Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:24 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default You said it, Ms Moose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
I think Mich Reynolds is quoted in the Celmins Biography on Peter Green saying, that the development of his mental problems was a slow development. I happened over some time. Taking acid didn't help the latent condition, but it was taking acid, being overworked and being a sensitive soul exposed to too much too soon over some time that made him ill.
The Hamburg myth is the easy explanation.

IMHO

Ms Moose
...or rather, Mich said it. It happened over time, and the 'held captive in Munich and spiked/drugged' is a myth. Peter was there of his own accord and volition, enjoyed himself and liked the people involved. Rainer Langhans and and Uschi Obermeyer were not so interested in FM or even PG, as they were in getting in contact with the Rolling Stones in order to have a Munich Woodstock/Altamont festival.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy spencer View Post
...or rather, Mich said it. It happened over time, and the 'held captive in Munich and spiked/drugged' is a myth. Peter was there of his own accord and volition, enjoyed himself and liked the people involved.
Jeremy are you saying that when John McVie mentions
how mad he was at the people responsible for Peter's spiked/
drugged
ordeal and would like to do something about it,
that he's wrong about the situation?
Old 03-07-2012, 02:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
...or rather, Mich said it. It happened over time, and the 'held captive in Munich and spiked/drugged' is a myth. Peter was there of his own accord and volition, enjoyed himself and liked the people involved. Rainer Langhans and and Uschi Obermeyer were not so interested in FM or even PG, as they were in getting in contact with the Rolling Stones in order to have a Munich Woodstock/Altamont festival.
THANK YOU! Jeremy Spencer has finally opened Mick Fleetwoods' "Pandora's Box".

You were quoted while filmed for the 2007 BBC PG doc, that you heard sounds from the basement in Munich that sounded "evil". Was it just a guitarist with a Wah pedal among Germans? I'd feel the same way.

I watched a movie based on Uschi Obermaier's life three years ago with German subtitles. The see you next Tuesday person never mentioned Peter Green. If you are a fan of Keith Richards, and the Stones...go to town!

Last edited by slipkid; 03-07-2012 at 02:52 AM..
Old 03-07-2012, 03:29 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default A matter of perspective...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
Jeremy are you saying that when John McVie mentions
how mad he was at the people responsible for Peter's spiked/
drugged
ordeal and would like to do something about it,
that he's wrong about the situation?
John knows and respects mine on the situation.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
John knows and respects mine on the situation.
I find it interesting that Jeremy believes that Peters personality changed over a period of time and Mick/John seem to believe that it was almost right away...

His personality changing is one thing but I believe his playing was spot on right thru End Of The Game.

Since none of us fans were there all we can do is guess.

As Jeremy titles his reply is truly is "A matter of perspective"
Old 03-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
THANK YOU! Jeremy Spencer has finally opened Mick Fleetwoods' "Pandora's Box".

You were quoted while filmed for the 2007 BBC PG doc, that you heard sounds from the basement in Munich that sounded "evil". Was it just a guitarist with a Wah pedal among Germans? I'd feel the same way.

I watched a movie based on Uschi Obermaier's life three years ago with German subtitles. The see you next Tuesday person never mentioned Peter Green. If you are a fan of Keith Richards, and the Stones...go to town!
While I obviously have no way of knowing what that music may have sounded like, considering that Uschi Obermaier is considered an early member of the German band Amon Düül, it would not be a stretch to imagine that the members of the High-Fish commune might have tried to emulate their music. Check Youtube clips of their early recordings and you could see where Peter Green in 1970 may well have been drawn to their style.

Here's an example of the original Amon Düül, before they split into "Amon Düül I" and "Amon Düül II":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApGMTYTKIKA

And here's some early Amon Düül II (generally more professional and structured music than the original Amon Düül):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJThEDJ5-Y8

Even as well-traveled as the band was by early 1970, the people and music at the High-Fish commune might well have been something new to them - perhaps exciting to Peter Green but somewhat strange and a bit frightening to the other band members.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Nothing new to the rest of us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
While I obviously have no way of knowing what that music may have sounded like, considering that Uschi Obermaier is considered an early member of the German band Amon Düül, it would not be a stretch to imagine that the members of the High-Fish commune might have tried to emulate their music. Check Youtube clips of their early recordings and you could see where Peter Green in 1970 may well have been drawn to their style.

