The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-22-2005, 01:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
God doesn't hate anyone. He is up there shaking His head at all the hatred, hypocrisy and disgusting things going on.

Exactly, Jesus said that regarding the prostitute. The Pharisees (I think) were saying she needed to be stoned to death and Jesus came up to them and said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

They all walked away.

Wondergirl. Best.Christian.Ever.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 01-22-2005, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

He also wanted to erect a statue of Shepherd entering Hell but he couldn't get permission. I believe it is the same guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Well, it still happens today

I mean look at this:

Matthew Shepherd's funeral, Friday, October 16th, 1998, found a new controversy. Rev. Fred Phelps of the Wesboro Baptist Church (Topeka, Kansas) started organizing a protest over Shepherd's funeral. In his fax announcing this, he urged people to arrive with signs containing messages such as NO TEARS FOR QUEERS, FAG MATT IN HELL, and GOD HATES FAGS. Phelps also started a website with the domain name of www.godhatesfags.com A few protestors did show up at the funeral and caused a little scene, but other than that, things went pretty smoothly, according to those who attended.

http://www.geocities.com/corkymcg/crime/proj005.html

and Swaggart's statement that he would kill any man who looked at him in that way and tell God the guy died - which was met with glee mind you - certainly is dispositive of the current hate in America toward gay people

The whole thing makes me sick And what makes me even sicker than that is these people, esp, Swaggart, are adulterers and sinners themselves. Christ Himself said not to cast stones if I am not mistaken - yet they hypocriticaly demonize those who are different
Old 01-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
He also wanted to erect a statue of Shepherd entering Hell but he couldn't get permission. I believe it is the same guy.
That's insane. Just insane. I hadn't been to godhatesfags.com in awhile and I just went by the site. There was so much I wasn't aware of, becuase apparently God also hates Sweden and Canada. Oh, and God hates America, too! I bet that one would stump Bush. Seriously, all of that reads like a parody of itself. It's hardly any different from Landover Baptist, and that is a satirical site.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well you're brave to even go to the site, I won't even read it, it will just make me too mad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
That's insane. Just insane. I hadn't been to godhatesfags.com in awhile and I just went by the site. There was so much I wasn't aware of, becuase apparently God also hates Sweden and Canada. Oh, and God hates America, too! I bet that one would stump Bush. Seriously, all of that reads like a parody of itself. It's hardly any different from Landover Baptist, and that is a satirical site.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Haha!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber

Wondergirl. Best.Christian.Ever.
Not quite. Not even close. "People are people, so why should it be, you and I should get along so awfully..." Everyone is different...even if they believe in the same morals/values/issues.

I've struggled with various issues my whole life in terms of abortion, homosexuality, etc...things that I was taught as a kid, and now that I'm an adult, I can think for myself on how I feel about things. I went to various churches growing up and it got nuts. Jumping from one to another because my aunts and mom couldn't just stay their butts in one pew! LOL I found a church I really liked in 1996 and stayed there until around 2000. I stopped going for various reasons. I've read the Bible from cover to cover (even though I don't really recommend reading it that way...it's too confusing. LOL) and I have a relationship with God/Jesus. I pray and I trust He will guide me through this crazy life. I sin. I do stupid stuff, I have done some things I am extremely ashamed of, but God knows my heart.

Jesus is truly the ultimate hero because not only did He die for the world, He led by EXAMPLE. He treated everyone with love and respect, no matter what. I strive to do the same, but it's hard when people are so cruel and hateful. I believe that God knows that we are not Jesus, we can never be Perfection, but He knows our hearts. Jesus was the Best.Christian.Ever. Hee!

Last edited by wondergirl9847; 01-22-2005 at 02:05 PM..
Old 01-22-2005, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
Not quite. Not even close. "People are people, so why should it be, you and I should get along so awfully..." Everyone is different...even if they believe in the same morals/values/issues.

I've struggled with various issues my whole life in terms of abortion, homosexuality, etc...things that I was taught as a kid, and now that I'm an adult, I can think for myself on how I feel about things. I went to various churches growing up and it got nuts. Jumping from one to another because my aunts and mom couldn't just stay their butts in one pew! LOL I found a church I really liked in 1996 and stayed there until around 2000. I stopped going for various reasons. I've read the Bible from cover to cover (even though I don't really recommend reading it that way...it's too confusing. LOL) and I have a relationship with God/Jesus. I pray and I trust He will guide me through this crazy life. I sin. I do stupid stuff, I have done some things I am extremely ashamed of, but God knows my heart.

Jesus is truly the ultimate hero because not only did He die for the world, He led by EXAMPLE. He treated everyone with love and respect, no matter what. I strive to do the same, but it's hard when people are so cruel and hateful. I believe that God knows that we are not Jesus, we can never be Perfection, but He knows our hearts. Jesus was the Best.Christian.Ever. Hee!

Stand up and SHOUT OUT for Christy!!!!!!!!

