Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
I agree, I should have included an addendum that Stevie's answer was potentially a bigger awareness of women's many current issues (which include women's reproductive choices) that are once again being challenged on the national & political stage.
Instead this thread delineated into some kind of petty competition about whom is or was the bigger woman feminist trailblazer of rock, simply because of a seemingly reactionary opinion by one that Stevie put herself on a pedestal and somehow put down other women.
hey now! you all were saying over and over that my reactionary opinion was misplaced, that SN said "we" not "i" in that interview, and that i misunderstood what she meant. by this point in the thread, many here convinced me this may be the case and i may have not been giving her enough credit about recognizing other women rockers.

now you are saying that this thread has turned in "petty competition" because many other women rockers (that would have been encompassed in Stevie's "we", no?) have been recognized and credited too?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 03-18-2013, 09:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
hey now! you all were saying over and over that my reactionary opinion was misplaced, that SN said "we" not "i" in that interview, and that i misunderstood what she meant. by this point in the thread, many here convinced me this may be the case and i may have not been giving her enough credit about recognizing other women rockers.

now you are saying that this thread has turned in "petty competition" because many other women rockers (that would have been encompassed in Stevie's "we", no?) have been recognized and credited too?
I'm just implying that it's so subjective & secondary to pit all these women's feminist creditials against each other, when it was never Stevie's clear intention to put herself on any pedestal, or before any other women in her response to women's rights.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
you need to float like a goddess so you can get your rights? what?? sorry, i think i can have my rights without having to float. i like to stomp.
That statement stood out at me. Stevie completely contradicted herself, asserting that all women have be goddess-like to earn their rights. Surely, she likely didn't intend to regress and support old school misogyny, but many people will interpret it that way; the message being that image/looks are what opens doors. Sadly, there's a bit of truth to it!

Ledgies understand Stevie Speak, but the general public doesn't. Any time Stevie publicly speaks about social/political issues, it can be cringe-worthy. She has only a modicum of intelligence to tackle serious issues with any depth of knowledge. Though the her clipped musings are amusing and quirky, it doesn't do her image any favors.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 03-18-2013 at 09:44 AM..
Old 03-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Ledgies understand Stevie Speak. Any time Stevie publicly speaks about social/political issues, it can be cringe-worthy. She has only a modicum of intelligence to tackle serious issues with any depth of knowledge.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think when Stevie mentioned floating like a goddess she basically means "acting regal" that is, go in strong, expecting to be treated well and with respect, and giving severe disapproval to those who don't comply. You know, imagine doing something Queen Elizabeth doesn't approve of and the cold, stare you'd get from her.....
Old 03-18-2013, 10:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I find it really hard to believe that most people would seriously read that comment and come away with "Stevie Nicks thinks women have to look so beautiful, to the point of being called goddesses for that beauty, in order to earn their rights." It seems really super obvious to me that she is saying that she would make it clear from the way she carried herself that she wouldn't be walked all over. It's utterly nothing I can't imagine someone not named Stevie Nicks saying.

She's clearly talking about attitude with that comment. I've posted that comment a few times on my Tumblr, none of the people who have reacted to it thought she was talking about looking like the patriarchal ideal of beauty, and maybe about 10% even care about Fleetwood Mac.

Yes, "goddess" implies superhuman and feminism isn't about women being superhuman, but in the context of an industry and a culture like rock and roll (in which it's not just fine, it's fun to debate which male star is a god ... and then go spray paint it on alleys ...) who really begrudges her that? Making a mountain out of a molehill IMO.

Last edited by redbird; 03-18-2013 at 11:10 AM..
Old 03-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

here's more of what she said about this in her interview (see the thread with the whole NPR interview for more):

Nicks: It worked. It always worked. So, our boys never went anywhere without us. And we were always invited to the party. But it was because we demanded that from the very beginning. 'Cause you know, you can't just, like, be a wimp and then a year and a half or two years later decide to not be a wimp anymore. Because people will always treat you like a wimp once they have decided that's what you are. So you can never, ever be that. You have to be strong and tough and intelligent and smart and kind of plan out what you're going to say and know who you are. So that people will get that right away. Because then they're always going to be great to you. And they're always going to treat you with respect. And that's what you want, because then they listen to you. And then they listen to your songs. And then they give you a chance. Otherwise, you get nowhere.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm just implying that it's so subjective & secondary to pit all these women's feminist creditials against each other, when it was never Stevie's clear intention to put herself on any pedestal, or before any other women in her response to women's rights.
I don’t see that people are pitting these women or their credentials, feminist or otherwise, against each other; that would be wrong and misplaced. I initially subjectively thought SN was doing this in that npr interview, and it may have been an impression I got from some of her fans - that they think she was somehow more important while disregarding the others. But in the course of this thread, I thought we resolved this was wrong assumption on my part, no?

All these women people were listing and recognizing objectively deserve credit and they and others who we are forgetting were still a small percentage compared to a number of men rockers, and there is ton of space for many many more. Why diminish them by making it a competition?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"

Last edited by elle; 03-18-2013 at 11:13 AM..
Old 03-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
what a crock of sh*t.

putting down every other woman especially from the current generation, while putting herself on a pedestal of fighting for women's rights?? pleeeeeease.
If you hate her so much why are you here? We really don't want to hear stuff like this.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
All these women people were listing and recognizing objectively deserve credit and they and others who we are forgetting were still a small percentage compared to a number of men rockers, and there is ton of space for many many more. Why diminish them by making it a competition?
That's my point! It is not a competition nor should it be one. Assumptive conjecture on your part drew the ire of some Stevie fans as it should have. And I quote:"putting down every other woman especially from the current generation, while putting herself on a pedestal of fighting for women's rights?" I was simply touching upon something different entirely (current women's rights issues) since the thread went south after your reactionary initial response. End of story.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
why are you here? We really don't want to hear stuff like this.
didn't you just a minute ago profusely thank me for giving you the info about q&a in LA?

Old 03-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool

Quote:
That's my point! It is not a competition nor should it be one.
glad we agree.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
didn't you just a minute ago profusely thank me for giving you the info about q&a in LA?
Sorry. I've got a fever and a headache and really cranky. I'm not myself today. I was seriously coming here to delete my comment hoping nobody had seen it. I'm really ashamed.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird View Post
I find it really hard to believe that most people would seriously read that comment and come away with "Stevie Nicks thinks women have to look so beautiful, to the point of being called goddesses for that beauty, in order to earn their rights." It seems really super obvious to me that she is saying that she would make it clear from the way she carried herself that she wouldn't be walked all over. It's utterly nothing I can't imagine someone not named Stevie Nicks saying.
I don't know if people take away that Stevie thinks women have to look beautiful, but I do think the comment seems flighty and undermines the other part of her message.

To me, Stevie is saying the same thing that she said many years ago, that in Fritz and then in FM she told those men that she would be equal to them on stage AND that she would not be carrying the equipment cases backstage. I think she means to herald both the equality between the sexes and the distinction she perceives between them.

But her statement has been quoted a lot in the wires and I guess I could read the comments sections in the various newspapers to see what non-fans think about it, but the comments sections are a very scary place.

Michele
Old 03-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For what it's worth, this same article was posted on Oh No They Didnt, a gossip blog notorious for cutting down celebrities (and which also happens to have a very strong feminist presence). There's basically 100+ comments of people agreeing with her.

http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com...?view=comments