User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
He didn’t say any of that had a bearing on his joining the band, just that he had thought those days were behind him, until they weren’t.
Exactly...but once again words are twisted and used to make them look like they are all bowing to every Stevie whim. It makes me laugh now...it used to piss me off.

I am glad they are doing Free Fallin'. It is probably the most recognized Petty song and that segment will truly be a tribute to Stevie and Mike Campbell's good friend and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that in my opinion. And DDIO is the biggest song of Neil Finn's career. Why not let them shine a bit with their accomplishments before joining FM? Everyone knows who they were before joining this band.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

full article here:

Mike Campbell doesn’t cry when he talks about the early-morning phone call that told him Tom Petty, his bandleader and best friend of nearly 50 years, had just been rushed to the hospital. The Heartbreakers guitarist doesn’t cry when he remembers playing to a sold-out Hollywood Bowl with Petty one week before that horrible October morning either, or even when he remembers seeing Petty’s body in a hospital bed just hours before his heart stopped beating. “They had his hair straight,” Campbell says. “He was medicated and very still, but he looked like an angel.”

It’s not until he thinks back to a brief encounter after that Hollywood Bowl show — the final time he spoke with Petty — that the eyes behind Campbell’s purple Lennon sunglasses well up with tears. “We said that we loved each other,” he says, wiping the moisture off his face. “Sorry I’m crying. It’s going to take me a while, but I’m at peace with the way we left things.”

Ten months after Petty’s death, Campbell is sitting in the large studio he keeps on the grounds of the Woodland Hills, California, estate where he and his wife of 44 years have lived since 1981. “This is my sanctuary,” he says. The control room is cluttered with reminders of his four-decade tenure in the Heartbreakers — vintage gear, master tapes, a poster for the band’s 1997 residency at the Fillmore West and a huge photograph of the time he met one of his all-time heroes, Chuck Berry. Right now, these mementos mainly serve to underscore the fact that those days are over. “It’s like an alternate universe to me,” he says, speaking in a -northern-Florida drawl that’s eerily similar to Petty’s own. “There’s the then and the now. It’s different lives.”

He spent last winter at loose ends, puttering around here or at the Campbells’ second home, in Kauai, Hawaii. “It’s a perfect spot,” he says. “Maybe when I get older, I’ll end up there.” But retirement will have to wait: As of this spring, he’s the new guitarist for Fleetwood Mac, replacing Lindsey Buckingham for a world tour that’s slated to begin in October and run for at least a year. “When [we] start playing a song,” he says, “I think to myself, ‘Wow, how did I get here?’ ”

Apart from the odd side gig, Fleetwood Mac is the first band Campbell has been part of since the day he met Petty back in 1970. Nearly every night of the Heartbreakers’ 40th-anniversary tour last year, the singer told the story of how it happened. It started when Petty, then 20 years old, saw a sign at a Gainesville, Florida, music shop, placed there by a guitarist looking for a band. He drove out to the stranger’s house and found Campbell holding a cheap Japanese guitar that looked like it had been left out in the rain for a couple of weeks. “I thought, ‘We better get out of here,’ ” Petty would tell the crowds. “But pretty quick he kicked off ‘Johnny B. Goode,’ and . . . when he got to the end of the song, I said, ‘Man, I don’t know who you are, but you’re going to be in my band forever.’ ”

Campbell grew up in Jacksonville, a few hours north of that first encounter. He worshipped Roger McGuinn and George Harrison, and as soon as he left high school in 1968, he formed a group called Dead or Alive. That band went nowhere. But with Petty, he became the first Heartbreaker among equals — the only one to share songwriting and production duties with Petty, the only one allowed a significant role on Petty’s classic 1989 solo LP, Full Moon Fever, a constant presence at his side over hundreds of shows. “It was more than friendship,” says Campbell. “It was almost like destiny or a divine power that brought us together. If he hadn’t called that day, our whole lives would have been different.”

