Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Burritos, Bar-B-Que potatoe chips (1 serving) and the always present tea (I must have British ancestory in my family tree - everyone drinks tea but not coffee).

Since I change my diet I dropped from 260+ lbs in March to 228 this day.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 09-22-2010, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post
Burritos, Bar-B-Que potatoe chips (1 serving) and the always present tea (I must have British ancestory in my family tree - everyone drinks tea but not coffee).

Since I change my diet I dropped from 260+ lbs in March to 228 this day.
My grandparents were English and got me drinking tea when I was very young. I haven't been able to tolerate coffee since.

For dinner I had a few handfuls of Trader Joe's kettle corn. Not very exciting but I don't have much of an appetite lately.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
I have been crazy about Special K vanilla almond for months. Can't get off it, it seems. BTW, I will also eat cereal for dinner from time to time.
Jerry Seinfeld would be proud!
Old 09-23-2010, 12:10 AM
Registered

2 Blueberry Poptarts and a Xanax. 4 ounces of milk, followed by half a bottle of the red 'Zero Water'. Hate the Xanax aftertaste, and no, I don't chew it! It's still one bitter pill to swallow!
Old 09-23-2010, 12:21 AM
Registered

By the way, have any of you ever heard the following?
WAIT to drink your beverage until after you have finished eating. I got this tip in the 80s from a prime-time tv actress, whose niece I was best friends with, for a decade. It seems that one's saliva contains a natural calorie-burning enzyme released as you chew, and that is ruined if you drink at the same time as you're eating .
The actress had an unbelievable body, so I just went along with it and don't even think about it much, and it seems to work.
I've forever tried to talk my overweight Dad into eating his meals in this way, he won't listen and thinks it's all bullsh*t about the saliva. Anyone ever hear this?
If curious, the actress was Lisa Hartman of 'Knots Landing' and she had the most amazingly perfect tummy and she showed it off a lot in those days.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 09-23-2010 at 12:31 AM..
Old 09-23-2010, 01:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
By the way, have any of you ever heard the following?
WAIT to drink your beverage until after you have finished eating. I got this tip in the 80s from a prime-time tv actress, whose niece I was best friends with, for a decade. It seems that one's saliva contains a natural calorie-burning enzyme released as you chew, and that is ruined if you drink at the same time as you're eating .
The actress had an unbelievable body, so I just went along with it and don't even think about it much, and it seems to work.
I've forever tried to talk my overweight Dad into eating his meals in this way, he won't listen and thinks it's all bullsh*t about the saliva. Anyone ever hear this?
If curious, the actress was Lisa Hartman of 'Knots Landing' and she had the most amazingly perfect tummy and she showed it off a lot in those days.
this sounds like one of those bull**** lose-weight-without-trying tips. i can't think of one evolutionary reason humans (whose bodies are built to conserve energy and store it as fat) would have a built in mechanism to burn calories at the beginning of the digestive process. i'm sure LH had a great body, but i'm sure she also starved herself and had a personal trainer. celebs toss these so-called "tips" to the masses so they can deflect from the reality that they work out obsessively, don't eat, and have surgery to suck out their unwanted fat. please don't perpetuate it! if you want to lose weight, EXERCISE AND EAT WELL!

ahem.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
if you want to lose weight, EXERCISE AND EAT WELL!

ahem.
What if you're lazy and really, really like candy???

And is this Lisa Hartman Black we're talking about?
Old 09-23-2010, 01:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
What if you're lazy and really, really like candy???

And is this Lisa Hartman Black we're talking about?
yes, i think it's LHB.

i guess if you're lazy and you really, really like candy you better get one of stevie's magical power plates
Old 09-23-2010, 01:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
you better get one of stevie's magical power plates
What is this dark magic you speak of?
Old 09-23-2010, 02:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.people.com/people/article...269012,00.html

god bless 'er.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^ Um... when she gained 30 pounds? I repeat, 30 pounds.
That article started off with magic and turned into a lie.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
^^ Um... when she gained 30 pounds? I repeat, 30 pounds.
That article started off with magic and turned into a lie.

i do believe she only gained 30 during the time period she was talking about.

if we're talking about street angel, though ...
Old 09-23-2010, 02:25 AM
Registered

Yes, it was Lisa Hartman Black, just Lisa Hartman back then, before she married Clint Black.
I see Carrie's point, I don't wanna be b*tchslapped, LOL, but I just do believe it about the saliva.
It makes sense to me that drinking while eating would 'wash away' the work that your natual saliva naturally does, all natural, heh-heh like.
Lisa never gave this tip to a tabloid or in a tv interview. She told her niece and I at lunch, and her niece pointed out to me that Lisa had never had an ounce extra on her frame, since her pre-fame days. She was on 'Knots' by the time I met her. I am sure she worked out a lot, as well, by then.
I really believe it: You chew, and your saliva helps process the food, and any beverages allow the saliva not to do the job. I haven't had to diet in 20+ years, and had some chubby-pre-teen years that on occasion would revisit til my early 20s .
And I still love me my junkfood. It's just cookies without milk, now

Last edited by Nikolaj; 09-23-2010 at 11:41 AM..
Old 09-23-2010, 02:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
Yes, it was Lisa Hartman Black, before she married Clint Black.
I see Carrie's point, I don't wanna be b*tchslapped, LOL, but I just do believe it about the saliva.
It makes sense to me that drinking while eating would 'wash away' the work that your natual saliva naturally does, naturally heh-heh.
Lisa never gave this tip to a tabloid or in a tv interview. She told her niece and I at lunch, and her niece pointed out to me that Lisa had never had an ounce extra on her frame, per pre-fame days. I am sure she worked out a lot, as well, after she had fame, however.
I really believe it: You chew, and your saliva helps process the food, and any beverages allow the saliva not to do the job. I haven't had to diet in 20+ years, and had some chubby-pre-teen years that on occasion would revisit til my early 20s .
And I still love me my junkfood. It's just cookies without milk, now
but you would be washing the saliva into your stomach, right? where the food is being digested? i just don't buy it. plus processing food is not the same thing as burning calories. i don't get it. so you can eat your cookies without milk, and i'll have a salad ... and some water.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:08 AM
Registered

^^
Don't get me wrong, Carrie, I know a salad and a water is way more sensible and healthy than cookies!
I think much also has to do with how many pounds a person needs to lose, which, if it's more than 20 pounds, the sensible, healthy, slow, steady way is the smart way to go.
Lisa's niece and I would sometimes have maybe 10 pounds each back then to lose, and we were barely beyond being kids, so it was easy-ish. That is, til I was 40 and decided I wanted to lose the weight that stayed off 15 years then came back along with another 1o pounds added. So, I lied- or forgot I guess- About 6 years ago, I had to lose 20 pounds. And it was hard. Lots of cardio and tons of hours on the exercise bike, no sweets, little bread, little dairy. It's mostly stayed off, except for 5 pounds I'm losing now.
My DAD who I referenced, has had more than 100 pounds to lose for a long time, which is why I think him beginning by waiting to drink his beverage til after he eats is a good way to start. It could trick his metabolism. Or, it may not. He's handicapped, so can't exercise at all. And for me, I think finishing eating before drinking anything has helped keep the weight off, but I may be wrong, and except for 6 years ago, I never had a lot to have to take off.
It's all an interesting subject to me, and I can tell when someone sounds that they know what they're talking about, as Carrie does. Then again, I thought so about Lisa Hartman, too!
The older I get, the more I KNOW that I know NOTHING!!!!

Last edited by Nikolaj; 09-23-2010 at 11:45 AM..