The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-12-2004, 03:22 PM

Default Which guitar in Red Rover?

All right gearheads, does anyone know which guitar is playing on stage for Red Rover?

Is it one of the Renaissance models? The Model 1? A Chet Atkins?

Inquiring minds want to know.

If you don't know, make something up.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And one more question:
does he play the song alone like Big love or are there several guitars on it? I can't tell from the audio clip but surely someone who attended the show can tell.

Last edited by stefan; 05-12-2004 at 03:43 PM..
Old 05-12-2004, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

there MUST be more! but on the other hand...I said that when I heard NGBA and big Love, too

Old 05-12-2004, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
there MUST be more! but on the other hand...I said that when I heard NGBA and big Love, too
Nah... With Red Rover, there's no way he's playing by himself. There's probably two or three other guitars.

Strand, help us out here, will you? You were there. Or were you too busy consuming Stevie with your eyes to notice?
Old 05-12-2004, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm listening to it now. Why couldn't it be one guitar? I think it will be more difficult to play with more than one, to stay in the same rhythm.
I'm not going to attempt to play this one myself, though...
Old 05-12-2004, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have a feeling the people who performed the song with him were Mick, who did the percussion; Taku who did the maracas type thing and Lindsey, who did it with the Rennaissance. I have a feeling he did a Big Love thing where he plays the bass/lead all in one. I have a feeling the guitar is in some wierd tuning. I mean if you listen to the bootleg that's all that seems to be there. I have a feeling it was just that trio, MAYBE Neale backing Lindsey up someway but I'm gonna say no.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGrass
I have a feeling it was just that trio, MAYBE Neale backing Lindsey up someway but I'm gonna say no.
That would be almost impossible, from what I hear. But like I said, he amazed me on several other occasions. I'd say it are two at least. But IF he's alone out there: UNREAL.

Old 05-13-2004, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGrass
I have a feeling the people who performed the song with him were Mick, who did the percussion; Taku who did the maracas type thing and Lindsey, who did it with the Rennaissance. I have a feeling he did a Big Love thing where he plays the bass/lead all in one. I have a feeling the guitar is in some wierd tuning. I mean if you listen to the bootleg that's all that seems to be there. I have a feeling it was just that trio, MAYBE Neale backing Lindsey up someway but I'm gonna say no.
It's hard to tell from the live bootleg if it's more than one guitar. The sound is too muddled. I'll be surprised if it is just one guitar. After all, the recording has something like four, and I couldn't discern any significant difference from the live recording.

But, someone like Jason, who was at the Lindsey PBS show in Chicago and in Madison, might be able to shed some light on this.

Straaaanddd.... help us out here.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

LB said in Guitar One magazine:

Quote:
...and we’re working on “Red Rover” today – it’s interesting to do live. We’ve got three guitar players running through this vibrato on/off thing, and the on/off is toed into a specific click. And we have to play to that click or the timing’s all off, so we’re working it all out and it’s pretty trippy.
So (unless the arrangement has changed since this June 2003 interview), it's the three musketeers playing in perfect synch.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
It's hard to tell from the live bootleg if it's more than one guitar. The sound is too muddled. I'll be surprised if it is just one guitar. After all, the recording has something like four, and I couldn't discern any significant difference from the live recording.

But, someone like Jason, who was at the Lindsey PBS show in Chicago and in Madison, might be able to shed some light on this.

Straaaanddd.... help us out here.

Oh my memory Neale H. was playing on RR. I do not remember what he was playing though. Also, Brett T. was playing something and the song does not really have a keyboard aspect to it. So, perhaps Brett was synth'ing a guitar, perhaps bass Also, I got the impression that the people under the stage working the computers were adding sound in some way a la Peacekeeper's squawking noises. Note, Brett does play guitar and did so at the Madison concert on SLMDA - It looked like an scoustic guitar.

I hope that helps.

Also, Carlos and Neale H. played guitar with RR, I think, in Madison - although I cannot be sure.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 05-14-2004, 02:23 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Oh my memory Neale H. was playing on RR. I do not remember what he was playing though. Also, Brett T. was playing something and the song does not really have a keyboard aspect to it. So, perhaps Brett was synth'ing a guitar, perhaps bass Also, I got the impression that the people under the stage working the computers were adding sound in some way a la Peacekeeper's squawking noises. Note, Brett does play guitar and did so at the Madison concert on SLMDA - It looked like an scoustic guitar.

I hope that helps.

Also, Carlos and Neale H. played guitar with RR, I think, in Madison - although I cannot be sure.
Do you (or anyone else) remember what position, if any, the capo was at on Lindsey's guitar