Here's an example of the original Amon Düül, before they split into "Amon Düül I" and "Amon Düül II":

And here's some early Amon Düül II (generally more professional and structured music than the original Amon Düül):

Even as well-traveled as the band was by early 1970, the people and music at the High-Fish commune might well have been something new to them - perhaps exciting to Peter Green but somewhat strange and a bit frightening to the other band members.
We heard trance-inducing stuff like that played by amateurs all over the USA at that time, especially LA and SF, only done better. That was why the whole affair was so puzzling. But it's amazing what you can think is so great when recording on acid and deplore afterwards when you're straight. BTDT and I rest my case.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
We heard trance-inducing stuff like that played by amateurs all over the USA at that time, especially LA and SF, only done better. That was why the whole affair was so puzzling. But it's amazing what you can think is so great when recording on acid and deplore afterwards when you're straight. BTDT and I rest my case.
Thanks for the response, Jeremy - great to hear the input of someone who was actually there!
Old 03-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Jeremy AND Mich...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Olson View Post
I find it interesting that Jeremy believes that Peters personality changed over a period of time and Mick/John seem to believe that it was almost right away...

His personality changing is one thing but I believe his playing was spot on right thru End Of The Game.

... who became very close to him and tried to help him.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Peter Green jammed with the Allman Brothers at the New Orleans Warehouse early 11/70. The story goes that a curious man dressed in a floral shirt was dancing side-stage to the opening act; Procol Harum. Later that evening, the Allman Brothers played their first act, with an intermission. The second act began at midnight, and the "curious man dressed in a floral shirt" had a guitar on his shoulder. He joined the Allmans' to play "Mountain Jam" for the next three hours. By 3AM, Duane Allman called the show because Jaimoe, and Butch Trucks were wiped! That mystery guitar player was Peter Green.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post

It's called "Krautrock", another word for German progressive rock. Forty years later, Krautrock is so volitile it broke up a great 90's UK band; Supergrass in 2010. The best Krautrock band from the period was called Can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QLL2j8ZtxE

I can see why Peter Green loved this music. Think if 1969 King Crimson, and Peter Green's version of FM had a beautiful baby.

How do you think Peter Green wrote "The Green Manalishi" in 1969? He was aware of this music, at least five months before "Munich".

Last edited by slipkid; 03-08-2012 at 02:06 AM..
Old 03-08-2012, 09:28 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Peter Green jammed with the Allman Brothers at the New Orleans Warehouse early 11/70. The story goes that a curious man dressed in a floral shirt was dancing side-stage to the opening act; Procol Harum. Later that evening, the Allman Brothers played their first act, with an intermission. The second act began at midnight, and the "curious man dressed in a floral shirt" had a guitar on his shoulder. He joined the Allmans' to play "Mountain Jam" for the next three hours. By 3AM, Duane Allman called the show because Jaimoe, and Butch Trucks were wiped! That mystery guitar player was Peter Green.
Would love to hear this.... Does anybody know of the exact date of this show? I have some friends that are Allman - Heads who have lots of bootlegs of the Allmans from this period...
Old 03-09-2012, 02:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Would love to hear this.... Does anybody know of the exact date of this show? I have some friends that are Allman - Heads who have lots of bootlegs of the Allmans from this period...

Been there, and have done that! Nothing!
Old 03-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
hi alan, see sharksfan2000 post on ledge pg forum 1/30/2007. this has come up a lot over the years. more grail are studio jams of peter with the allmans that are supposed to be in the capricorn records archives. i think those are the same time period they are definitely after pete left fm.... zero

Last edited by mzero; 03-10-2012 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: typo in the date
Old 03-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default other holy grail material

Four hours of black magic woman jam at fillmore east in 1971
the tapes of the munich commune jam.. allegedly in the hands of jane samuels in california
the tom dowd recordings of Peter Green and Duane Allman in Georgia
Johnny Winter playing the instrumental Lead guitar for the studio recording of "The Green Manalishi"

any others?