That doesn’t mean Petty and Campbell shared everything. The guitarist was aware that his old friend was experiencing pain in his hip on last year’s tour, a 56-show slog that kept them on the road from April to September, but he didn’t know how bad it got — or what Petty was doing to numb the agony. “I’d check on him and say, ‘Are you OK?’ ” Campbell says. “He never said, ‘I’m dying! I can’t do this!’ The worst he would say was, ‘I can feel it, but I can do the show.’ His face was always full of joy. After a while, I quit worrying about him.”

Days after the tour ended, Petty suffered massive cardiac arrest at his Los Angeles home. The coroner’s report blamed an accidental drug overdose involving the deadly opioid fentanyl, plus painkillers and anxiety meds including OxyContin, Restoril, Xanax and Celexa. On the day he died, according to his family, his hip fracture became a full-on break, likely leading him to take the fatal drug cocktail as a form of self-medication. “He fought his way through that [final] tour,” Petty’s longtime friend Stevie Nicks said months after he died. “He should have canceled and . . . gone home and gone to the hospital.”

This is a delicate issue for Campbell, and he bristles when it’s brought up. Fairly or unfairly, Nicks’ statement implies a share of responsibility for the guitarist and everyone else who kept the 2017 tour going despite the frontman’s medical challenges and history of addiction. “Stevie is coming from a loving place,” says Campbell, who has been close with Nicks since the early 1980s. “But she wasn’t there. Once Tom made up his mind, nobody was going to talk him out of anything. If you said, ‘Oh, you should go to the hospital,’ he’d be like, ‘**** you, I’m doing the tour.’ Nobody forced him to do it.”

The more we discuss this subject, the more forlorn Campbell seems. “What’s the point of hindsight?” he asks. “All I know is he did what he wanted to do, and we backed him up. We were there for him. And he was having the time of his life. I’m not jiving you. He was loving that tour.”

Campbell alludes to unspecified doubts about the official account of Petty’s death, but admits he hasn’t gone over the coroner’s report in full. Ultimately, he seems to see it as beside the point. “So what if the guy had a mishap?” he adds. “Tom was a human being. Whatever happened happened. What’s important is the music. That’s what they are going to remember.”

In the months following after the tragedy. imagining a future for the Heartbreakers without Petty was impossible. “I thought it would be too sad,” Campbell says. “Where’s the other brother? I’m not ready to face that.”

In time, he started to sketch out ideas for the first-ever national tour by his side band, the Dirty Knobs. It’s something he’d wanted to do for years, but Petty — concerned that this ragtag collection of Los Angeles session cats would somehow take away from the Heartbreakers — would never allow it. “Tom and I had our moments [of disagreement],” says Campbell. “We kept it private. But that type of friction was good for the music. It drove us to put a little more juice into our songs.”

He was sitting by the pool at his house, around his 68th birthday, when he got a phone call from Mick Fleetwood. Nobody knew it at the time, but Fleetwood Mac had just parted ways with Buckingham and were in the market for a new guitarist. “I’d met Mick once or twice, but never really got to know him,” says Campbell. “But he goes to me, ‘I’ve been listening to your music a lot. Would you be interested in joining the band?’ ”

Fleetwood’s offer to make Campbell a full member of the storied Southern California band — not a hired hand — was both exciting and daunting. “I thought I’d never play big gigs again,” Campbell says. “I thought I’d never be on the G4 [private jet] again, and I’d never again play the Forum. Then all of a sudden, I’m like, ‘What the ****? How did this happen?’ ”

The afternoon after the emotional interview at his house, Campbell is at an enormous soundstage at Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City, California. This is where the tornado sequence for The Wizard of Oz was filmed in 1939; it’s also where the guitarist will be reporting for work over the next eight weeks of intense rehearsals with Fleetwood Mac. Campbell, dressed casually with an oversize scarf-tie that wouldn’t be out of place on a pirate ship, sits on a couch in the back while technicians scurry about and set up the full-size arena stage with instruments.

The rigorous schedule is a change from the Heartbreakers, who used to jam around for a week or two at most before a tour. Then again, there’s a lot of ground to cover: Campbell is learning 60 new songs more or less from scratch, as is Crowded House singer Neil Finn, who’s taking over most of Buckingham’s vocal parts. “Mick has this aptitude — he sniffs out these great people to come join us,” Christine McVie tells me. “I feel like I’ve known them for years, and I actually don’t know them very well.”

