Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default first-day-of-school jitters

i teach. sixth grade. they're so freakin' tiny and adorable... and tomorrow is the first day of school.

anyway, anyone have any 'first day' stories to share?
Old 08-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxmx
i teach. sixth grade. they're so freakin' tiny and adorable... and tomorrow is the first day of school.

Tiny and adorable - boy you and my sister have complete opposite views of those little erm people

She teaches 6th grade as well - though this year she is excited because she gets to teach the gifted kids.

Anyway - no first of school stories - except I used to love that day - new clothes, new supplies...the thrill of finding out who your teachers are and which friends made it into your class.

Is 6th grade a new school where you are or is it still elementary?

Good luck on the first day!!!
Old 08-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Sixth graders are cool, you're lucky. Although, I'm confused, do the sixth graders in your area go to different subjects? In my sixth grade it was still all one class, with sojourns to other rooms for reading and math. Anyway, sixth graders are just starting to get sassy, depending on your neighborhood. But you may still be able to inspire them with the love of learning.

Um, yeah, I have a horror story:
Statistics (math! math I've never seen before! A whole different kind!)
Speech (I've been putting this one off since age 18! God knows why I can do everything else in front of people but speak my own words. I'm developing flop sweat just thinking about it.)
Torts
Law Office Management and Procedures
Legal Aspects of Evidence

That's my semester, as of now. Probably not what you meant.

I was trying to think of first day horror stories from my friend who is a teacher, but couldn't. She has lots of other horror stories, but they didn't happen on the first day.
Oh, how bout this? One day I asked my sixth grade teacher about gaining weight, and why she had gained weight, what the whole process was, etc. I was concerned about my weight gain (minimal) and she was fat but used to be athletic. So, I thought she would be an expert. Plus, I hated her and she was mean to me.
How's that? Is that good?

You'll be fine, everyone will love you, sixth grade will be interesting. That would be one of my few grades of choice, honestly. I think junior high would be harrowing, and highschool dispiriting, and younger elementary boring.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -

Last edited by amber; 08-07-2006 at 08:28 PM..
Old 08-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

GOOD LUCK - and I don't think the pasties are a good idea

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 08-07-2006, 08:56 PM
Senior Ledgie

I teach sixth grade too! I'm at a middle school so the kids change classes. I teach social studies (world history). Tomorrow is the first day of school for teachers...the kids start next week. They are small and cute the first few weeks of school....but some of them turn evil by Thanksgiving.

Good luck with your first day!!
Old 08-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

middle school here runs sixth -eighth so this is a brand new thing for most of the kids. there are six periods and the kids move around to different classrooms and for the first few weeks they look like ants scattering around a piece of candy on the ground, trying to remember where to go. it's endearing...

for the most part, the younger the kids are, the more teachers can get away with. my kids are still kids so they go with the flow much more readily that eighth graders. teaching eighth grade was horrible. i'll be glad to get the little ones tomorrow. no really, they're little. tit high.

ps i am opting for a slighty conservative sweater instead of pasties and a tutu.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. . . ps i am opting for a slighty conservative sweater instead of pasties and a tutu.
Then please return them ASAP

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 08-07-2006, 09:18 PM
amber
This message has been deleted by amber.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

aaahhh, sixth grade. Do you have to give them the "please use deoterant speech."
Old 08-08-2006, 06:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

my 7 yr old son starts back august 23rd, needless to say he is sooper dooper bummed~ he was begging me to home school him all summer~ anyone have any thoughts on this?~ i was wondering cuz i do wrk from home, have somewhat af an education in children & our school system sucks right now, we made national news about the "one city one school", where my city is really trying to racially segregate kids once again & put some shiny ass name on it~ it is a frickin' mess!!! ~
Old 08-08-2006, 07:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Wow, I can't believe school has started up where you are already! Also, I can't believe sixth graders are tiny and adorable there either. Now a days a lot of the middle school aged kids are already drinking, smoking and having sex!

Well, hope you have a good first day back at work!
Old 08-08-2006, 07:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODDESS6
my 7 yr old son starts back august 23rd, needless to say he is sooper dooper bummed~ he was begging me to home school him all summer~ anyone have any thoughts on this?~ i was wondering cuz i do wrk from home, have somewhat af an education in children & our school system sucks right now, we made national news about the "one city one school", where my city is really trying to racially segregate kids once again & put some shiny ass name on it~ it is a frickin' mess!!! ~
I personally think it's good for him to go to school for the interaction with other children. The social skills will do him a world of good when he gets older. However, I went to really bad schools, and I don't know ****. Maybe home schooling him won't be so bad.... never mind.....
Old 08-08-2006, 08:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

ps i am opting for a slighty conservative sweater instead of pasties and a tutu.
SWEATER??? Where are you?
Kids start elementary school here (I am the Principal's Secretary),
on the 30th of August ...not the 7th...
Wow, that seems so early, and a sweater??
Are you in Alaska?

Enjoy your first week!
(I on the other hand, am counting down the days until I have to return...
I start on the 21st.)

For never have I been a blue calm sea...I have always been a storm, always been a storm... sln
~~eclipse~~
Old 08-08-2006, 08:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODDESS6

If your child is begging to be home schooled because of the social situation at the school, then home schooling is probably best for him and you should look into what you have to do to make it happen for him. Children do not usually beg to be home schooled, unless there is an underlying cause. If you meet the qualifications required, and want to take on the task, then do it!!

If your son wants to be home schooled because he thinks it will be "fun" to be home all the time, he is sorely mistaken. Home schooling is much more demanding on the child, especially if the "home teacher" is very intelligent, well educated and demanding. When this scenario is present, more is expected from the child, and usually these home schoolers end up with a higher level of education than "traditional" schools. They often score considerably higher on their SAT's than "traditional students".

There are also options to get involved with other home schoolers in your area (I am sure there is a network of them!) and your son could be home schooled at someone else's home ~~ especially if it may interfer with your work (from home). Being a home school teacher is a full time job. It takes just as much preparation and time as a "traditional" teacher.

It doesn't hurt to look into your options.

She looks like a sweet little lamb from afar, but when you get close, you find out that she skinned and ate the darn thing just to use it as a coat. She's a beast.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know why the first day of school used to always give me the ****s. I was fairly popular and didn't go to a huge school so it wasn't like I didn't know everyone already. it's weird what tricks the mind can play.

good luck to all of you starting school in any form. it's never easy to do, but it will pay off.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix
aaahhh, sixth grade. Do you have to give them the "please use deoterant speech."

My sister does - every year - and every year they smell. Always. I go visit her and joke about the kid stink that is so prevelant in middle school.

I want to know where you guys are that the sixth graders are so cute and good because that is NOT the case in New Mexico nor was it in Rochester! They are good for the first month maybe then they turn to evil minions of the devil.