Addicted Ledgie

Default Chris Isaak article mentions Stevie AND Christine

http://www.lvrj.com/neon/39546547.html
Old 02-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

DOUG ELFMAN: Good Days

Chris Isaak staying busy touring, acting, working on new album, TV show

Las Vegas Review-Journal Feb 13, 2009

Chris Isaak tours the road so often (about 80 percent of the time), that when he went to sleep in his own house in San Francisco recently, he woke up and dialed "0" thinking he would get room service.

"I picked up the phone and said, 'Can I get scrambled eggs, bacon and dry toast?' " Isaak tells me. The woman on the other end of the phone said, "Sir ... this is the operator."

Isaak said, " 'Put me through' ... and I was about to say 'the kitchen.' And my eyes, by that time, are open. And I just started laughing."

Isaak is on the road right this second. He sings at The Orleans today, Saturday and Sunday. But he's also working on a new album, "Mr. Lucky." He has been acting for upcoming films. And he's got a new TV show, "The Chris Isaak Hour," where he interviews other musicians, starting Feb. 26 on the Bio Channel.

Isaak is so busy, he has compiled a lot of newsworthy information for your reading pleasure today. (He told me about his warning the late actor Brad Renfro that he was on a druggie death march; check out my last Tuesday column for that story.)

For Isaak's TV show, one of his interviews is with Cat Stevens/Yusuf Islam, the often-assumed recluse star of the 1970s ("Wild World," "Peace Train," "Moon Shadow," "Morning Has Broken").

Stevens was vilified years ago after he was misquoted regarding a fatwa against "The Satanic Verses" author Salman Rushdie. Isaak puts to rest the assumption Stevens "isn't doing interviews."

"His people knew I was a big fan. Not only did he come on" for a TV interview, "he let me sing with him. And I even got him to sing one of his old songs, 'I Love My Dog.' "

There are a lot of misconceptions about Cat Stevens, Isaak says, because people don't get to hear from him much.

"It wasn't like he was weird. There wasn't a vibe that he wouldn't laugh or joke. He laughs and jokes. He's got a sense of humor."

Isaak says he's trying to delve into interviews deeper than you see on other talk shows. Usually, musicians go on a talk show, tell short stories you may have already heard, then say goodnight.

He thinks viewers will come away with different views of musicians. For instance, some people think Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins is strange or eclectic. But Isaak found him to just be "a smart guy with logic. He's funny, and he's smart."

He interviewed Stevie Nicks. Isaak says Nicks normally gets marginalized in interviews by being asked things like, "Hey Stevie, are you really playing the Fun Festival? Do you really never 'stop thinking about tomorrow?' OK, we're out of time." But Isaak sat with Nicks for two-plus hours.

Isaak found out from Nicks' manager she visits hospitalized military vets. More than that, she has given them iPods. Isaak is impressed that unlike other celebrities, Nicks did all the legwork herself. She didn't get an assistant to do it. She didn't cut a deal with Apple.

"She got her credit card, went down to the store, and bought all the iPods. She took them home, laid them out on the kitchen table, filled them with music, and handed them to the guys. And none of this was in the press."

Well, until now.

Isaak already was familiar with the "genuine" musicians from Fleetwood Mac. When he first went to Paris years ago, he bumped into Fleetwood's Christine McVie. She asked how he liked Paris. He said he had been too busy to check it out. "She says, 'Get in the car.'

"I got in the backseat of a limo with Christine McVie. We drove all over Paris. And she'd roll down the window and say, 'That's the such-and-such cathedral.' And she just showed me all the sights."

A lot of famous people are nice, he says. But Isaak also enjoys being around mean celebrities, "because they're such jerks, sometimes it's hilarious!"

He tells me the story about a famous older actor who, every morning on the set of a movie, would have breakfast delivered to him: "And two minutes later, he just throws his plate out the door.

"I love it when a star turns out like that," simply for the fun factor of the story, he says. "I always liked stories about Frank Sinatra wrestling a waiter, or whatever."

Now and then, as a famous person, Isaak feels like doing something crazy, but he holds back.

"Me -- I always figured I'd end up in jail" if he did something nutso in public.

But Isaak also doesn't have a good reason to be upset enough to throw food out of his trailer. Even when he was a boxer before he was a musician, he never got in street fights, he says.

"I don't have that much anger. I didn't get raped as a child. Nobody burnt me with a cigarette. I'm not carrying around something that goes, 'I hate,' " he says. "When I get my brother on the phone, he says, 'What are you doing for fun today?'

"There are so many people that wake up, and they've got psychological dramas, and family problems and money problems," he says. "I wake up, and to me it's wonderful. It's a picnic.

"And I know it can change," he says. "My brother says, 'Everybody dies of something.' You know it's in the cards. You know someday, something's gonna getcha. But right now, I've had a long streak of good days."
Old 02-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie knows how to put music on iPods?

