The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:26 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Best Place To Sit at a Mac show?

Hi,

Sorry for being so long winded but my situation is complex and I'm stressing and some explanation seems required, all things considered, I put my actual questions in a reply so you could just skip to those. Any thoughts, opinions, advice are appreciated though, so long as they are kind.

My issues are somewhat unique and I know no one can really answer part of my question but I figured I'd give it a shoot asking the experts so to speak and other big fans... I've been to one FM show. Last year in Detroit at the Joe Louis Arena. I'm stressing because obviously in addition to ticket prices being higher the venues are also larger. In Detroit it will be Palace of Auburn Hills. I've been there once a decade ago for a Sarah McLachlan show and understandably that was a world of difference from FM. Think I had maybe 15th row floor seats and no one stood at the stage or anything. We had the drunk idiot type in front of us where one woman literally asked "So what songs does she sing?" So eh the floor seats seemed overrated but then looking around it was hard to say things were much better elsewhere since you're even further from the stage.

Further complicating matters is that I'm disabled. And not a stable sort of disability but disabled enough that I bought my tickets to last years show the day of while people in my life encouraged me to not even go because I was throwing up the same morning. Needless to say trying to plan things 6.5 months in advance is next to impossible and probably a big reason for my stress level. I have a wheelchair. I'm not paralyzed just have a lot of muscle weakness and fatigue (and a progressive illness so gosh who knows even where I will be physically in 6 months though there's always hope that maybe ill be a bit better...). So technically I can stand. And adrenaline goes a long way even though it comes with a high price. What's frustrating about handicap seating is that it totally varies by venue and you have to call and its not even listed on the seating charts I find. I would pretty much assume even at the top price range I'd be much further away. I'm spoiled by how amazing the seats were that we got last year. The bizarre thing was that the top price range got a center view but was way back up in the balcony. We accidentally wheeled in over in that spot. We paid mid range and had seats up over on the right really close to the stage and Lindsey. Really awesome view. It was the far side so for example I never did manage a good photo of Johnand as a big Stevie fan we were far away from her most of the show. Ideally I want to do at least as well if not better with seats this year though honestly they may not be possible.

I don't think I need to explain the appeal of the floor. Or how much it means to a hardcore lifelong fan. Honestly too as hard as my life is the last truly good day I've even had was last years show. Pretty much the best day of my life. And so I want to relive that. I don't have enough good in my life and I am so passionate about Fleetwood Mac. Now the worst part is that my life in general is often a battle between my head and all the things I want to do and how limited the body I'm trapped in is. I do know the venue has a thing where they wheel people from the door to their seats since obviously if I went floor seats I'd not be able to bring my own wheelchair. That eliminates the stress of how the heck I could walk through the huge venue. I was toying with the idea of trying to get the closest seat possible and how much in my head I would give anything in the world to stand right there at the stage. I might just be crazy enough to try. But even in my most elevated delusional idea of what I might be capable of I know I can't stand for 3 hours. And I don't think anyone else wants to see me falling or fainting. I suppose I likely could push back through people and go sit. If I could manage even the first hour at the stage gosh that would be just incredible. It's one of those bucket list life goal things for me. I only want to do it once and I can live with accessible seating for any other shows I go to. And I wouldn't even consider this for any other band.

But I don't know. I will probably have to go alone since the friend who went last year with me is moving and set his personal ticket price limit at $100. My mom expressed some interest in even joining me in the floor insanity but she doesn't want me spending that much on her though I could...

With that said I don't know where the venues handicap seating is. I need to call. I realize that's probably where I belong and a nurse of mine (who is a big FM fan and knows me basically as Stevie girl) said go handicap because I'll be way more comfortable and have a better view. Problem is I know enough to know that the better view isn't a guarantee. Ill probably even at highest price range be much further away. On a balcony most likely or some kind of platform behind the floor seating since ADA requirements involve an unobstructed view. As I said the highest price handicap seats at Joe Louis last year actually were kind of awful. Literally the furthest you could be from the stage in the entire venue. The Joe is an older venue that has some major accessibility issues though and from googling the Palace of auburn hills where this years show is at got sued last year for non compliance with ADA and have made improvements. Silly foolish me should have called already and inquired about all of this but I've had a rough week and never got around to it. I want to see what's available at 10am tomorrow. But you can't buy accessible seats that way and while the box office opens an hour beforehand I have no idea if they will be able to answer my questions about the show since tickets won't technically be on sale. Don't know for sure how well they can even explain the view. I spoke to them about another large area venue they own for a show I ended up not attending last summer and that venues accessible seating was disappointing.

