Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-20-2005, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
...and the run to the middle is ongoing, I see.

She can run all she wants, but until she runs on a platform that represents her party and not the Republican party of thirty years ago, I won't cast a vote for her.
Well, she did campaign for Goldwater darling.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
Personally, I'd like to urge Barbara Boxer to run.

She's the real deal. Especially lately. What a spitfire, I love her.

Old 01-20-2005, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
I just saw her this week - and actually asked her a question lol - she's a tad icy...
Well, she has reason to distrust the press.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, she did campaign for Goldwater darling.
That's true.

I don't know, I like Hillary and all, but I'm so over the Clintons at this point. I'd die happy if I never see one of them again. They pay as much lip service as the Bush's and have run so far into the middle that it's frightening.

Old 01-20-2005, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, she has reason to distrust the press.
Even the crew at This Is Your News? She was a real ice princess towards them, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Old 01-20-2005, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merf
Because I am so terrified at the prospect of Jeb Bush running for president in 2008 and him actually WINNING.
Unless we can turn this thing around, that's in the bag.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, we might as well get it over with. I like Hilly and all but playing the middle ain't going to win.
Personally, I'd like to urge Barbara Boxer to run.
That would be a bloodbath, though I like her alot.

I think if we look at the last 24 years, we can see that it will take a plain spoken person to get elected. Kerry and Gore's problem was they simply did not appeal to the masses like Clinton, Reagan, and W did and do. Bush I was an anaomly in that he is not of the masses - but I think a good deal of his victory can from the lack of credible D opposition (can you say Dukakis in the tank ) and the overall, right or wrong, love of RR. So, the D's need a man with appeal to the common man even if it is a ruse like I think W's common man appeal is and Clinton's common man appeal was and still is - though clearly Clinton came from far humbler beginnings than W.

I think Edwards is and was a GREAT choice. His only hurdle is people tend not to like lawyers and his wife is sick.

Anyway - food for thought!!!

BTW - on edit I point out Jeb B. appeals to the common man (less so than W though) and America or at least half of it voted for W - so . . . . the D's have their work cut out for them.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Finally, wasn't his wife involved in something illegal - maybe bringing illegal items into the country? I cannot remember.
She forgot to declare about $200,000 in designer clothing and jewelry when she went through customs.
Hey, who can keep track?
Old 01-20-2005, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She forgot to declare about $200,000 in designer clothing and jewelry when she went through customs.
Hey, who can keep track?
That was it. I knew she did something. Oh well, what's a little felony (I think) when you married into pseudo royalty and will one day be its Queen
Old 01-20-2005, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Even the crew at This Is Your News? She was a real ice princess towards them, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
No, I think you're right. Which is exactly why she alienates so many people. She's the prototypical type A career woman that scares the **** out of straight white males. Most women can't embrace her success. They resent it and her.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Kerry and Gore's problem was they simply did not appeal to the masses like Clinton, Reagan, and W did and do.
Snap out of it! (imitating Cher here) Gore won. Remember?
Old 01-20-2005, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That would be a bloodbath, though I like her alot.

I think if we look at the last 24 years, we can see that it will take a plain spoken person to get elected. Kerry and Gore's problem was they simply did not appeal to the masses like Clinton, Reagan, and W did and do. Bush I was an anaomly in that he is not of the masses - but I think a good deal of his victory can from the lack of credible D opposition (can you say Dukakis in the tank ) and the overall, right or wrong, love of RR. So, the D's need a man with appeal to the common man even if it is a ruse like I think W's common man appeal is and Clinton's common man appeal was and still is - though clearly Clinton came from far humbler beginnings than W.

I think Edwards is and was a GREAT choice. His only hurdle is people tend not to like lawyers and his wife is sick.

Anyway - food for thought!!!

BTW - on edit I point out Jeb B. appeals to the common man (less so than W though) and America or at least half of it voted for W - so . . . . the D's have their work cut out for them.
Can I just get this straight?

Are the Democrats supposed to keep nominating middle-of-the-road candidates every four years, fail at getting said middle-of-the-road schmuck elected each time, go back into their little bag of tricks, pull out an even more conservative candidate, and then expect the liberals to support them because they're supposedly "Democrats"? Ugh.

These people are not Democrats, they're Bush-lite. If anything is killing the Democratic party, it's the leaders of that party. They're so out of touch with everything, elections are just exercises in focus groups and internal polling for them. They don't know how to choose candidates, they don't know how to run national campaigns, and if they keep going at the rate they currently are, they are going to be the minority party for many years to come. And that's if they're lucky. A few more nominees like Kerry or Edwards and the Democratic party as we know it will cease to exist. The liberals who keep that joke of a party afloat will jump ship without hesitation and only the fairweather Democrats will remain, of which they're are not many as evidenced by the past two elections. They screwed up royally and continue to do so each day. Pissing off the people who elected you to your current post by exercising your lack of spine with every vote is a no-win formula, and it's even more of a no-win formula when you try to pull the wool over everyone's eyes every fourth November.

This Democratic party is no better than the Republican party. Except the Republican party knows how to get **** done.

Old 01-20-2005, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No, I think you're right. Which is exactly why she alienates so many people. She's the prototypical type A career woman that scares the **** out of straight white males. Most women can't embrace her success. They resent it and her.
Agreed. That's exactly why so many people hated Teresa with a passion.

Old 01-20-2005, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
I tend to get confused when I see thread titles like that, but this time I figured it was about her and not me.

Anyway, that article is discouraging.
I think OUR Hillary should run. The GateandGarden Party!

Watching the drama of the Ledge since 2001.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Snap out of it! (imitating Cher here) Gore won. Remember?
Well he did and he did not. Yes, he got the popular vote. Yes, that study indicates he also won Florida. But, people were still loathe to vote for him as he seemed elitist. I mean given Bush's inability to speak and the coattails of the Clinton economy - Gore should have been a shoe in even considering the Clinton lies and sex scandals (plural there ) - but you are correct Gore got the popular vote and by most accounts won Florida - thus I was wrong on that and readily admit it

But, my point is still valid that America loves a plain spoken person who appears common