDGEFIELD THURSDAY

By Sean Spillane, The New Times
STAFF WRITER, Updated: 09/22/2009 06:36:54 PM EDT

In his four decades in the music business, Dave Mason has recorded on some of rock 'n' roll's most treasured songs and albums with some of the genre's biggest names.

He played acoustic guitar on Jimi Hendrix's version of "All Along the Watchtower"; performed on The Rolling Stones' 1968 record "Beggar's Banquet"; and also took part in the sessions for George Harrison's acclaimed "All Things Must Pass" project in 1970.

That doesn't even take into account his work as a founding member of the band Traffic -- where he contributed the classic song "Feelin' Alright" -- or his solo career or his brief stint in the '90s with Fleetwood Mac, which was without Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks at that point.

But one of his many collaborations stands out in light of recent events: Mason's 1980 song, "Save Me," which featured a pre-"Thriller" Michael Jackson adding background vocals.

"Basically, he was just recording in the other studio and I needed somebody to sing some high parts on a song and I went over to the studio and asked him, 'When you get a break, would you come over and sing something on this track?,' " Mason recalled in a recent phone interview. "He said, 'Yeah, absolutely, I'll come do it.' "

It turns out that Jackson remembered performing one of Mason's songs on a television special when he was still a child.

"He said that when he was like 8 or 9 years old, he did a special with Diana Ross and the two of them sang 'Feelin' Alright,'

" Mason said, "so he said, 'I'd love to come over.' "

Mason, a 2004 inductee into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for his work with Traffic, has had a few peaks and valleys in his solo career, with a high being his 1977 hit, "We Just Disagree," which reached No. 12 on the Billboard magazine singles chart.

At 63, he remains a popular figure on the concert circuit, leading The Dave Mason Band on about 100 shows each year. He seems to do particularly well in Connecticut and has a gig scheduled for Thursday night at the Ridgefield Playhouse.

Mason fans can expect to hear a few new songs from Mason, who released his latest album, "26 Letters -- 12 Notes," last October. Unfortunately for Mason, 63, concerts seem to be the only way to get his new music out to the public.

"Trying to get it heard is (nearly) impossible," he said. "Radio is just a disaster for artists like me and radio is still (the best way). Everybody's still got one in their car.

"And unless you're specifically looking for Dave Mason, the Internet's not really the thing, either. Satellite radio plays it, but satellite radio is such a small fraction of the U.S. population.

"Radio is really the only thing. The only other thing really is the Leno shows, the Letterman shows, but they don't seem to be interested, either."

In addition to his music, the Worcester, England, native also is passionate about helping veterans of the armed forces as they return from conflict. He has been working with a Connecticut-based charity, Work Vessels for Veterans, in helping returning vets get started on their post-war lives.

"The gentleman that started it" -- John Niekrash -- "has been a good friend of mine for a number of years and decided to take his lobster boat -- because he was getting a new one -- and gave it as a donation to a vet. And it's gone from there and now, it's been like three or four boats, plus trucks, vans, computers.

"We basically try to give returning vets the tools that they need to either get into business, complete their education or, in the case of one recent vet who came back to his wife and three children with a lot of post-traumatic stress, we donated a car to the family so they can get around."

Mason supports many charities that assist veterans, stressing that "it's a completely nonpolitical issue. I just don't think there's enough you can do for people like that.

"I think that the government grossly undervalues the people that put on the uniform and put their lives on the line.

"Anybody that puts on a uniform and puts their life on the line and comes back somewhat disabled or incapacitated should be taken care of for the rest of their life, as far as I'm concerned."

Dave Mason performs Thursday night at 8 at the Ridgefield Playhouse, 80 E. Ridge, Ridgefield. Alex Drizos opens the show. $50. 203-438-5795, www.ridgefieldplayhouse.com.

Last edited by michelej1; 09-23-2009 at 07:48 PM..