Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default review

https://www.al.com/life/2018/11/is-l...rt_river_index

ALABAMA LIFE & CULTURE

Is Lindsey Buckingham’s solo show a declaration of independence from Fleetwood Mac?

Updated 6:12 PM; Posted 6:00 PM
27 Photo Gallery: Lindsey Buckingham Concert at the Lyric Theatre

By Mary Colurso | mcolurso@al.com mcolurso@al.com

Lindsey Buckingham has always been an intriguing artist, an exacting craftsman, a compelling performer … and a guy who likes to be in charge of his destiny.

Plays well with others? Sure, but not always. The history of his most famous band, Fleetwood Mac, is fraught with tensions — both personal and professional — that have been a creative spur for some enduring, and truly wonderful, pop-rock music.

Buckingham comes with baggage, in other words.

It’s interesting baggage, and it doesn’t prevent him from excelling on stage. But longtime fans have to wonder how Buckingham is feeling these days, after his ouster from Fleetwood Mac earlier this year and his exclusion from the band’s 2018-2019 tour. (It comes to Birmingham on Feb. 13.)

We know that Buckingham is suing Fleetwood Mac for breach of fiduciary duty, breach of oral contract and more. (An October story by Rolling Stone includes a copy of the legal complaint.) But is he hurt? Angry? Frustrated? Determinedly pushing past the rift to focus on his future?

About 750 people in Birmingham have an inkling, after seeing Buckingham perform with his solo band on Monday at the Lyric Theatre. The singer-guitarist, 69, was large and in charge at this sold-out show, delivering nearly two hours of music with passion and intensity.

Buckingham’s 9 p.m. setlist, 21 songs full, reached into the past, pulled from his hit list and offered listeners a mini-retrospective of his solo career. His work with Fleetwood Mac was part of the mix — ticketholders likely would rebel if Buckingham ignored that — but the primary emphasis was on his very own catalog.

Buckingham’s selections included “Trouble” (a standout on his first solo album, 1981’s “Law and Order”), “Go Insane” (the title track from his 1984 record and a top 40 single) and “Holiday Road” (featured in the 1983 movie “National Lampoon’s Vacation”). The artist also chose lesser-known but equally effective tunes such as “I Must Go,” “Doing What I Can,” “Don’t Look Down,” “Turn it On,” “Down on Rodeo” and “Treason.”

His skills as a guitarist were abundantly on display, via percussive picking and sinewy solos, and Buckingham displayed a certain amount of stage swagger. He became playful during at least one of his interactions with the band — was that a modified duckwalk? — and Buckingham’s voice, although not consistently strong, rang out with clarity and conviction throughout much of the show.

Buckingham’s confidence in front of a crowd is a given. His outsize talent is, too, and it served him well here in 2012, during a one-man show at the Alys Stephens Center. On that occasion, Buckingham came off as stellar but rather severe, keeping himself at a distance from the crowd. This time, though, he seemed to have something to prove: Buckingham tried harder, played longer, talked more, smiled often and made a concerted effort to show his appreciation for the audience.

Although you’d never call him emotionally vulnerable, Buckingham let his reserve melt and he opened up a bit, telling listeners that he was beginning a new chapter with this four-man band. He said it several times, in fact, mentioning an album that’s in the works as part of his “new start."

In this context, some of the songs on Buckingham’s agenda — “Shut Us Down,” “Go Your Own Way,” “Never Going Back Again” — could be interpreted as mission statements, declaring his final independence from Fleetwood Mac and his resolution to thrive on his own.

“I love all of you for being here,” Buckingham said. And it was easy to believe that he meant it.

The affection went both ways, of course. Birmingham’s love affair with Buckingham dates back to 1975, when he and Stevie Nicks performed at Municipal Auditorium (now called Boutwell Auditorium) to promote their self-titled debut album, “Buckingham Nicks.”

Thanks to airplay on a local radio station, the record was wholeheartedly embraced here, and Birmingham was one of a few cities where fans turned out in force for the duo. Buckingham and Nicks, who were shortly to join Fleetwood Mac, have said the Birmingham concert provided their first taste of stardom.

45 years later Buckingham Nicks album still casts spell

Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham's pre-Fleetwood Mac LP was a flop, but duo found unlikely stardom in Alabama.

Buckingham made sure to acknowledge that connection during Monday’s appearance, reminiscing about the Buckingham Nicks show and paying gracious tribute to those long-ago ticketholders.

“There are people here who saw Stevie and me back then,” Buckingham said. “And it’s great. It’s so circular.”

At this point in his career, Buckingham certainly has no need to court an audience, but it was gratifying — and kind of refreshing — to see him do so at the Lyric. In a way, Buckingham was asking listeners to stick with him, Fleetwood Mac or no Fleetwood Mac.

