Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxmx
no really, they're little. tit high.

ps i am opting for a slighty conservative sweater instead of pasties and a tutu.
Oh you must share with us the story of the first awkward doofy kid that looks over & is at direct eye level with your boobs. Cuz it's bound to happne.

And you can borrow my pink hoodie to wear instead of the sweater since the pasties didn't work out. If you want.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My first day of school in 6th grade was good except for one part. I was 25 minutes late for World Cultures class because I got so lost in that huge school. The teacher understood though!

Why do the kids start so early Mariel? We don't go back till early sept.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover
My first day of school in 6th grade was good except for one part. I was 25 minutes late for World Cultures class because I got so lost in that huge school. The teacher understood though!

I don't know about elsewhere but in New Mexico the kids start either this week or next - always start in August - but the kids get out of school in May!
Old 08-08-2006, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

School starts tomorrow?! Wow, its different than when I was a kid.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODDESS6
he was begging me to home school him all summer~ anyone have any thoughts on this?
honest opinion: teaching a comprehensive curriculum is difficult. i have a list of standards and essential learnings that i have to incorporate into my lessons and if i fail to do that, i can be released from my contract (fired) for failure to comply. i spend hours every week preparing for class and documenting my lessons. just for one subject. hours. i'm not saying that you - or anyone else who homeschools - is incompetent, but i find it hard to believe that any one person who is not trained in all four core subjects can successfully teach a child without losing something in the process. JMHO.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover
no clue. we start now and get out in mid may... makes no sense.

and i am in st. petersburg, florida. and i wear sweaters because although it's 92 outside, my room is 75. which sounds really warm to most of you, but i'm a wuss.

today went well. they're so tiny! one student was as tall as i am (5'5") and the rest were just puny, wandering around with their schedule held up in front of them searching for the correct room. i was standing with my back against the wall in the hallway, right at the corner outside my room and i stretched my hand out to point some kid in the right direction and inadvertantly clotheslined some tiny kid in the process. sorry! i let them ask questions about me and i got some pretty good ones... what color is my car (green), where did i go to school (nyc), why do i teach (they pay me millions), what did i do this summer (i saved my breath and just said 'traveled'). so cute!
Old 08-08-2006, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
my 7 yr old son starts back august 23rd, needless to say he is sooper dooper bummed~ he was begging me to home school him all summer~ anyone have any thoughts on this?~ i was wondering cuz i do wrk from home, have somewhat af an education in children & our school system sucks right now, we made national news about the "one city one school", where my city is really trying to racially segregate kids once again & put some shiny ass name on it~ it is a frickin' mess!!! ~
My friend has been a teacher for years, and is also getting an education PhD - she says all the homeschool kids she has met are pretty weird and really don't have necessary social skills. Not recommended.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 08-08-2006, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
no clue. we start now and get out in mid may... makes no sense.

and i am in st. petersburg, florida. and i wear sweaters because although it's 92 outside, my room is 75. which sounds really warm to most of you, but i'm a wuss.

today went well. they're so tiny! one student was as tall as i am (5'5") and the rest were just puny, wandering around with their schedule held up in front of them searching for the correct room. i was standing with my back against the wall in the hallway, right at the corner outside my room and i stretched my hand out to point some kid in the right direction and inadvertantly clotheslined some tiny kid in the process. sorry! i let them ask questions about me and i got some pretty good ones... what color is my car (green), where did i go to school (nyc), why do i teach (they pay me millions), what did i do this summer (i saved my breath and just said 'traveled'). so cute!
I just want to say... bless those of you who teach our kids. I know that the pay sucks for what you do, and some of them are hell-yens... (SP?) lol... but really. Teaching jobs are probably the most overworked, underpaid, and stressed out professions out there. I don't know how you do it, but my hats are off to you.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
My friend has been a teacher for years, and is also getting an education PhD - she says all the homeschool kids she has met are pretty weird and really don't have necessary social skills. Not recommended.
i agree w/ all that has been said on the subject, & i do think i could do it, i wrked w/ him alot last yr & at the end of the yr as a 1st grader he tested in the 3rd & 5th grade level in all his academics~ i do want my son around other children & quite encourage that w/ swimming lessons, sports, library day, playdates outings & such~ it's just right now this yr...the school system really needs to pull their head out...they are in no way considering what is best for these children, it is all politics right now & it is very sad state of affairs, i know school in a normal environment is best for social skill & problem solving, i just hate to see things going they way they are right now & so far no amount of pta meetings, school board meetings, petitions & things of the like are in any way getting the attention to the people who are running the show, they act obilivious to it all ~ i will stay on top of it tho, evry kid should get a wonderful education~
Old 08-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
i agree w/ all that has been said on the subject, & i do think i could do it, i wrked w/ him alot last yr & at the end of the yr as a 1st grader he tested in the 3rd & 5th grade level in all his academics~ i do want my son around other children & quite encourage that w/ swimming lessons, sports, library day, playdates outings & such~ it's just right now this yr...the school system really needs to pull their head out...they are in no way considering what is best for these children, it is all politics right now & it is very sad state of affairs, i know school in a normal environment is best for social skill & problem solving, i just hate to see things going they way they are right now & so far no amount of pta meetings, school board meetings, petitions & things of the like are in any way getting the attention to the people who are running the show, they act obilivious to it all ~ i will stay on top of it tho, evry kid should get a wonderful education~
What is wrong with the school again? They don't teach well?