I guess alternately I could sit anywhere in the arena but then might as well do accessible seats. I know at last years show people were standing all over. Accessible seating would beat most other seating since you're guaranteed not to have a tall or standing person in front of you. Most of us- including those in wheelchairs- stood for parts of the show last year. I was not as sick then as I am now but I stood maybe half of the show but of course took frequent breaks to sit and even take pain meds. But I had so much adrenaline that gosh I probably could've managed the floor with my friend. I don't know. Hard to know. And in my head gosh I want to be right there in front of Stevie but my body may not be so cooperative.

I could stand for part and then go sit, that's the closest my body can probably do to achieving my dream. Of course the question goes then is it worth it? I could even buy the close up seats and wait until closer to the show to decide since I doubt it would be hard to sell a really good seat, right? That's sort of what I'm thinking...

Last edited by TimeCastASpell; 04-07-2014 at 02:42 AM.. Reason: Trying to shorten things.. Sorry!
Old 04-07-2014, 02:32 AM
Senior Ledgie

I'm trying to edit the above post down. My apologies. I wasn't kidding about how much I'm stressing over this and I shouldn't be. Skim it at best or just jump to my questions which I'm including here-

So my questions are... What's it like on the floor? How closely packed together are people at the stage? I should add both that I'm only 4'11" tall and that I have to carry a backpack with IV nutrition in it. I could be jostled to an extent and the IV tubing is under my shirt so not a huge deal but obviously if things get too packed or rough it's going to be hard for me should I need to access my backpack or because I'm pretty injury prone with unstable joints (though if be decked out in braces under my Stevie regalia And I realize most of you are already thinking I absolutely shouldn't do the floor but I mean I live with this stuff so it's my norm and I've been in all sorts of situations with my medical equipment (you'd never know it was there beyond thinking I was a girl with a backpack) obviously it's by no means a mosh pit either but I only saw people from up above. How closely packed are those up near the stage?

If you were me (and again the disabilities would be your norm. This is your big dream and a day you get to really feel alive. Perhaps I should mention that I'm only 24 and that my diseases will probably kill me sooner rather than later. I say that not for pity but to try and explain why I would even consider this. My dream would ultimately be to meet the band but closest I can come right now would be being right there at the stage) would you take the risk for one show to try and be up close? Again, there's nothing I want more in the world.

More logically speaking I recall a discussion of stage heights last year. Can anyone recall what the average stage height seemed to be? I'm 4'11" so even if I am right up against the stage it won't be too comfortable to have to lean my head way back, eh? And heels are not an option. Might I actually be slightly better off several rows back so I don't have for it my head so much?

Is the floor worth it even from an able bodied perspective? Why or why not?

I haven't seen FM in a huge arena before but assume many of you have. What are your own expectations for such a show? Where would your IDEAL place to sit be?

If I end up with side seats is it safe to assume that it will be Lindsey to the right (or on his left), Stevie center, Christine on the left?

Is it worthwhile to try and hit multiple shows in a tour since I know set list doesn't really change and last tour they were pretty scripted even. I've only seen that one show so far so...?

How much effort would you go to in order to get your ideal seat?

Any other thoughts or things you think I should know? And please don't judge me or anything. Like I said my whole life is a battle between what I would like to do and what I'm physically capable of and that's a really hard way to live and it's never been harder than my conflicting feelings about where to sit at the concert. Seems like a very unique and special experience to be so close to the stage.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeCastASpell View Post
If I end up with side seats is it safe to assume that it will be Lindsey to the right (or on his left), Stevie center, Christine on the left?
Yes, it's always safe to assume that. Until the day they die.

I don't pay much attention though, because Lindsey will come over and bend down into the audience at least twice on the left side. I never think you have to stand on Stevie or Lindsey's side of the stage to see them.

With Christine, it's different because she will be largely locked behind the piano except for 2 songs, so if you want to look at her all night, you should be on that side.

