Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey Announces 6LP Anthology Via Video

First 200 orders from Rhino.com include signed 12x12 photo.

https://twitter.com/LBuckingham/stat...66782173224960
https://store.rhino.com/music/exclus...ned-12x12.html
Old 11-07-2018, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
it's fascinating to watch him do this kind of promo/almost infomercial kind of thing because it's not intuitively who he is or what he's comfortable with. It was a bit odd and slightly awkward to watch him in this video. He's not the most natural. (as opposed to Stevie who just goes out and sells sells sells to you like she's your best friend). Mind you, I think it's an important part of marketing, but he's just never been able to bring himself to do this kind of thing before.... he's always been about 'the music will either sell itself or it won't'. I have to wonder if he'd been more willing to do more of this "shameless self-promotion" (which is how I think he would have seen it in the past, and maybe still does ) if some of his earlier solo work would have gotten a bit more traction with a wider audience
Old 11-07-2018, 08:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
it's fascinating to watch him do this kind of promo/almost infomercial kind of thing because it's not intuitively who he is or what he's comfortable with. It was a bit odd and slightly awkward to watch him in this video. He's not the most natural. (as opposed to Stevie who just goes out and sells sells sells to you like she's your best friend). Mind you, I think it's an important part of marketing, but he's just never been able to bring himself to do this kind of thing before.... he's always been about 'the music will either sell itself or it won't'. I have to wonder if he'd been more willing to do more of this "shameless self-promotion" (which is how I think he would have seen it in the past, and maybe still does ) if some of his earlier solo work would have gotten a bit more traction with a wider audience
lol he's adorable how awkward he is in these... "it's a picture of... me?"

bunch of tweets from him after this too, asnwering some pretty interesting questions.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-07-2018, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey Buckingham
‏Verified account
@LBuckingham

Lindsey Buckingham Retweeted brubs
The use of the bridge from You Do Or You Don’t in Bleed To Love Her was an exercise in being self referential, and in a way was designed to elicit the question you ask. When writing Bleed To Love Her, it occurred to me that bridge would work, and I thought, “why not”?

He is a funny one.....

"an exercise in being self-referential" -- such a LB way of saying I got stuck and copied from myself
Old 11-07-2018, 09:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

Lindsey Buckingham
‏Verified account
@LBuckingham

Lindsey Buckingham Retweeted brubs
The use of the bridge from You Do Or You Don’t in Bleed To Love Her was an exercise in being self referential, and in a way was designed to elicit the question you ask. When writing Bleed To Love Her, it occurred to me that bridge would work, and I thought, “why not”?

He is a funny one.....

"an exercise in being self-referential" -- such a LB way of saying I got stuck and copied from myself
lol! And he is also saying that "in a way" he did it so that people would wonder why he did it??

I'll only buy this if there is a special reason for him to be self-referential in that particular song, and while I and other fans could indeed speculate and come up with a few, it's telling that he actually doesn't give one...

Last edited by sodascouts; 11-07-2018 at 09:51 PM..
Old 11-07-2018, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
lol! And he is also saying that "in a way" he did it so that people would wonder why he did it??
yes, that gave another chuckle!
Old 11-08-2018, 12:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Lindsey Buckingham Does Not Look Comfortable Doing Self Promotion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUpGu69dd50
Old 11-08-2018, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
Lindsey Buckingham Does Not Look Comfortable Doing Self Promotion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUpGu69dd50
oh dear.....not sure how I feel being on same page as this guy...

But yeah, it's true.

It's clearly shot in his home studio (talking about LB). Wonder who's doing the camera. Kristen? One of his kids?? Label? I'd kind of hope if it was the label they'd do it in a slightly more polished fashion.

If his team is listening, my suggestion for what it's worth after having watched him in action for over 40 years is that he would do better in a two person scenario, with someone else in a sort of 'interviewer' role, but more like an informal conversation than a formal interview style, so that that person could say all the glowing things like "this amazing new album" and then leave the music points to him i.e. "This anthology is amazing for old and new fans alike! There are so many great songs on here. What was your process for selecting the songs to include?" Then Lindsey gets to say his Lindsey stuff about the music, and how great it was to go back and review his work as a whole and see the progression yada yada yada. And the other person can hold up the included photo and say, "And you are actually going to personally sign a copy of this photo in every set?" etc.

Don't make him be a pitchman, it's just not him and as a result he's not that good at it. Sure, he could be with practice but....really? Help a guy out. Give him a foil to play off of. Just my tuppence.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 11-08-2018 at 01:44 PM..
Old 11-08-2018, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I actually thought he did a really good job of this!
Amusingly self-conscious, full of his sense of humor, and fairly intimate--in his own relaxed setting with just him talking. Much better than a telemarketer-style fake interview.

Hmm--maybe I should be posting this on my "Unpopular Lindsey opinions" thread.

Oops--shameless self-promotion by me.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
I actually thought he did a really good job of this!
Amusingly self-conscious, full of his sense of humor, and fairly intimate--in his own relaxed setting with just him talking. Much better than a telemarketer-style fake interview.

Hmm--maybe I should be posting this on my "Unpopular Lindsey opinions" thread.

Oops--shameless self-promotion by me.
yes to all of this, i thought exact same thing. it's so him. self-conscious and half-self-deprecating laughing at himself for doing this.

but yeah seems to be fairly unpopular around here. people want proper marketing. i think it's like that half-baked selfie he did - it's just enjoyable, fun, and raw.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-08-2018, 09:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

It depends on if you think he's being serious or not when he's striking those poses with the photos and such. I personally think he's trying to be funny in those bits. If people think he's actually trying to play it completely straight throughout this entire video, though, I can see why they'd be cringing.