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 08-09-2006, 06:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
What is wrong with the school again? They don't teach well?
well here's just the latest thing we have to deal w/ at my son's school

(Bellevue, NE) -- The location of the new Sarpy County Probation Reporting Center is a done deal despite neighborhood complaints. Critics voiced opposition at a public hearing in Bellevue Tuesday, questioning why the center would open in a strip mall center at 36th and Chandler Road just one block from Gilder Elementary School. Sarpy County officials say the center works with drug offenders, violent offenders & sex offenders. Bellevue police will have a presence there. County officials have already admitted they should have said something in advance. Neighbors, a nearby school and Bellevue city officials say they did not know about the plans. so what happened to sex offenders not being able to be close to schools?, this is a recipe for disastor if you ask me & when one of these convicts god forbid kidnaps, molests or try to give kids drugs~

the school in question is my son's~ his teacher last yr missed 42 days & the kids had an incompetent substitutes~ thanx god the hubby & i provide my son w/ a ride to & fro, becuz he can't even ride the bus, becuz they say he is white & we live 1 tenth of a mile too close to school, but my home is the 1st in the neighborhood & they drive right by my home to pick up other kids~ our school board also voted to segregate the kids, that means blacks at their own schools, hispanics at their own schools, whites at their own schools...~ i thought that kind of racial segregation was against the law?~ it is just a mess, we live in a wonderful middle class neighborhood, we pay some of the highest property taxes in the country(i swear), from which they pay these teachers & they are doing a piss poor job~ my child is my life & his well-being & education my top priority~ i don't want him to grow up a racist becuz the schools are even trying to teach them that the minority students don't deserve to go there, just sad~ because of the segregation thing(this made national news, people like jesse jackson & reps for rev al sharpton & leaders for hispanics came here in protest), you also can not anymore pick your own school, you go where they say, period~ i started calling before schools end last yr to get him in to a really good private school by me, but their waiting list, that we are on, is 2 yrs long~ so i feel in a quandry right now~ i mean it's my kid, not to mention the raw deal they are giving to other kids also ~
Old 08-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
honest opinion: teaching a comprehensive curriculum is difficult. i have a list of standards and essential learnings that i have to incorporate into my lessons and if i fail to do that, i can be released from my contract (fired) for failure to comply. i spend hours every week preparing for class and documenting my lessons. just for one subject. hours. i'm not saying that you - or anyone else who homeschools - is incompetent, but i find it hard to believe that any one person who is not trained in all four core subjects can successfully teach a child without losing something in the process. JMHO.
And doesn't the child not gain certain social skills obtained in a regular school? Just wondering...

Watching the drama of the Ledge since 2001.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker007nmss
And doesn't the child not gain certain social skills obtained in a regular school? Just wondering...
absolutely. group discussion, partner activities, just having to be around other kids is so important. it sets the stage for adult interaction. my mind was more focused on pedagogy, but the social aspects are just as important.

ps, it only took one day to get my name cut down to ms. d. my last name = two easy syllables... it's kinda cute though. and it was inevitable.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
absolutely. group discussion, partner activities, just having to be around other kids is so important. it sets the stage for adult interaction. my mind was more focused on pedagogy, but the social aspects are just as important.

ps, it only took one day to get my name cut down to ms. d. my last name = two easy syllables... it's kinda cute though. and it was inevitable.
did you guys read my last post, the 1 right above these last 2?~ that is why i was considering homeschooling for at least the next coupla yrs, till the schools get their **** together~ also the fact that they are having a probation office for drug, violent & sexual offenders a blk away~ i mean what more do they wanna put these elementary students thru?, they are children~