Addicted Ledgie

Artist: Lissie
Hails From: Rock Island, Ill.
Song: 'In Sleep (Live)'
Album: 'Catching a Tiger' [iTunes]
Sounds Like: Stevie Nicks, Florence Welch
Lissie, 'In Sleep (Live)' -- Free MP3 Download - Spinner
By Mike Spinella
Valerie Phillips Artist: Lissie Hails From: Rock Island, Ill. Song: 'In Sleep (Live)' Album: 'Catching a Tiger' [iTunes] Sounds Like: Stevie Nicks, ... The ending is a ripoff of Fleetwood Mac's Sisters of the Moon by Stevie Nicks! ...
Spinner - http://www.spinner.com/
Old 10-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Crystal Visions – The Very Best of Stevie Nicks

How beloved is Stevie Nicks? All six of her original solo albums, spanning 1981.2001, plus two best of collections,have been certified at least gold. With rock’s superstar chanteuse about to go back on the road after guesting on Tom Petty’s Highway Companion tour, Crystal Visions… covers her entire solo career for the first time in a CD+DVD package. Featured are several previously unreleased live tracks on the CD, as well as Stevie’s voice-over commentary for each video and her artwork on the DVD. Crystal Visions…The Best Of Stevie Nicks is exactly that.

With a career that’s seen her soar from struggling journeywoman to superstar via a fateful invitation to join Fleetwoood Mac, the singer who now bills herself as the most successful female artist in rock history looks back on the various facets of her iconography via this 16-track career retrospective. The mystic-folkie ethos that has long been her caricature are well-showcased via the cult fave Rumours outtake/B-side “Silver Spring,” the muscular Sheryl Crow collaboration “Sorcerer,” and a live version of the moody “Rhiannon” that casts it in even longer shadows.

Yet Stevie Nicks has always displayed a willingness to push herself beyond her hippie muse, as witnessed by the dense aura of Deep Dish’s remix of Mac’s “Dreams” and such disparate, pop-savvy solo highlights as “I Can’t Wait,” “Stand Back,” and shrewd, successful duets with Tom Petty (“Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around”) and Don Henley (“Leather and Lace”). Indeed, bookended by the original version of the hit “Edge of Seventeen” and a live revamping with the Melbourne Symphony that amps its every melodramatic nuance, reinvention often seems the anthology’s subtext. The album is also available in a deluxe edition featuring a DVD packed with videos, commentary, and more. –Jerry McCulley

Rating: (out of 40 reviews)

List Price: $18.98

Price: $7.56

This entry was posted in Music. Bookmark the permalink.
← Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock Guitar BundleHaribo Gummi Candy, Raspberries, 5-Pound Bag →5 Responses to Crystal Visions – The Very Best of Stevie Nicks
Lucky13 says:
October 8, 2010 at 11:05 pm
Review by Lucky13 for Crystal Visions – The Very Best of Stevie Nicks
Rating:
I must confess, I’d like a comp with all the Fleetwood Mac Stevie,

along with the solo stuff. I’m not a fan of live performances,

unless they surpass the studio versions, but the live tracks have something to offer for sure.

That being said, I like this comp, and I can even get by the 80′s period drum machine, and production, because it’s Stevie, and that voice, those words, and the witchy vibe, are what draws us to her.

Pick it up for The Tom Petty colaboration “Stop Draggin my Heart Around” and the Great version of Zeppelin’s “Rock and Roll” but hey it’s Stevie Nicks. It’s all good.

LindaJ says:
October 8, 2010 at 11:05 pm
Review by LindaJ for Crystal Visions – The Very Best of Stevie Nicks
Rating:
I wasn’t disappointed. I added this to my 6 CD changer in my Mustang.

Crank the tunes, roll down the windows and make sure the radar detector is plugged in!

J Can says:
October 8, 2010 at 11:06 pm
Review by J Can for Crystal Visions – The Very Best of Stevie Nicks
Rating:
I had to wait a long time for this cd to arrive. Still not sure if I like all the tracks on this cd as I think they remixed a couple of them. It still takes me back in time with a singer that I really like!

luvdolls says:
Review by luvdolls for Crystal Visions – The Very Best of Stevie Nicks
Rating:
Stevie Nicks still has one of the best voices around and this CD is a wonderful collection, not a bad track on it!

Nancy Diandra Nelson says:
Review by Nancy Diandra Nelson for Crystal Visions – The Very Best of Stevie Nicks
Rating:
I love this CD and have completely worn out one already. I can listen to Stevie Nicks songs over and over again. I would recomend buying it.

