User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Blade View Post
Oh don't kid yourself, Kristen's horse farm and multi million dollar vanity decorating projects aren't financed with the mere applause of the masses celebrating the tireless dedication to art. Otherwise your solo tour ticket when that comes along would be free. No...they ALL like to get paid.
Lindsey caved. As he did here. Nobody is arguing that. However, his artistic ambitions are part of what Stevie/Mick undermine (maybe they ARE better business people than him, I don't know).

Regardless, it's equally silly to think their music GOING FORWARD is even interesting, despite two new members, when the hot story is the genius behind RUMOURS and the cause celebre of THE DANCE getting FIRED. THAT IS THE STORY any good journalist would investigate. Why did the band fire him? And how will they make up for the lack of dramatic tension Lindsey and Stevie provide in concert?

Since we are not talking about good journalists, yes, you are right, they will focus on the tour and how new players will add some fresh air blah blah talking points "the hits" and the deep cuts that fans will appreciate.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 04-24-2018 at 02:09 PM..
Old 04-24-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
7am-9am Eastern time.

Good luck to you tomorrow, SisterNightroad, as well as the other moderators! You'll do good!
Then it's 13:00-15:00 for me, unfortunately I'm not sleeping at that time...however thanks.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Lindsey caved. As he did here. Nobody is arguing that. However, his artistic ambitions are part of what Stevie/Mick undermine (maybe they ARE better business people than him, I don't know).

Regardless, it's equally silly to think their music GOING FORWARD is even interesting, despite two new members, when the hot story is the genius behind RUMOURS and the cause celebre of THE DANCE getting FIRED. THAT IS THE STORY any good journalist would investigate. Why did the band fire him? And how will they make up for the lack of dramatic tension Lindsey and Stevie provide in concert?

Since we are not talking about good journalists, yes, you are right, they will focus on the tour and how new players will add some fresh air blah blah talking points "the hits" and the deep cuts that fans will appreciate.
Exactly, these morning shows aren't going to be the place for any investigative journalism. Just fairly positive fluff segments to watch while you sip your morning coffee and band Summer tour announcement profiles fit right in.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh don't kid yourself, Kristen's horse farm and multi million dollar vanity decorating projects aren't financed with the mere applause of the masses celebrating the tireless dedication to art. Otherwise your solo tour ticket when that comes along would be free. No...they ALL like to get paid.
The situation as seen through the eyes of a Lindsey superfan:

Stevie and Mick are money and power hungry and have been trying for over 40 years to get him out of FM.

Lindsey only does music for the art and for his fans. He doesn't care about money at all, and money has never played a part in any decision he's ever made when it came to FM. He has also sacrificed nearly 45 years of his life to make FM what they are, and he and he alone is why FM has been successful.

Christine and John are totally innocent and have nothing to do with any of this. Christine in particular is devastated by what Stevie and Mick have done, but has no choice but to go along with it because she signed an iron clad contract that she simply can't get out of. Otherwise, she would have left when Lindsey was fired. In fact, she was planning to perform with FM AND join Lindsey on some of his his solo dates before this blew up.

The situation as seen through my eyes:

Lindsey and the band disagreed about something, words may have been said, and the band fired Lindsey and asked Mike Campbell and Neil Finn to replace him so they could continue with the tour as planned. FM Will tour and make a lot of money. Lindsey will tour and make a lot of money, and release his solo album as well. All will make a chunk of change and continue to live in mansions, go on fabulous vacations, and never have to worry about how they're going to pay an electric bill or that their 401k is going under.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, Anthony Mason does great with performers. And he DOES ask the questions he knows people in the audience will want to know. He does it in a very classy way.

Gosh, I don't know whose corn flakes I p*ssed in this morning.... by golly.

Speaking not as a Lindsey "superfan", but as someone who was always a huge Stevie fan, as well as of the 5 together above all else, the difference between Lindsey and Bob Welch should be obvious. Bob wasn't a key architect in making massive, 40-million-copies sold albums. Bob wasn't part of FM as a supergroup. Bob didn't have the press/media profile LB has. That's why people may ask about Lindsey when they didn't ask about Bob. Most people, honestly, wouldn't have known who Bob was at the time. Many people do know who Lindsey is.

If anyone thinks the two new members will somehow lead to a great renaissance of new, ground breaking Mac music, as S & N did when they joined, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Yes, this will be morning tv fluff, but, for those mocking the mention of Gayle, no she's not a hard journalist, but she's very much someone with a big mouth who will ask anything, often to the chagrin of her co hosts. When you're besties with Oprah, I guess you don't have to feel self conscious about sticking to the script. That was my only point; she can be a wild card asking embarrassing questions. It doesn't bother her. She'll blurt out anything.

My bet is that Anthony Mason WILL ask them some cursory question early on. THey'll want to focus on selling, so they'll say something rehearsed, then say "but we move on, that's what we do, and we're so excited to have Mike and Neill". Who wants to take bets?

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 04-24-2018 at 02:31 PM..
Old 04-24-2018, 02:30 PM
Junior Ledgie

https://youtu.be/LkbM8qs6JmM

Livenation are starting to release promo for tour dates
Old 04-24-2018, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
When Bob Welch moved on and Stevie and Lindsey came onboard, when it came time to promote a first tour/new material, would you expect that they would have devoted much press time to Bob's time in the band? Of course not, they would want you to meet Stevie and Lindsey and start getting stoked about their possible contributions. I just can't fathom why anyone would think that this piece would be about doing anything to explain/vindicate/whatever your particular agenda is, regarding Lindsey's absence from the band.
Bob Welch moved on, he wasn't fired. Different story. Everything regarding pre Rumours is a different story with this band.