In fact, unlike Finn, who barely knew most of the members of Fleetwood Mac prior to his audition, Campbell has a long history with the Mac. He and Buckingham became friendly acquaintances in the 1980s, and Buckingham sang background vocals on the 1996 Heartbreakers classic “Walls (Circus).” “I had no part in him leaving,” Campbell says. “That’s between them.”

He mentions that they’ve been rehearsing a few songs that predate Buckingham and Nicks’ 1974 arrival in the band, including a version of 1969’s “Oh Well” with Campbell on lead vocals (Finn found it too bluesy). They’re also working up a rendition of Crowded House’s 1986 hit “Don’t Dream It’s Over” — and Petty’s “Free Fallin’,” over Campbell’s objections. “Stevie wanted to do that one,” he says. “I love that song, but I’ve just played it so much. I said to her, ‘Do we have to?’ She said, ‘The crowd will love it. It’ll be a moment.’ So I’m getting into it again.”

It’s only day four of the rehearsals, and Campbell is still adjusting to the idea of living out of a suitcase for the foreseeable future. In some ways, it’s a relief from the grieving process. But even as he prepares to walk onto the rehearsal stage with his new band, Tom Petty is deep in his thoughts. “It still seems unreal to me,” Campbell says. “I’m past the point where I’m living with grief every minute, but sometimes I’ll be driving and one of our songs come on and it’ll hit me.”

He mentions attending a recent ELO concert at the Forum, where songs from Full Moon Fever came over the preshow PA. “Hearing them in a big room like that just shut me down,” Campbell says, seemingly on the verge of tears again. “We wrote those songs together. We lived a dream together. You can’t just snap your fingers and get over something like that.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...eakers-730187/

Last edited by kak125; 10-01-2018 at 02:21 PM..
Old 10-01-2018, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
A real "moment" isn't planned. It sounds like Stevie is hoping to have a whole "We miss Tom Petty" segment in the middle of the show, which I fear will be prefaced by an extended speech about how upset she was by his death and how it affected her. No surprise of course but hearing Stevie describe it that way, like they're doing it to make the audience cry, makes it sound so manipulative and inauthentic.
And I wonder why the rest of the band has to put up with that when it was only her friend.
Oh, yeah, this is definitely her band now. Bet the rest can’t wait for it to be over.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
And I wonder why the rest of the band has to put up with that when it was only her friend.
I’m pretty sure Tom was friends with at least one other person in the band…

Quote:
Oh, yeah, this is definitely her band now. Bet the rest can’t wait for it to be over.
If she has any future aspirations to work with the Heartbreakers, she’d better not get too carried away.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-02-2018, 09:35 AM
Registered

Wonderful. Mike Campbell doesn't want to do "Free Fallin'," but the Goat Queen insisted, and so they're doing it. Does no one have the cojones to tell her "No!" to her face any more? And I love it when I read how Campbell "bristled" at the way Stevie is talking about Petty's demise. He had better evolve a thick skin or consume lots of illegal substances, because he is going to have to endure a LOT of that on this tour.

And what a surprise! The pre-BN song is Oh Well.

Last edited by NotonRodeo; 10-02-2018 at 11:27 AM..
Old 10-02-2018, 10:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/fleet...c-free-fallin/

Campbell also recalled how he was invited to join the band, saying Mick Fleetwood called him unexpectedly before the announcement of Buckingham’s departure had been made. “I’d met Mick once or twice, but never really got to know him,” he said. “But he goes to me, ‘I’ve been listening to your music a lot. Would you be interested in joining the band?’ I thought I’d never play big gigs again. I thought I’d never be on the G4 [private jet] again, and I’d never again play the Forum. Then all of a sudden, I’m like, ‘What the ****? How did this happen?’”
He clearly only has Stevie as his friend on the band. He's saying he only spoke to Mick once or twice in his life, but whatever.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
He clearly only has Stevie as his friend on the band. He's saying he only spoke to Mick once or twice in his life, but whatever.
If you believe that, stand on your head. Or, Stand On The Rock. Or just plain Stand Back.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotonRodeo View Post
Wonderful. Mike Campbell doesn't want to do "Free Fallin'," but the Goat Queen insisted, and so they're doing it. Does no one have the cojones to tell her "No!" to her face any more? And I love it when I read how Campbell "bristled" at the way Stevie is talking about Petty's demise. He had better evolve a thick skin or consume lots of illegal substances, because he is going to have to endure a LOT of that on this tour.