It has all of her great songs on it. If you love her you will love this CD.

http://www.smellsite.com/crystal-vis...-stevie-nicks/
Old 10-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Runnin' Down a Dream (2 DVD) | shadowparty.com
By admin
I really enjoyed the commentary by other artists like Stevie Nicks and George Harrison. Having an in depth look at the relationship Tom and the Heartbreakers had with these other artists was very interesting. ...
shadowparty.com - http://www.shadowparty.com/
Old 10-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie Nicks always seemed like the type of girl who could hang with the guys, keep up with a tour bus full of Lindsay Buckingham and all his testosterone, rip to shreds the heart of every man who dared cross her path. Christine McVie was a better singer, but Stephanie Lynn had the star power, no contest. These days I listen to Tusk and wonder how to get that star power. Maybe she kept it under the top hat with her gold dust and the white rabbit.I’ve said it before… Stevie Nicks is my other husband.

http://caryrandolph.tumblr.com/post/...e-type-of-girl
Old 10-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Beyonce's songwriting capabilities

There’s more: “Baby Boy” was based on a hit by reggae star Ini Kamoze called “Here Comes the Hot Stepper.” “Naughty Girl” is merely a hefty sample of Donna Summer and Giorgio Moroder’s “Love to Love You Baby.” “Bills Bills Bills” was written by singer/songwriter Kandi Burruss and producer Kevin Briggs. “Nasty Girl” and “Survivor” were the work of composer/producer Anthony Dent, who had to share credit with not only Beyonce but also her father, Matthew Knowles. “Bootylicious” is simply Stevie Nicks’s “Edge of Seventeen.”

Nicks, following Sting’s lead from years ago with Diddy’s sample of “Every Breath You Take,” did not allow Destiny’s Child or Beyonce to get any royalties at all. Rock on, Stevie!

In fact, not one of the songs listed under Beyonce’s name on the BMI Web site is written solely by her. They are usually credited to a list of songwriters. The list comprises the actual writers, and then a few people who’ve “tweaked” the song with a rap or by adding samples.

But this is the way it’s done in hip-hop and rap. “Writing” a song has new meaning. It means “licensing” the song from another writer. The word “composer” is not in the hip-hop dictionary.

http://bestwaytoconceive.com/why-did...-her-own-music
Old 10-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
“Bootylicious” is simply Stevie Nicks’s “Edge of Seventeen.”

Nicks, following Sting’s lead from years ago with Diddy’s sample of “Every Breath You Take,” did not allow Destiny’s Child or Beyonce to get any royalties at all. Rock on, Stevie!
It was kind of her though to appear in the video. She should have shown a little more booty though IMO like the girls. No wait, she should have been in the group dance shots shakin' it with the girls! Now that would have been hawt.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Dave Stewart teamed up with Bob Dylan and Stevie Nicks for ...
By admin
As Dave Stewart revealed on his new album website for The Blackbird Diaries today, it doesn't only include duets with Stevie Nicks, Martina McBride and Colbie.
Eurythmics at ethrill.net ::... - http://ethrill.net/

Preview Dave Stewart's New Album Featuring Stevie Nicks: The ...
By noreply@blogger.com (Vivienne)
Big news yesterday when Dave Stewart tweeted a link to a sampling site for his forthcoming album, The Blackbird Diaries, featuring duets with Stevie Nicks, Martina McBride, The Secret Sisters and more. You must sign in with your Twitter ...
Stevie Nicks News | Stevie Nicks... - http://www.stevie-nicks-news.com/
Old 10-10-2010, 03:54 AM
Registered

Nicks, following Sting’s lead from years ago with Diddy’s sample of “Every Breath You Take,” did not allow Destiny’s Child or Beyonce to get any royalties at all. Rock on, Stevie! --someone claimed, and viv was kind enough to pass along.

Do we know this to be so? That Stevie kept all of the "Bootylicious" publishing? I doubt it to be so. Normally, with sampling, there is a substantial fee paid to the original writer and producer, and they are credited in liner notes. In the case of 'Bootylicious'- the lyric that Beyonce wrote had a right to be copyrighted as her lyrics, but not the music. I doubt SN would have been wanted in the video had she insisted on keeping all of the "royalties"- A clue the blogger is uninformed- the issue would be the publishing, I believe. It may have been part of the arrangement made- being in that video exposed Stevie to a new generation who didn't know her, and I'm sure she got her share of sampling royalties, or even co-authorship, SN wrote the music, but Destinys Child certainly got 'royalties' off the sales.
I dont think Stevie would be able to keep all publishing on Bootylicious- and considering Waddy has said SN lifted 'EOS' from a Police riff, it may be even less likely.
I wonder if Sting forgets that the entire melody and arrangement of 'Every Breath You Take' was directly stolen from Melanie Safka's cover of 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow' written by Carole King and Gerry Goffin, but The Police completely stole the plucky arrangement from the Melanie version. I believe at the time the band paid Safka's husband a fee, and the Melanie song barely charted years before, but if you are able to track down Melanie's 'Will You Still Love Me'-- the music is identical to 'Every Breath You Take', even tho the song wasn't written by her. So, maybe only the arrangement was stolen- but stolen it was. They are too identical sounding for it to be a coincidence.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 10-10-2010 at 04:09 AM..
Old 10-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^
I agree with you Nikolaj. I think that blogger has no idea what he's talking about. But it made for a good story regardless. At least we get to read how phony Beyonce really is. Nice gal though.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Decibel Festival 2010: Sunday
By Philip LaRose, KEXP
I was particularly amused when I recognized a vocal sample and realized after a couple minutes that it was the refrain to Stevie Nicks' “Edge of Seventeen,” not something I'd have expected. It was a very good afternoon, ...
The KEXP Blog - http://blog.kexp.org/blog/
Old 10-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Old 10-13-2010, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

