Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

mug cake

ten

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 09-27-2010, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lobster(first time I've ever cooked one), creamed spinach, and corn on the cob. Delicious!

Krogers has had small lobsters, for a couple of months now, for $5. How is this possible? Did they over-harvest, when the oil spill happened, before it got there? Anyone know? I thought all seafood was supposed to go through the roof, after the oil spill....?

Think I'm gonna buy 5 or 6 more, and stick em in the freezer!
Old 09-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Lobster(first time I've ever cooked one), creamed spinach, and corn on the cob. Delicious!

Krogers has had small lobsters, for a couple of months now, for $5. How is this possible? Did they over-harvest, when the oil spill happened, before it got there? Anyone know? I thought all seafood was supposed to go through the roof, after the oil spill....?

Think I'm gonna buy 5 or 6 more, and stick em in the freezer!
Thinking about the effect on wildlife because of the oil spill makes me so sad/mad. I think people had a tendency to merely focus on the financial/human consequence of it, really. But that's just one Vegatarian Hippie's opinion lol.

A baked Potato with mixed leaf Salad and Cucumber. Yay for real food :P Don't often allow myself it hehe.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Nothing yet...

don't have much money for food, so I will probably eat either a couple of burritos or just drink alot of liquid.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 09-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Registered

Thinkin' about picking up some grilled pork chops w/apple-sage cornbread dressing & fresh chantrelle-cider pan sauce at Acadia tonight.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I had another wrap tonight! I'm kind of saving up to have some burgers this weekend from the new burger place on campus!!!
Old 09-30-2010, 10:53 PM
Registered

I made Spanakopita for my mother, and stuffed cabbage for my dad. He had some of the spani, too. I ate one piece of the spani and drank more than half a bottle of Bolthouse Farms 'Perfectly Protein Vanilla Chai Tea', which is tasty but high in calories (640 calories for 32 ounces) but I prefered drinking that to eating much. It will be gone momentarily.
Might have one piece of the stuffed cabbage tomorrow. I don't feel like eating much, but chances are I'll want a Starbucks Vanilla Frappucino tomorrow, the big 13.9 ounce bottle, again loaded with calories. Tasty beverages are more appealing to me right now than food is.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 09-30-2010 at 10:58 PM..
Old 10-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'm busy working in my art studio at University until late tonight, so I see a cold tin of Baked Beans in my future lol. Don't have much money to hand because I bought a gorgeous Milkshake yesterday (Parma Violet flavour *drool*).
Old 10-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Registered

Crock Pot beef stroganoff. Comfort food at its finest. I heart my Crock Pot.

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 10-04-2010, 11:49 PM
Registered

^Yum. Sounds good, it's been forever since I have had any stroganoff, I even liked the Hamburger Helper version of it, long ago.
"Comfort food"-- I like that term, and have always wondered about it, I guess it's anything that makes you feel good. The list could be endless, I bet mac and cheese is on it.
Yet, it does seem that there should be a "Stress food" list, and I've never heard of the term. If there's comfort food, there's gotta be stress food, or it's just not an even playing field.
Stress foods?-- Lima beans; anything that gets stuck in between your teeth (why I won't bother with ribs), flour-free cake, sugar free cake, anything too hot from the microwave that burns the roof of your mouth. Which food stresses people out most, I wonder.
Egg Salad
I bet.
And the best comfort food?

Last edited by Nikolaj; 10-04-2010 at 11:58 PM..
Old 10-05-2010, 12:37 AM
Registered

^^^^

Haha. I don't know about stress food, but I do love me some comfort food. I think it's definitely anything that makes you feel better or cozy or like "home." Probably everyone has different things on their list, but there do seem to be some universals in American homes, like mac and cheese, or anything with gravy. I've noticed that most things people refer to as comfort foods aren't exactly healthy, either.

The majority of the time, though, when I need some comfort food, I head for the stuff I grew up eating. I spent much of my childhood in a town predominantly inhabited by Eastern European folks - mainly Hungarian, Polish, and Slovak.

My family is Hungarian, so I am fond of the Magyar staples my mother and grandmother made, like haluski (basically noodles with cabbage), beigli (a rolled pastry, traditionally filled with walnuts or a poppyseed mixture - I like the poppyseed best) and kaposztasalata (coleslaw, but instead of mayo, you use oil and vinegar). My mom loved spicy food back then, too, so she always planted tons of Hungarian wax peppers in her garden - I like those straight, like you'd eat an apple or something. They look similar to banana peppers, but have more bite.

I also love Slovak foods like pagach (basically a mashed potato pizza) and halupki (stuffed cabbage - the Polish call these "galumbki"), and the heavenly Polish sausage sammich or a giant pot of pierogi.

Om nom nom.

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 10-05-2010, 12:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

STOP making me hungry, biotches!!!
My comfort foods, are "winter" foods. Mostly stuff that my Mom made, when she was still here(and/but I'm a pretty damned good cook, myself). Here's my short list:
Meat loaf!(god, I love me some f*cking meatloaf, on a cold winter Sunday!)
Curried chicken casserole
Gumbo
Lasagna
My own 5 alarm chili....so sweet and hot, it's the best! Sweat, rolling down your face....mmmmmm....

BUT, I've lost 45 lbs in the past year, and eat mostly vegetables now.....so I'm relegating myself to these things, maybe every OTHER Sunday, during the winter. Made the best meatloaf ever, a couple of weeks ago.....gumbo's next, on my list!
Old 12-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Haha, I'm shooting for teenager skinny! You're not the first person to say that, either!

I didn't mention, that the 45 lbs in the past year, wasn't "all" of it. Three years ago, I was up to 215. Not obese, but very chubby. I lost 30, and maintained that. Last fall though, I had sort of a life changing epiphany, and decided that I was going to make some personal changes. Permanent changes. So yeah, from three years ago, 80 lbs lighter!
Ok well here's one of the posts where you said you were 215, but you said three years ago. I guess one year ago you were 180? And you thought that was too big?
Old 12-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

As I'm holding myself back so I'll enjoy my Christmas Nut Roast tomorrow, I had a bowl of Cereal for my Dinner with Soya Milk and a Pear.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My first Veggie Bolognese

The recipe for petep9000:

To serve 4
  • Approx 100g Dried Soya Mince
  • 1 jar of bolognese sauce (because I'm lazy and poor so Aldi's it was)
  • 2 small carrots
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 1 small red pepper
  • marjoram, orgeano & paprika

Soak the mince in boiling water until it's done. Drain.

(Whilst the mince is soaking)
Dice the carrots and pepper finely before putting into a saucepan (off the heat)

Crush the garlic before dicing and add to the same saucepan.

Add the mince and the sauce to the saucepan and put it on a very low heat. Sprinkle in the tiniest amount of paprika and marjoram before adding as much oregano as you like.

Simmer for 25-30 mins.

Boil up as much pasta as required (I use a lot because I lavvv it).

When the pasta is cooked, serve it up with the bolognese stirred through.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr

Last edited by ButterCookie; 12-31-2010 at 12:32 PM..
Old 12-31-2010, 12:44 PM
petep9000
This message has been deleted by petep9000.