Fleetwood Mac - Glendale, Arizona - 5/24/09 ♥
Fleetwood Mac - Oberhausen, Germany - 10/12/09 ♥
Old 02-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGirl15 View Post
Stevie knows how to put music on iPods?
Either that or she knows how to ask her niece.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Either that or she knows how to ask her niece.
I have a feeling it was Karen the one sitting in the computer and Stevie behind her going "Ohh Ohh i like this song, Put this song, Oh My God, that other one too" lol
Old 02-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm sure she put on every version of Rhiannon known to mankind!
Old 02-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm wondering how much of the two hour Stevie Nicks/Chris Isaac interview we'll acutually get to hear. Anyone have any other news about this show (debuts Feb 26th on the Bio channel)?
Old 02-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
He interviewed Stevie Nicks. Isaak says Nicks normally gets marginalized in interviews by being asked things like, "Hey Stevie, are you really playing the Fun Festival? Do you really never 'stop thinking about tomorrow?' OK, we're out of time." But Isaak sat with Nicks for two-plus hours.

Isaak found out from Nicks' manager she visits hospitalized military vets. More than that, she has given them iPods. Isaak is impressed that unlike other celebrities, Nicks did all the legwork herself. She didn't get an assistant to do it. She didn't cut a deal with Apple.

"She got her credit card, went down to the store, and bought all the iPods. She took them home, laid them out on the kitchen table, filled them with music, and handed them to the guys. And none of this was in the press."
Well, until now.

1) You have got to be f*cking kidding me.
2) Bullsh*t
3) Yes it was
Old 02-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I was just...

on the Chris Isaak message board. Someone has posted pictures from the show tapings. There are pics of Trisha Yearwood, Michael Buble, Cat Stevens, Smashing Pumpkins...but no Stevie. HMMMM!
Old 10-27-2015, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Chris Isaak: ‘I don’t know much about pop after 1968’ October 27, 2015 1:52am

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ent...-1227584276748

Jonathon MoranChief Entertainment WriterThe Daily Telegraph

IT turns out the mentor is also the mentee in the case of Chris Isaak on The X Factor Australia.

The veteran crooner has been advised on the side by none other than Fleetwood Mac frontwoman Stevie Nicks.

“Most of the music I know, I listen to music up to like 1968 and I don’t know much about modern pop,” he explained ahead of tonight’s Radio X Factor show from 6pm on Nova.

“So I’d call Stevie Nicks, she knows modern pop really good. She would call me back with lists of songs.”

Isaak and Nicks share a manager in Sheryl Louis.

The 59-year-old took his contestants Cyrus Villanueva and Big T to Fleetwood Mac’s Sydney show at the weekend.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[excerpt from an interview with Chris] Billboard Magazine

By Melinda Newman | November 16, 2015 2:51 PM EST

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...ight-interview

How did your pal, Stevie Nicks, convince you to record in Nashville?

She had a record called 24 Karat Gold, and it sounded really good. I [asked], "Where did you do this?" "Nashville." I thought, "I don't want to fly to Nashville. It's expensive to fly there. They have microphones in my hometown. I'm cheap." She [said], "Oh, but there are really great studios and the prices are good." The first day -- because I am really cheap, I'm not just saying that -- they have the free breakfast at the hotel. I don't care if breakfast ends at 6 o'clock, I'll get up at 5. And I bump into Robert Plant and he invites me to have dinner with him. I was thrilled. We start talking. He's the smartest guy on music I've ever met. I had been worried about going to Nashville. I thought, "Am I going into someplace where they expect me to sing country or put a fiddle and banjo on things?" And I went, "What was I thinking? Robert Plant is recording here. Rock 'n' roll town. I'm safe. I'm okay."
Old 05-05-2016, 12:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[From an interview with Chris Isaak]

http://www.atlanticcityweekly.com/ch...621fb5329.html

Atlantic City Weekly By RYAN LOUGHLIN May 3, 2016 (0)

Q: I understand that a good portion of your new record “First Comes the Night” was recorded in Nashville. What made you decide to go there?

A: Stevie Nicks had been recording there and she’s a friend of mine. And I heard her record and it sounded great and she had been raving about how good the rooms were in Nashville. But I was like, “why would I go to Nashville? It’s a long ways and it’s more expensive” but she said, “No, it turned out not to be.”
Old 05-05-2016, 03:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love how Chris keeps emphasizing that he's cheap .........................

I guess Michele's post from 2015 was a foreshadowing of this ^^^^^^
Old 05-07-2016, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Washington Post, By Roger Catlin May 6, 2016

https://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...d7d_story.html

Q: What made you record most of your new album in Nashville?

A: I’m friends with Stevie Nicks, and she did an album called “24 Karat Gold” that I heard and I thought it really sounded great. She said, “Yeah, Nashville.” I thought, well, you’re Stevie Nicks, you’re a legend, you go wherever you want. But I thought that would be expensive. I should have known better. I’ve played Nashville and been there and had friends there. But I thought of Nashville as only country music. I started looking at the songs I had written and I was wondering, “Are they going to look at me and say this isn’t country enough for us to produce?”

Then I was in Nashville, and the first person I run into is Robert Plant at the free breakfast at the hotel. He’s really smart, really hilarious, knows a lot of music. We talked and talked, and I got in the elevator with a big smile on my face, thinking Robert Plant is a bigger star than I am, better singer, better looking, and he’s a legend. But we’re both recording in Nashville, so I figure I’m doing the right thing.