With a standing ovation, shouts and cheers, Birmingham fans responded with a resounding yes.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-13-2018, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

The only moments I wasn't really into: I've never enjoyed the repetitive "I Must Go" and the live version doesn't enchant me any more than the original. Also, the "silence of stone" bridge of "Surrender the Rain" was quite obviously not him actually singing. He needs to either drop it down an octave so he can sing it himself or make that recording sound more natural. It was jarring and took me out of the moment of a lovely song. Otherwise, I was happy as can be with the show.
I noticed the same thing, and was even wondering if it was not just a piped in track that he was lip syncing to, but perhaps a vocal pedal, tweaking his voice in real time. As a vocalist in a band myself, I've got a few effects pedals with gender settings, basically just slow-mo'ing or chipmunking your voice at extremes, with everything in between possible, and they can be applied very easily live.

Last edited by The Chain; 11-13-2018 at 10:40 PM..
Old 11-13-2018, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
Wow, so much class. And he’s really demonstrated classy behavior throughout this situation. That’s the part that hurts the most about this situation. The history between these two people.
My curiosity is burning though, I wonder if it made its way back to her?
I'm sure it did. And I don't think he will get a response for some time. Maybe San Jose does to her what Birmingham did to him.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chain View Post
I noticed the same thing, and was even wondering if it was not just a piped in track that he was lip syncing to, but perhaps a vocal pedal, tweaking his voice in real time. As a vocalist in a band myself, I've got a few effects pedals with gender settings, basically just slow-mo'ing or chipmunking your voice at extremes, with everything in between possible, and they can be applied very easily live.
I suppose it could have been, but it didn't sound "chipmunked," just a bit "off." My money is on lip syncing. Regardless, IMHO, it didn't work. It's a shame, because I love that song.

Last edited by sodascouts; 11-14-2018 at 04:12 PM..
Old 11-14-2018, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

A couple more videos:

Old 11-14-2018, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I suppose it could have been, but it didn't sound "chipmunked," just a bit "off." My money is on lip syncing. Regardless, IMHO, it didn't work. It's a shame, because I love that song.
Yeah, you don't have to go full chipmunk on such pedals lol, you can shift your voice's pitch slightly in either direction, to make it a little deeper or higher.. but you're probably right, Linds prob wouldn't go to that trouble if he could just pipe it in.. if he is, kind of a low point for him in his karaoke backing-track era
Old 11-14-2018, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
I'm sure it did. And I don't think he will get a response for some time. Maybe San Jose does to her what Birmingham did to him.
The response will come in the ad libs at the end of Gold Dust Woman, maybe even tonight. [IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by gldstwmn; 11-14-2018 at 04:55 PM..
Old 11-14-2018, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I found the version with her lyrics in another thread - more was changed than I'd remembered:

Oh you and I sure do dream
You and I surely see
But open arms one sweet night
I hold that we will touch in time

After all these crazy years
I can't even see you clear
I know that I was bending some truth
Defensive me, missing you

Oh, I won't shut us down
No, I'll be around
As long as I can
As long as I can

After all these growing years
I recall all my fears
We built a wall between us two
But I still love the thought of you

I won't shut us down
No, I'll be around
As long as I can
As long as I can

Oh, I won't shut us down
No, I'll be around
As long as I can
As long as I can
These lyrics from the original are so poignantly accurate for the LB/SN dynamic... I'm guessing the overall message of the original song resonated with him
Old 11-14-2018, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
The response will come in the ad libs at the end of Gold Dust Woman, maybe even tonight. [IMG][/IMG]
That's funny, he's certainly saved/fixed one or two of her lackluster songs in the past... As for taking someone down, the person who's recently had a hand in that is Stevie herself. And that someone was Lindsey. Nice try, though.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chain View Post
That's funny, he's certainly saved/fixed one or two of her lackluster songs in the past... As for taking someone down, the person who's recently had a hand in that is Stevie herself. And that someone was Lindsey. Nice try, though.
Oh, but she’s ALWAYS the victim. Don’t you ever forget that.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

here is a video of 99.9% of the Shut Us Down dedication (yay!) -

https://www.facebook.com/esknight/vi...7871813059863/

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-15-2018, 07:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I always thought these Stevie lines were the most telling of all to the lack of communication since 2000 between the two.

"She rarely goes out
She spends every day
Waiting for the day
When everybody finds out
Don't you know, don't you know
You can't love him
You can't have him
I do have him, most of the time
Anywhere we can
Anytime we can
Get away, get away"
Old 11-15-2018, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

God, this makes me cry. What could this man possibly have done to have gotten fired.

I've always been a huge Stevie fan, but this year, I have become a bigger Lindsey fan. This has always been one of my favorite songs and the whole album is also one of my favs.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 11-15-2018, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
God, this makes me cry. What could this man possibly have done to have gotten fired.
It breaks my heart when I think of all the history between them that has been torn asunder! It's an absolute tragedy.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4136 View Post
I always thought these Stevie lines were the most telling of all to the lack of communication since 2000 between the two.

"She rarely goes out
She spends every day
Waiting for the day
When everybody finds out
Don't you know, don't you know
You can't love him
You can't have him
I do have him, most of the time
Anywhere we can
Anytime we can
Get away, get away"

that song is about a secret affair she had with someone (sounds like one of her married/taken men)