Michele
Old 04-07-2014, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Good Luck with your search for a great seat. I noticed some of the ticketmaster shows are letting you pick your seat now from what is left. The Sunrise show for instance shows the disabled seating on the map. There are some in the front rows of the second section on the floor and other various places in the arena. You might want to call your venue directly for better advise.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeCastASpell View Post
I'm trying to edit the above post down. My apologies. I wasn't kidding about how much I'm stressing over this and I shouldn't be. Skim it at best or just jump to my questions which I'm including here-

So my questions are... What's it like on the floor?I had front row seats for the last tour, right in front of Lindsey (stage right or left??? Which is the way you judge, from the stage or the audience????). It was pretty packed with people, and I'm 5'9"and the stage came to my chin. How closely packed together are people at the stage?Quite packed. But only the first 3 rows were allowed to stand and move to the front, not all the floor. I should add both that I'm only 4'11" tall and that I have to carry a backpack with IV nutrition in it. I could be jostled to an extent and the IV tubing is under my shirt so not a huge deal but obviously if things get too packed or rough it's going to be hard for me should I need to access my backpack or because I'm pretty injury prone with unstable joints (though if be decked out in braces under my Stevie regalia And I realize most of you are already thinking I absolutely shouldn't do the floor but I mean I live with this stuff so it's my norm and I've been in all sorts of situations with my medical equipment (you'd never know it was there beyond thinking I was a girl with a backpack) obviously it's by no means a mosh pit either but I only saw people from up above. How closely packed are those up near the stage?

If you were me (and again the disabilities would be your norm. This is your big dream and a day you get to really feel alive. Perhaps I should mention that I'm only 24 and that my diseases will probably kill me sooner rather than later. I say that not for pity but to try and explain why I would even consider this. My dream would ultimately be to meet the band but closest I can come right now would be being right there at the stage) would you take the risk for one show to try and be up close? Again, there's nothing I want more in the world. If i was you, I'd give it a try. I'd recommend being in front of Lindsey because he interacts with the crowd. Stevie I love, but she's blind as a bat and can't see to interact very well. That's been my experience with her.

More logically speaking I recall a discussion of stage heights last year. Can anyone recall what the average stage height seemed to be? As above, I'm 5'9"and it came to my chin. I'm 4'11" so even if I am right up against the stage it won't be too comfortable to have to lean my head way back, eh? And heels are not an option. Might I actually be slightly better off several rows back so I don't have for it my head so much? You could always get a seat on the side, in the first few rows and closest to the stage, that's where we are this time. This way it's very comfortable to sit and watch and yet be close. I did get tired of always looking up when we were at the front. The other thing that I really noticed about being at the front is that the music is nowhere near as good as when you are back a bit. It sounded like it was jumbled and only pieces. You definitely lose out on the sound quality.

Is the floor worth it even from an able bodied perspective? Why or why not? Unless I had front row seats again, I would pick the side and closest to the stage.

I haven't seen FM in a huge arena before but assume many of you have. What are your own expectations for such a show? Where would your IDEAL place to sit be?

If I end up with side seats is it safe to assume that it will be Lindsey to the right (or on his left), Stevie center, Christine on the left? Absolutely, they never change the set up. This time we have seats on Christine's side.

Is it worthwhile to try and hit multiple shows in a tour since I know set list doesn't really change and last tour they were pretty scripted even. I've only seen that one show so far so...? If I had the time, I'd follow them across all 34 shows.

How much effort would you go to in order to get your ideal seat? Well, my ex-husband emailed me the notice of the AMEX buying date and bought my present husband and myself and son tickets. So that means he will be coming with us to the ticket gate and helping us get in.....that strikes me as a fair bit of effort to get good seats.

Any other thoughts or things you think I should know? And please don't judge me or anything. Like I said my whole life is a battle between what I would like to do and what I'm physically capable of and that's a really hard way to live and it's never been harder than my conflicting feelings about where to sit at the concert. Seems like a very unique and special experience to be so close to the stage.
[IA The front is busy and crowded, but the fans are respectful and not crazy teenagers usually. I've also sat directly opposite the stage at the back, as well on the sides higher up. The sides low down are comfortable with better sound, so as long as you go in knowing what it will be like, I think you know you best. Do what you want and feel you can do, and then enjoy yourself. Hopes this helps. [/I]
Old 04-07-2014, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Concert seating opinion

So during the presale, I bought section 122, row 19 for the United Center, which is decent, but I figured I could always buy something else better if it came along. On Ticketmaster today, I bought floor 3, row 16. Now I'm trying to decide which really is better.