jukebox hero » There Must Be Some Kind Of Way Out Of Here
By cassie
When I visited the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, I practically ran to the Hendrix display to absorb it in all its purply-velvety greatness (besides shedding a tear in front of Stevie Nicks' black “Rhiannon” batwing dress). ...
jukebox hero - http://jukeboxhero.areavoices.com/
Old 10-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Ooh, what a talented guy

This was hard to pull off because it is a woman, Stevie Nicks (who has an amazing voice btw), singing. At first I tried to go for a feminine approach, but that is just really hard to pull off. From 1:00 to 1:30 in I start transitioning into a more masculine sound since that was a lot easier. I think few people can compare to Stevie Nicks in the vocal arena, so I was definitely not trying to compete with her, just having fun with a song I really like and emulating it. If you don’t like it, please forgive me. Please rate, comment, subscribe, etc

http://www.macktactics.com/howtoappr...-of-seventeen/
Old 10-19-2010, 12:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

October 17, 2010

Music licenser suing City View over fees
Bernie Hornick
bhornick@tribdem.com The Tribune-Democrat Sun Oct 17, 2010, 11:15 PM EDT

— Stevie Nicks wants a piece of a prominent Johnstown businessman.

And so do the Gibb brothers, of “Saturday Night Fever” fame.

Indirectly, through recording industry licenser BMI, they’re suing Andy Lasky and his City View Bar & Grill in federal court – saying he played their songs for karaoke May 7 without paying royalties.

BMI said the club played about 20 of 44 songs without permission that day, including “Landslide” by Nicks, “How Deep is Your Love” by the Bee Gees and “Paradise by the Dashboard Light,” written by Jim Steinman.

City View owner Andy Lasky did not return a call for comment.

BMI said it catches up with misguided merriment by comparing computerized lists of liquor license holders kept by states with its own list of clubs that pay yearly licensing fees for its music.

The nonprofit licenses just over half of the music in America with 6.5 million songs in its catalog.

Then, it checks out the unlicensed clubs one at a time.

Researchers often record the music inside the club – which a BMI spokesman said is legal in all 50 states.

“Songwriters make a living a penny at a time, or a fraction of a penny at a time,” BMI spokesman Jerry Bailey said from Nashville, Tenn.

“We don’t consider ourselves the police of anything,” he said. “We ask the federal courts to enforce copyright law.”

Club owners are asked to pay a yearly fee of $320 to $9,000, with the average restaurant paying $600.

The fee is based on the fire code capacity and on what Bailey calls the music’s “intensity.” The more intense the scene, the higher the fee.

For a little ambient music, the fee is low. The fee is higher with live music, if a cover is charged and if dancing is encouraged.

BMI files 100 to 200 copyright-infringement lawsuits a year.

“We’re not trying to put these businesses under. If we didn’t do this, some business owners wouldn’t take us seriously,” Bailey said. Most of these civil lawsuits are settled out of court.

Composers not registered with BMI can license their music through another agency, such as ASCAP.

http://tribune-democrat.com/local/x1...View-over-fees
Old 10-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie Nicks - A Class Act

"I don't know all the specific details of this story but here's the gist.
Stevie Nicks, songwriter and singer extraordinaire from the mega rock band Fleetwood Mac, became acquainted with Sara and became Sara's dear friend and supporter. Stevie and Sara both shared a love of Welsh mythology, particularly the tale of the horse goddess Rhiannon...yes that Rhiannon of the famous song. Over the years, whenever Sara was well enough, her father took her to see Stevie perform, all over the country. Stevie, who lost one of her dearest friends to cancer years ago, formed a deep bond with Sara and visited her in po-dunkville Pennsylvania, far from the glitterati of Los Angeles and New York. "

More + picture here: http://beverlyhillsbranche.blogspot....class-act.html

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/