The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Temporary Hero: Tusk (re-imagined)

This doesn't sound terrible judging by these snippets. Indeed, it doesn't sound too bad at all. Liking Sara quite a lot.

http://www.musictimes.com/articles/6...usk-listen.htm

Music Times

STREAM Temporary Hero's Cover Album of Fleetwood Mac's 'TUSK'[LISTEN]
by Jon Niles Mar 7, 2016 11:16 AM EST

Covers are always hit or miss, especially when it comes to the acclaimed classic rock band Fleetwood Mac. Even when another rock band takes on the songs, it's usually a risky move, so what happens when an electronic artist takes on TUSK? Well, Portland musician Jonah Bell, aka Temporary Hero is preparing to release his 10-track album of re-imagined TUSK songs later this month, but we have the stream just below! Listen to Temporary Hero right here!

With a release date set for March 25, 2016, this ambitious album is sure to be polarizing, but this stream that we've provided below is something we're definitely excited to share with you.

As you may know, TUSK was, in itself, a controversial album for Fleetwood Mac, in that it resulted in the loss of listeners and a drop in concert attendance. Nowadays, it's considered a classic, but it definitely took some time for fans to fall in love with it. Knowing this, taking on an electronic cover album of it seems like a wild idea, right?

With a release date set for March 25, 2016, this ambitious album is sure to be polarizing, but this stream that we've provided below is something we're definitely excited to share with you.

While the compositions sound much different than the original album, TUSK is not absent in the electronic covers. Temporary Hero is paying homage to one of his favorite records, and that is apparent in the finished product.

This isn't the first time Temporary Hero has released a re-imagined cover album of one of his favorite musical acts. He did the same kind of tribute to Chet Baker and his songs. You'd like to hear those too? Yeah, we thought so. Here's his version of "My Funny Valentine" for your listening pleasure!
Old 03-07-2016, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

RTT News W: Temporary Hero's Tusk
MUSIC REVIEW: Temporary Hero's Tusk 3/7/2016 4:56 PM ET

http://www.rttnews.com/2622503/music...ro-s-tusk.aspx

Temporary Hero is gearing up to release its newest full-length effort, Tusk, which is a reimagining of select songs from the Fleetwood Mac 1979 classic album. A listener's reaction to the album will largely be influenced by their take on the original release. It might be difficult for hardcore Fleetwood Mac fans to get behind this electropop cover. But genre fans not familiar with the original might use this as an introduction to some songs that are among the favorites of the classic rock set.

The Portland, Maine artist's collection opens with the breathy "What Makes You Think You're The One," which was originally performed by Lindsey Buckingham in a version that was punchier and more upbeat. Temporary Hero goes for a more downtempo vibe with a constant chain pulley sound effect.

On "Storms," a Stevie Nicks cover, he fails to entirely emulate her silky vocals, but comes close putting his own gentle sounding spin on the track. Again the electronic sound throws off what made the original song magic, but separating this track from the original, it's a solid composition.

The cello-laden "Think About Me" incorporates a Balearic beat that sounds similar to the work of Chet Faker or The Neighbourhood. When comparing this to Fleetwood Mac's rendition, once again this version fails to deliver. The contrasting vocals of Christine McVie, Buckingham and Nicks give the original a punch that this version lacks.

All in all, this attempt to cover such an iconic album seems a little out of place for this artist due his futuristic pop music background. Some remixes albums can work for artists of opposing genres, but in this case it was too much of a reach.

Temporary Hero's Tusk drops on March 25.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmm, not my cup of tea at all, but these covers do bring up a question. Can you call it a cover if you totally change the melody? I mean, they aren't even the same chords. Just curious what people think.

Kevin
Old 03-23-2016, 12:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

On the Culture Front: Music from the Underground, Part Five

03/18/2016 12:43 pm ET | Huffington Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-...b_9499222.html

I love cross-genre explorations and their ability to make you rethink a song, an album and even artist’s entire output. When Miles Davis took on Cyndi Lauper’s “Time After Time” in the last few years of his life, he unearthed a deep melancholy that turned a hollow sound into one of haunting resonance. Doors keyboardist Ray Manzarek conversely brought out the whimsy of Carl Orff’s weighty battle cry in his synthesizer-infused eighties rendition of “Carmina Burana.” So I was excited when I heard that up-and-coming indie artist Temporary Hero was tackling Fleetwood Mac’s experimental album “Tusk” after interpreting Chet Baker. My excitement waned as I listened to the album though and heard the emotion draining from the songs. What Stevie Nicks expressed with effortless warmth is lost in Temporary Hero’s slick R&B inflected covers that substitute cool for substance. I don’t want to be too harsh because the idea is admirable but its execution falls flat. Whether it’s the flat croons of Jonah Bell or the toothless arrangements which do little more than occupy space, it’s difficult to listen to more than a track or two at a time without succumbing to fatigue.