The plus about 122 is it's angled, and the negative about the floor is it isn't, so if I have tall people in front of me, I might not be able to see as well. The floor is closer to the stage though, plus if security is lax, I might be able to move up.

Anyone have any opinion about which one would be best? I have a picture with x's showing where the seats are.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1609782_10203644251765815_4211695182203287938_n.jpg (47.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 04-07-2014, 08:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Montclare:

Given that everyone likes to stand on the floor, I might say the balcony seats. Just my opinion. If you want to rush the stage, you need the floor. I am always on the floor and the people who move up always get kicked out in the cities I am in. I have seen it happen in LA, San Diego, PHX and Midwest shows.

Last edited by FM77; 04-07-2014 at 09:52 PM..
Old 04-07-2014, 08:30 PM
Ledgie

If you have a good angle in the balcony, you will probably have a better view of the show than row 16 on the floor. I was in the 12th row for Anaheim last year (second seat in) and had tall people in front of me--couldn't see over them. I was able to move up a little bit but still had tall people in the way. After that, the only time I sit in floor seats is if I'm in the first few rows or on the aisle so you can see. (I did luck out for that show; a very kind security guard saw me struggling to see and moved me up to the front--right in front of Stevie.)
Old 04-07-2014, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montclare View Post
So during the presale, I bought section 122, row 19 for the United Center, which is decent, but I figured I could always buy something else better if it came along. On Ticketmaster today, I bought floor 3, row 16. Now I'm trying to decide which really is better.

The plus about 122 is it's angled, and the negative about the floor is it isn't, so if I have tall people in front of me, I might not be able to see as well. The floor is closer to the stage though, plus if security is lax, I might be able to move up.

Anyone have any opinion about which one would be best? I have a picture with x's showing where the seats are.

Thanks!
Wow, you got better seats than I did. I got Sec. 105, Row 3 which is in the back. I bet you were buying singles though.

I had floor seats last year and knew that I would have to invest in some comfortable sandals if I was going to be able to see anything. This year, I won't have to worry about that since where I'm sitting will be elevated a little bit. So it's a trade off I guess. I would have loved to have gotten Sec. 122 though.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I would love to be on the floor.With all the BS with these crappy choices we are dealing with today.I settled for first level stage left facing the stage.

It will give my back and feet a break in the meantime and better for some good pix and video.

If this was a Stevie concert I'll be on the floor up front.I probably by now thrown my computer out the window if I was having these BS problems with these tickets everybody is having today for good seats.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 04-07-2014, 09:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, I was just buying one ticket. I keep going back and forth between knowing I don't have to worry about tall people in front of me, and then the other side of my brain kicks in going "who gives up a floor seat?". Good thing I have a few months to decide! Just wanted to see everyone else's floor experience.

I was happy with 122, just decided to see if anything better was out there. I was surprised when section 3 popped up, since everything after the first day of the presale was either far back, up in the rafters, or on Christine's side (I wanted Lindsey's). I'm actually surprised that Christine's section didn't sell out first, since you figure she's the draw this time.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montclare View Post
Yeah, I was just buying one ticket. I keep going back and forth between knowing I don't have to worry about tall people in front of me, and then the other side of my brain kicks in going "who gives up a floor seat?". Good thing I have a few months to decide! Just wanted to see everyone else's floor experience.

I was happy with 122, just decided to see if anything better was out there. I was surprised when section 3 popped up, since everything after the first day of the presale was either far back, up in the rafters, or on Christine's side (I wanted Lindsey's). I'm actually surprised that Christine's section didn't sell out first, since you figure she's the draw this time.
When I was looking for singles, just for the hell of it today, I did pull up Sec. 5 Row 8. Was a bit surprised to see those as well.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:18 PM
Ledgie

If tickets weren't so expensive, you could keep both and take turns sitting (or standing) in each location. I can understand the desire to be on the floor--it's where I usually sit, too--but such a drag if you're behind tall people and can't see or get decent photos. Good luck with your decision!
Old 04-07-2014, 11:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsnFan4Ever View Post
If tickets weren't so expensive, you could keep both and take turns sitting (or standing) in each location.
I was actually almost considering doing that, but then I looked at my bank account.

Thanks for the opinions so far!