well said.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:

Goat Queen. That's a new one.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Goat Queen. That's a new one.
I honestly feel Stevie would take that as a compliment if she found out she was referred to as the goat queen, whether it was meant that way or not!

He Will Burn You Down
Old 10-03-2018, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

For real. Is Mike is such a good, longtime friend of Stevie’s then why doesn’t she have any consideration for his feelings? Just kidding, rhetorical question
Old 10-03-2018, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh my, first Stevie will make Tom Petty's death all about her, then the fans will get a "Free Fallin" duet with an unwilling MC and maybe, she'll dedicate the most emotional, sappy and overblown version of HAEWAFY to The Heartbreakers. I swear she will even have a new scawl for that.

Hilarious.

Elsewhere on stage, fans will see 4 little lights shining. That is the eyerolling of Christine and John.

Last edited by AncientQueen; 10-03-2018 at 04:03 PM..
Old 10-03-2018, 04:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
Oh my, first Stevie will make Tom Petty's death all about her, then the fans will get a "Free Fallin" duet with an unwilling MC and maybe, she'll dedicate the most emotional, sappy and overblown version of HAEWAFY to The Heartbreakers. I swear she will even have a new scawl for that.
You expected less from her?

Quote:
Elsewhere on stage, fans will see 4 little lights shining. That is the eyerolling of Christine and John.
That’s why they’re my favorites! That’s why I keep coming back.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-04-2018, 12:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kak125 View Post
Days after the tour ended, Petty suffered massive cardiac arrest at his Los Angeles home. The coroner’s report blamed an accidental drug overdose involving the deadly opioid fentanyl, plus painkillers and anxiety meds including OxyContin, Restoril, Xanax and Celexa. On the day he died, according to his family, his hip fracture became a full-on break, likely leading him to take the fatal drug cocktail as a form of self-medication.
This is heartbreaking, no pun intended. As someone who does not suffer from torturing chronic pain, I have trouble even imagining the kind of pain it would take to force one to self-medicate with all those drugs. Very tragic for Tom Petty and others who suffer from such physical pain. It reminds me of the story of the foxes who get a leg trapped in those serrated traps and gnaw their limb off.

Quote:
In time, he started to sketch out ideas for the first-ever national tour by his side band, the Dirty Knobs. It’s something he’d wanted to do for years, but Petty — concerned that this ragtag collection of Los Angeles session cats would somehow take away from the Heartbreakers — would never allow it.
I don't understand. Petty didn't want Campbell to do the Dirty Knobs as a side project?

Quote:
Fleetwood’s offer to make Campbell a full member of the storied Southern California band — not a hired hand — was both exciting and daunting. “I thought I’d never play big gigs again,” Campbell says. “I thought I’d never be on the G4 [private jet] again, and I’d never again play the Forum. Then all of a sudden, I’m like, ‘What the ****? How did this happen?’ ”
This is as I thought several months ago. Campbell has no interest in Fleetwood Mac's music. He's going to be facing quite a challenge, touring for a year and playing "Rhiannon" and "Don't Stop" and the other hummable but slightly vapid pop hits. Musically, it just ain't his thing at all. I'm not getting a vibe from Campbell that he wants to do this project for years to come.

Quote:
In fact, unlike Finn, who barely knew most of the members of Fleetwood Mac prior to his audition, Campbell has a long history with the Mac. He and Buckingham became friendly acquaintances in the 1980s, and Buckingham sang background vocals on the 1996 Heartbreakers classic “Walls (Circus).” “I had no part in him leaving,” Campbell says. “That’s between them.”
He wants no drama turned on him, understandably!

