Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:29 PM
Ledgie

Default Gift of Screws - random post

Since LB board is slow – just a random shout out for Gift of Screws album---put in on in car after a long time without hearing – What a great album – and I mean ‘album’ – a real set of songs that work together even though each one unique. The rockers really rock and the slower ones just have beautiful guitar and vocals. Lyrically, also, just fab.
These songs have just gotten better and better to my ear, and now that I know LB’s whole solo catalog, I find myself very jealous of those who are superfans of more prolific artists – I wish LB had 5 GOS’s!!! And I'm also jealous of those who went to see LB solo on the GOS tour - wish he would incorporate more of it into his shows!!

It’s funny bcz I originally had a couple of dislikes on the album – TPT and Treason. TPT I thought, although the guitar is impressive and pretty, I thought was almost too much like a technical finger exercise/drill. And the chorus was so jarring, when he first comes in with ‘..TIIIME…’ I thought was kind of unpleasant. I used to skip it. Now, and esp after seeing his tutorial on it, I just kinda focus on the guitar, and I find it cool.

And I originally didn’t care for Treason. Had never heard it until live on Small Machine tour. I thought it was ok-sounding, but did not like the 4-line rhyme on the chorus – freedom, reason, season, treason. I remember thinking, by the time he sang ‘..reason,’ I was like ‘no please don’t continue with the words (which of course had to be) season and treason. It seemed kind of obvious. I contrast it with how I feel about the song now, which is a 180. Now that I know the song, I think the lyrics are some of his best and most heartfelt, and he sings it with much emotion. I love it. It’s such a simple strummer (which I also like), but bcz of that allows his vocals to be really expressive.
Anyway, it’s too bad the ‘original’ GOS got broken up, but even so, GOS as it is, is pretty close to a perfect listen for me.

Loving On With The Show, but also looking forward to solo LB again!
Old 12-10-2014, 06:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniper View Post
now that I know LB’s whole solo catalog, I find myself very jealous of those who are superfans of more prolific artists – I wish LB had 5 GOS’s!!! And I'm also jealous of those who went to see LB solo on the GOS tour - wish he would incorporate more of it into his shows!!

Loving On With The Show, but also looking forward to solo LB again!
see and that's exactly what makes me so furious about that new FM album holdup!!!!!

because LB is finally (finally!!) in his highly prolific phase in the last 5-10 years, and yet we cannot hear any of that new music he made, and he's held up putting out any more solo projects by waiting for his bandmate who seems to be stuck in the rut of non-creativity, and is not interested in actually being an artist anymore but instead shoring up her legendary status.

he should just stop waiting. and let all that music flow, both solo and with the mac.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-10-2014, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lovely to read; thanks for that! Treason was actually one of my first favourites from GoS, though I'm still not fond of TPT, in all honesty. I prefer the sound of the production on this album to UTS, though I think the songwriting lyrically is about on par. From memory, I think Gift of Screws, Wait For You and Time Precious Time (and the chorus of Great Day, lol) were the tracks it took me longest to warm up to, but it's a remarkably consistent, interesting album. And yeah, would've been lovely to see some of it played live. Also, as much as I love when he covers songs (To Try For The Sun being my current favourite) or builds on others' songs (Stars Are Crazy is too beautiful) it's really, really nice having a full album of JUST Lindsey's words and music.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 12-10-2014, 08:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I freaking adore Time Precious Time. It's avant-garde, beautiful and intricate. TPT is a breath of fresh air, a work of art.

And I love GOS. I own it on vinyl, it's lovely! I wish he'd release his UTS on vinyl, so I could have his entire collection on wax. (Yup, I've got an OOTC record! Pardon my bragging, but I'm particularly proud of that jewel.)
Just a dream, just a dream.