As I have said many times, even if you do not believe Christ existed or was the Saviour of mankind, His life is nonetheless a pretty good guide for just about anyone

I also agree that reading the Bible on your own is a little difficult as it has deep, symbolic meanings that can be difficult to grasp without explanation. For example, more than one version of the Bible exists in today's world ( http://www.bible.com/bible_read.html ) and the Bible has been changed since the time of Genesis by, according to the believers of which I am one, the intervention of Ruah, which is BEAUTIFUL expression for God's spirit or breath. I find the site www.religioustolerance.org and a few others are essential for any serious Biblical study. That site and a few others present many different views and point out the differences in the different versions of the Bible out there. It also provides the original (when available) text and shows how it was changed, etc. From that site, you can take away what you want to believe - a thought terrifying to the religious extremist who say their version and interpretation of the Bible is the only one that will get you in the Pearly Gates.

Anyway - that is my $0.02
Old 01-22-2005, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

January 23, 2005
OP-ED COLUMNIST
A Bunch of Krabby Patties
By MAUREEN DOWD

should have known.

I can't believe I thought he was just an innocent little sponge wearing tight shorts.

What in the name of Davy Jones's locker would a sponge be doing holding hands with a starfish or donning purple and hot-pink flowered garb to redecorate the Krusty Krab if he weren't a perverted invertebrate?

Before this is over, we're going to find out that SpongeBob is the illicit spawn of the Tampa shock jock Bubba the Love Sponge. Who knew SpongeBob would become as fraught as the cover of "Abbey Road"?

It took Dr. James Dobson, the conservative Christian leader and gay marriage opponent, who claims the president's re-election was more a mandate for his ideas than George Bush's, to point out the insidious underside of the popular cartoon character SpongeBob SquarePants. It takes a sponge to brainwash a child.

Holy Abe! Dr. Dobson outed SpongeBob at a black-tie inaugural fete last week for members of Congress and political allies. He said that a "pro-homosexual video" - starring SpongeBob, Barney, Jimmy Neutron, Winnie the Pooh, Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy - was set to go to elementary schools to promote a "tolerance pledge," including tolerance for differences of "sexual identity."

Hoppin' clams, as they say in Bikini Bottom, the den of epicene iniquity where SpongeBob lives. Nothing good can come of tolerance.

Dan Martinsen, a spokesman for Nickelodeon, where SpongeBob beats the pants off the competition, was flummoxed: "It's a sponge, for crying out loud. He has no sexuality."

Dr. Dobson has done the country a service by reminding us to watch out for the dark side of lovable but malleable sponges. He inspired me to fish through the president's Inaugural Address with a more skeptical eye.

Mr. Bush's epic pledge to support democratic movements and institutions in every nation and to end "tyranny in our world" may seem wildly pie-in-the-sky, given that the Iraq vortex has drained our military.

Although his incendiary speech about "the untamed fire of freedom" has been widely interpreted as a code-red warning to both foes and friends, I wonder if the president knew he was literally promising to stamp out undemocratic governments across the globe, which would include some of our top allies. He probably thought it was a fancier way of repackaging the Iraq invasion, not as a failed search for W.M.D., but as a blow for freedom (a word used 27 times) and liberty (used 15 times).

I wonder if W. is surprised that people took it literally. The Bushes don't always understand that they're being held to their rhetoric in major speeches. (Read my warships.) For such a brass-knuckled vision, the president's delivery was curiously unemotional.

Some of the same advisers who filled Mr. Bush's brain with sugary visions of a quick and painless Iraq makeover did mean the speech to be literal; they are drawing up military options for the rest of the Middle East. Once again, the lovable and malleable president seems to be soaking up the martial mind-set of those around him, almost like ... a sponge.

SpongeBush SquarePants!

We can only hope that Dr. Dobson doesn't pick up on the resemblance. SpongeBob, as his song goes, "lives in a pineapple under the sea/absorbent and yellow and porous is he!" SpongeBush lives in a bubble in D.C./absorbent and shallow and porous is he!

SpongeBush ensnared the country in a whale of a mess in Iraq because he guilelessly absorbed the neocons' dire warnings about Saddam's weapons capabilities and their rosy assumptions about Ahmad Chalabi's leadership capabilities.

Dick Cheney is a gruff Mr. Krabs taskmaster to SpongeBush, but SpongeBush is crazy about him anyhow. W. trustingly let his vice president make the worst-case scenario about Iraq a first-case scenario.

Mr. Bush might have thought he was just blowing pretty bubbles full of lofty ideals about freedom and liberty in his speech, but Mr. Cheney and the neocons seem intent on filleting Iran and Syria. (Doesn't Richard Perle remind you of the snarky and pretentious next-door neighbor to SpongeBob, Squidward Tentacles?)

The vice president told Don Imus that Iran was "right at the top of the list" of trouble spots, and that Israel "might well decide to act first" with a military strike.

Even if he's a little light in the flippers, SpongeBob has brought children good, clean fun. SpongeBush has brought the world dark, endless fights.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/23/op...?oref=login&hp
Old 01-22-2005, 10:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Please note she calls the Shrub:

SpongeBush SquarePants!

Old 01-22-2005, 10:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
January 23, 2005
OP-ED COLUMNIST
A Bunch of Krabby Patties
By MAUREEN DOWD
I want to have babies with La Dowd. I love her.

And I want to marry her mostly so I can show her how to properly apply makeup.

Old 01-22-2005, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
I want to have babies with La Dowd. I love her.

And I want to marry her mostly so I can show her how to properly apply makeup.
I know - she favors Maureen O'Hara - but with that rouge - OY
Old 01-23-2005, 09:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

SpongeBush--I love it! Thanks for posting that, Jason.