The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-02-2003, 12:53 AM

Default Is Say You Will too flashy?

The comparisons between Say You Will and previous works will be inevitable when the album is released. While Mick, whose word at this point is worth about as much as Saddam's claims that he is cooperating with the inspectors, claims this album will be Tusk II, to me it sounds like it will be more like Mirage II, when the band gave in to commercial priorities. Mind you, a few songs on Mirage are real gems (Eyes of the World and Gypsy) but in general the album does not stand out the way the previous albums do.

From what I've heard so far -- Thrown Down and the snippets of Peacekeeper and Say You Will -- I fear there may be too much gloss on these songs. A Tusk approach to this record might have made more sense.

Then again, we haven't heard the final versions of most of the songs.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:03 AM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Is Say You Will too flashy?

Yeah Adam, Mick did say this was approached with much the same mentality of Tusk (or something along those lines).

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
From what I've heard so far -- Thrown Down and the snippets of Peacekeeper and Say You Will -- I fear there may be too much gloss on these songs. A Tusk approach to this record might have made more sense.
Keep in mind, if all you'd heard before Tusk was released was 'Sara', 'Over & Over' and 'Walk a Thin Line' - you'd be inclined to think it represented a very glossy little piece of production. It's a good point you make, but I've just assumed that there'll be plenty of space for Tuskiness (namely Lindsey's GOS stuff) beyond the flagship singles.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:12 PM
thewhitewingedd
Old 03-02-2003, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A good thing
Old 03-02-2003, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

a bad thing

somewhere deep in the middle of the night baby, i think about you!!! she says somewhere deep in the middle of the night my baby, i think about you!!!! she says i know what it sounds liiike! i know what it sounds liiiiiiiiiiike, i know what it sounds like, it sounds like youuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!
Old 03-02-2003, 04:49 PM
thewhitewingedd
Old 03-02-2003, 08:16 PM
Senior Ledgie

It's all a matter of whether you want to hear the "Fleetwood Mac" sound or if you'd rather hear them push the envelope and stretch themselves as artists. I'd rather them get edgier myself.
-Brian
Old 03-02-2003, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lightbulb Tusk...The Sequel!

Tusk RULES so if this is in that sort of vein, then YIPPEE!! PUSH THOSE DANG ENVELOPES!!! SHOVE EM!!!!!
Old 03-02-2003, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, to ME, I kind of hear an updated Tango in the Night 2. Tango I feel is more in between Tusk and Mirage...well, at least it's definitely not as glossy as Mirage. But all of Tango exuded a vertain mystical energy, and that's what I've gotten so far from Thrown Down and Peacekeeper.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

personally, i'm hoping that they'll morph into the acoustic lindsey sound. LB's OOTC has such a warm feeling.. but it still completely rocks.. I think John & Mick's playing and Stevie's harmonies could totally adapt to that "warmth." NOT that the old FM signature sound isn't warm.. but you know what I mean, I think. It just seems fresh and clean.. not like 70s Rock is back. ..Even though I do love me some 70s rock... So, anyway. I'm crossing my fingers for FM to take on the OOTC type sound.. NOT the Tusk, Tango or Mirage sound(s). Those records are already out.. I'm ready to see if they can push this record above and beyond where they've already been. I'm not talking legal envelopes.. I'm talking bubble-wrap-padded-manilla-ebay-item-transporters, here.

Also!!! I think i'm the only one here who likes Mirage better than Tango.. lol. And you know.. back on the Old Ledge (capitalize in rememberance), I was the only one who HATED Mirage. Hate with a capitol H, hot heaping hunks of it. And now, I even like Empire State. (Even though Oh Diane still makes me want to hurl sometimes.)

The jist of this post: new album, new sound pleeze.

Sarah
Old 03-02-2003, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Arrow We'll have to wait...

for Say You Will to come out to have the first complete and total impressions. The title track and the new arrangement for "Peacekeeper", though, sound very much 'poppy' than the sound I was expecting, even though I love the sound of them! "Thrown Down" (is that going to be on the album, after all?) is more like the sound of what I was expecting for the album to be. But then again I seem to be the only person who likes "Thrown Down" better than the other two songs, so I might be a little inclined to think that.

We'll just have to wait.

Song of the moment - Why
Old 03-02-2003, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: We'll have to wait...

Quote:
Originally posted by Cristian
But then again I seem to be the only person who likes "Thrown Down" better than the other two songs, so I might be a little inclined to think that.
No, you're not the only one who likes it better than the other two.
Old 03-02-2003, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

...Make that three!!... so far I prefer "Thrown Down" to the snippets we've heard of "SYW" & "Peacekeeper"....but am reserving my official opinion till I hear the complete versions.
Thrown Down has the newest sound. the other two sound more lightweight and poppy (they wouldn't be out of place on Mirage)...even though I think I'll like them, TD just sounds like the new, fresher more invigorated Fleetwood Mac I am looking forward to.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:48 AM

From the song selection, it looks like the band is going the pop route. If that is the case, it is disappointing. There were excellent rock songs in Lindsey's arsenal that are not being used. I'd be curious to see how much influence the label exerted on this album. Perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised when it comes out, but I don't have a lot of hope.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by thewhitewingedd
I don't know if TUSK II is a good thing or a bad thing....
That WOULD be the best thing since cookies and cream......but unfortunately as CarneVaca said, it's looking to be quite pop-ish.....oh well....