Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-23-2005, 04:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Why women can't read maps

Hmmmmm.....

http://www.ntlworld.com/partners/itn/britain/125759.php

Women find it difficult to read maps and park cars because of their experience in the womb, it has been claimed.

They are generally exposed to less of the male hormone testosterone before birth than men.

This reduces their spatial ability in later life, say scientists. It also leaves a tell-tale imprint on their hands. Low prenatal testosterone has genetic effects which cause the wedding ring finger to grow significantly shorter than the index finger.

People whose ring and index fingers are close to the same length make better navigators, according to the research.

Spatial skill is the ability to assess and orientate shapes and spaces.

Map reading and parking cars are two spatial skills often cited as deficient in women.

A team led by Petra Kempel, from the University of Giessen in Germany, tested the spatial, verbal and numerical skills of 40 mostly student volunteers of both sexes.

She also measured the 2D:4D ratio of the second and fourth fingers of the participants.

The ratio was significantly lower in males than in females, whose fingers were generally more the same length.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Plus they are boring-and do not take into account Road Construction-
Here in the Northeastern United States-(New England)
Roads are ALWAYS under construction and detours are everywhere!!

just a thought`

~~eclipse~~
ps... I am one of those gifted women that CAN read a map- but I would rather read a book...My husband on the other hand...

For never have I been a blue calm sea...I have always been a storm, always been a storm... sln
~~eclipse~~
Old 01-23-2005, 10:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Cheerio!
I LOVE and actually collect maps. Have always had a love of geography,atlases,compasses,the stars, etc.
When I was 17 when I "learned" how to drive I got parallel parking on my first try and still
find it a snap!
My middle and ring fingers ARE close in length....
Go figure...I'm a total girly girl. I love pink, etc...
However I do have a thyroid gland/hormone issue...Nothing too serious, but I did go from being a woman's size 6/8 up to a 10! I do take medication
(Synthroid) daily. I've always had a few stubborn hairs on my neck/chin that I have
to pluck. So who knows? Maybe I DO have a slightly elevated testosterone level?
Old 01-23-2005, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I can read maps! LOL! My hubby often seems to think he knows better than the map though... and he will never stop to ask for directions!

Pip
Old 01-23-2005, 01:21 PM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Ah, this again. When it was discovered that I can read maps (without having to turn them upside down) my friend went to check the length of my fingers, as one does. Apparently the fact that my ring fingers are longer than my index fingers is significant. I think it's got more to do with acquired stereotypes than actuality.
Both of my ring fingers are longer than my pointer fingers, as well, and I cannot parallel park to save my life. That has more to do with living in a city where there are virtually no parallel parking spaces outside of downtown than any sort of biological abnormality.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

God, I can only read maps. I have the worst sense of natural direction, ever.
Or, as my mom puts it "aww, you have your dad's cute little sense of direction. You could both get lost going around the block..."
so, thank goodness for maps!!!!

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 01-23-2005, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
God, I can only read maps. I have the worst sense of natural direction, ever.
Or, as my mom puts it "aww, you have your dad's cute little sense of direction. You could both get lost going around the block..."
so, thank goodness for maps!!!!
Same here, Amber. I can get lost going somewhere even if I've gone a couple of times. :shock: Also I can read maps and have scored high on spatial tests so what a bunch of bunk that story is. JK, I do believe that generally men have more spatial ability but that doesn't mean that individuals fit that stereotype.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

hey i can read maps very well! AND i can parallel park like a champ... you should see the little spots i can get my SUV into on the first try. and my index fingers and ring fingers are almost exactly the same length, but it appears my ring fingers are a tiny bit longer. that's so weird... who would have thought to associate those things with finger length?
Old 01-23-2005, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can also read maps and park very well I, too, pride myself on my parallel parking skills - I've never had a problem with it
Old 01-24-2005, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
I can also read maps and park very well I, too, pride myself on my parallel parking skills - I've never had a problem with it
Oh yeah, I can do this too. My ex watched me put my little car in a spot only a couple of inches longer than it and said "I will never make fun of a female driver again."
Old 01-24-2005, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

what a disappointing thread, by the title i thought it's gonna be a funny chauvinistic joke. goddamnit pip!

somewhere deep in the middle of the night baby, i think about you!!! she says somewhere deep in the middle of the night my baby, i think about you!!!! she says i know what it sounds liiike! i know what it sounds liiiiiiiiiiike, i know what it sounds like, it sounds like youuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!

Last edited by tommer; 01-24-2005 at 03:13 PM..
Old 01-26-2005, 12:04 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Rhiannon
Low prenatal testosterone has genetic effects which cause the wedding ring finger to grow significantly shorter than the index finger.

People whose ring and index fingers are close to the same length make better navigators, according to the research.
EH!!! at first I thought my fingers were normal, and then it looked like the ring and index were the same exact size. But now that I look at it, my ring finger is a lot bigger than my index! AM I A FREAK!?!?!? I'm spazzing.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I can read a map, and have a great sense of direction! I can parallel park, but never have a need of doing so.