I don't have a particular agenda. He was fired.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Did I say Lindsey doesn't enjoy money? Because I don't remember it.
What I do remember is you saying you weren't making some kind of dig at Lindsey. Yeah, that I remember!
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Oh, Anthony Mason does great with performers. And he DOES ask the questions he knows people in the audience will want to know. He does it in a very classy way.

If anyone thinks the two new members will somehow lead to a great renaissance of new, ground breaking Mac music, as S & N did when they joined, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Yes, this will be morning tv fluff, but, for those mocking the mention of Gayle, no she's not a hard journalist, but she's very much someone with a big mouth who will ask anything, often to the chagrin of her co hosts. When you're besties with Oprah, I guess you don't have to feel self conscious about sticking to the script. That was my only point; she can be a wild card asking embarrassing questions. It doesn't bother her. She'll blurt out anything
Bombaysaffires, I wasn't mocking Gayle King, I was mocking the idea that FM would be afraid of a reporter, no matter who it was. Sorry if I came across pi$$y, that wasn't my intention. I got frustrated because I was looking to see if tour dates had been announced, and I saw more rumors being floated by Lindsey superfans. I'd rather read facts than rumors. I'm glad to hear Anthony Mason has done a good job in the past. I'm not familiar with him.

I certainly don't believe Neil Finn or Mike Campbell will lead to a renaissance for FM. I don't think it was going to happen with Lindsey, either. Stevie wasn't going to record with Lindsey anymore, so new material wasn't going to happen, anyway.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
Bob Welch moved on, he wasn't fired. Different story. Everything regarding pre Rumours is a different story with this band.

I don't have a particular agenda. He was fired.
So you REALLY believe that a light-weight morning show giving a forum for a "hooray, we are on tour this Summer with some fresh new faces and invite you all to come out and see us and have a great time, blah, blah blah" announcement is going to ask any really hard hitting questions? It just isn't going to happen, that isn't what those types of shows do. Either way, I guess we will know tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

here's a good clip, Anthony Mason with Led Zeppelin asking them about reunion rumors which they didn't really want to talk about: (bad audio)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhyW3_2f02w

Just a sample of his style. I'm gonna be interested to see him tomorrow. I'm not expecting anything earth shattering, but interesting
Old 04-24-2018, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
Did I say Lindsey doesn't enjoy money? Because I don't remember it.
What I do remember is you saying you weren't making some kind of dig at Lindsey. Yeah, that I remember!
This is what I was making a response to:

Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
To quote Stevie Nicks: "This is not about art!"
Exactly! It has always been about BUSINESS to Mick and Stevie!

I can point out that Lindsey has some big bills to pay and doubtless prefers to be paid (and paid well) over just doing it for the art as the implication appears to be, without it being a "dig" at Lindsey. (when I said I wasn't making a dig at Lindsey, it was about it being normal for a morning show doing a quick tour profile not to spend much time on a closed chapter of a band)

Incidentally, regarding making digs, isn't that exactly what you two are doing to Mick and Stevie?

Last edited by Feather Blade; 04-24-2018 at 03:54 PM..
Old 04-24-2018, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So you REALLY believe that a light-weight morning show giving a forum for a "hooray, we are on tour this Summer with some fresh new faces and invite you all to come out and see us and have a great time, blah, blah blah" announcement is going to ask any really hard hitting questions? It just isn't going to happen, that isn't what those types of shows do. Either way, I guess we will know tomorrow.
um, if you're asking me, I refer you back to my previous answer.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:45 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
The situation as seen through my eyes:

Lindsey and the band disagreed about something, words may have been said, and the band fired Lindsey and asked Mike Campbell and Neil Finn to replace him so they could continue with the tour as planned. FM Will tour and make a lot of money. Lindsey will tour and make a lot of money, and release his solo album as well. All will make a chunk of change and continue to live in mansions, go on fabulous vacations, and never have to worry about how they're going to pay an electric bill or that their 401k is going under.
That's how I see it too. Honestly, I don't think Lindsey is losing half as much sleep over this situation as some on this board are. (I don't mean that in a bad way toward members of this forum because I get that fans are upset, I can understand that this would be incredibly disappointing particularly for those who are primarily fans of Lindsey.)

But to me, this is a bunch of elderly millionaires who have marketed in drama for decades. They're all old enough to do what they want without owing me an explanation. They're also all going to be just fine. As for me, I'm simply happy they're all still alive and willing to hit the road for my entertainment (and their bank accounts ).

I also don't expect any hard hitting journalism from tomorrow's piece. In part because that's not what the show or their entertainment pieces are about...and in part because the general public is not worked up about Lindsey's firing in the manner that segments of this fandom are. John Q. Public may look at the situation with amusement ("the Fleetwood Mac-iest thing to do..." or "Bunch of septuagenarian STILL can't get along") and be interested in what went down out of curiosity, but it's just a small but vocal segment of the internet that is outraged by this and demanding answers. Most of the people who will be watching tomorrow aren't looking for Gayle King to get up in Stevie's face demanding to know who is responsible.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
um, if you're asking me, I refer you back to my previous answer.
No that was for Button Lip, not you.