Quote:
They’re also working up a rendition of Crowded House’s 1986 hit “Don’t Dream It’s Over” — and Petty’s “Free Fallin’,” over Campbell’s objections. “Stevie wanted to do that one,” he says. “I love that song, but I’ve just played it so much. I said to her, ‘Do we have to?’ She said, ‘The crowd will love it. It’ll be a moment.’ So I’m getting into it again.”
Shame. Can Stevie sing that one the way she did in 1996? Remember how she cranked it up in her high-tenor register during the climax? She might need to dispense with it or bray her way through it, the way she did the closing lines of "Moonlight." But that's old age. There are a lot of Petty-Campbell songs I used to want her to try, but she doesn't have the upper register or the pliability any more to do most of them on my wish list, although she did a beautiful "Southern Accents" with some dude a few years ago. That would be a lovely tribute to Tom.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-04-2018, 02:19 PM
Senior Ledgie

Hello all---

When the split with Lindsey was announced, I couldn’t believe it. How could they do it? How could they destroy the chemistry of the band? I like Lindsey’s music and Christine’s music and, to a lesser degree, Stevie’s music (I think “Thrown Down” is one of the best songs on SAY YOU WILL, and I love the title track, too). But the point is that they all sound better when they’re together. I own all of Lindsey’s solo records, but I would pick him with FM over his solo work any day of the week, because those five people just work better together.

And if they couldn’t swallow their pride and just get along for 18 more months to do one last tour, then they should have called it quits.

Okay, now that I got that off my chest, I can say this---it’s done. Regardless of what I think or what any of us feel, they kicked Lindsey out, and they added Campbell and Finn. This is Fleetwood Mac now, and the reality is that most people at the shows probably have no idea the change was made.

I love Fleetwood Mac, and I love Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. They’re both among my all-time top 10 favorite acts. Crowded House is my favorite band ever. I’m saying all this to simply note that I’m pulling for this experiment to work.

I saw the clips from the Ellen show. Mick and John sounded great. Campbell was actually pretty good. It was hard to tell with Christine, and Neil sounded like he was stretching for the high notes a bit, but was otherwise okay. But Stevie sounded horrible.

Then I heard some clips from the festival show they did. The music sounded surprisingly good. But the vocals weren't great. And it hurt my heart to hear "Second Hand News." It hurt because, honestly, it didn't sound bad, and I thought it fit Neil pretty well.

But today, a friend of mine sent me a link to "Free Fallin'" from the Tulsa show and compared it with sharing crime scene photos. He's not exactly wrong about that.

I have withheld my views on this line-up change debacle, because I wanted to stay positive. I wanted to believe that these exceptionally-talented people would be re-energized by the change and find a way to make it work in amazing and surprising ways.

But this is just sad. Truly sad. Sad for a legendary band that is now tarnishing its legacy. Sad for Campbell and Finn, who are mighty artists themselves and will now be associated with FM’s fall. (For the record, I don’t blame Campbell or Finn at all. They’re just the guys who said “yes” to what probably sounded like a rare opportunity.)

And on a related note…

I’ve always been a FM purist. I never liked it when they did Stevie or Lindsey solo songs. Why would they do that when the band has such a deep and great catalog of songs? If you want to hear the solo stuff, go to the solo show. The band shows should be reserved for band songs.

If you’re doing Crowded House songs or Tom Petty songs, then you’re no longer Fleetwood Mac. You’re the Fleetwood Mac All-Star Revue. Change the name, Mick. It fits.

Okay, having said all that, I get it. They’re doing a little tribute to Tom. There’s a slideshow.

But she can't even get the words right. What kind of tribute is it when you get the words wrong? A sad one, really. It offends me as a Tom Petty fan, and it offends me as a Fleetwood Mac fan. And I’m sure she couldn’t care less, because they continue to make money off the band’s reputation.

I can't end on a negative note, so I will just close by saying that my final hope for this band is that they gain some level of comfort in a month or so, and that will lead to better chemistry. It could happen.

matt