User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
How could you be in a Classic Rock Band for 40 years and not know Black Magic Woman is a Fleetwood Mac song? Especially someone like you who raves she is the first to hear and know every new song that comes out on the radio before the rest of her friend's do. And you bought all the FM albums when you first joined and played them back to front. Surely you would have heard it then and realized it WASN'T a Santana cover.
TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-19-2018, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think Stevie should be called the Queen of rock. Janis Joplin came first and set the pathway for all female rockers after. She should be the queen and Stevie the princess.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:03 PM
Ledgie

* "I Don't Want to Know" was a better choice for Rumours than "Silver Springs" (they probably could have done editing here and there to squeeze it onto vinyl but then it would have had too many slow songs).

* "Dreams" should have been dropped from her setlists years ago because it holds no melodic interest without the high notes.

* "Sisters of the Moon" was a poor choice for a single. Who thought that would be a hit?

* "Edge of Seventeen" is tediously long. But I'll listen to the whole thing.

* The Wild Heart is a better album (for me) than BellaDonna.

* "The Highwayman" and another song should have been cut from BD to make way for "Blue Lamp" and "Sleeping Angel."

* Her peak was from 1973 to 1983. There's not much I NEED to listen after that. But I still do sometimes.

* "Nightbird" was a good choice for the third single from WH. But there could have been a fourth.

* "Seven Wonders" is okay but sorta meh due to the coke voice.

* I can completely hear her on "Everywhere."

* The demo of "Ooh My Love" sounds pretty finished and would have been better on Tango than WISYA (she sounds rough on both).

* "No Questions Asked" is actually fairly decent.

* Besides "Juliet," I can't think of a single TOSOM song I would put on a playlist.

* In you think 1987-1994 has more than few redeeming moments, you are highly forgiving and possibly tone deaf.

* The soundtrack version of "Twisted" is clearly the best, and the song should have been left alone after that.

* "You May Be the One" is the best song on In Your Dreams.

* Her singing on much of The Vault is unlistenable. It was fine as background music on my desktop at work, but when I finally listened to songs like "The Dealer" at the gym with headphones, I was like "Holy jeez!"

* I don't blame her for not wanting to work with Lindsey B. ever again (I've seen Destiny Rules). But they just should have dissolved the band quietly.

Last edited by brad975; 10-19-2018 at 03:18 PM..
Old 10-19-2018, 06:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad975 View Post

* "The Highwayman" and another song should have been cut from BD to make way for "Blue Lamp" and "Sleeping Angel.".
Agree, I’d probably keep Highwayman but I would definitely axe Think About It and After The Glitter Fades for those two songs or Julia, The Dealer, IYWML, Christian, Sanctuary... She had so many good songs during that era that should have been on BD
Old 10-19-2018, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OK. There are a lot of really good replies here on this thread.

For me, I actually don't love most of Stevie's post-Mirage FM contributions.... But I do really love "The Second Time" from Behind the Mask for some strange reason.... If she recorded "The Third Time" with the current band, I would probably love that as well... LOL... Did it feel like it was, the third time with you....

Also, I know everyone has opinions about the set list with this 2018 tour with FM.... I wish she would do "For What It's Worth" probably my favorite song from In Your Dreams.... I never got to see that one performed live even though I saw her and Rod Stewart in 2012, it wasn't included in my show. Since Mike Campbell wrote the music, I was hoping it might appear in the set list this year, but that ship has sailed I'm afraid. At least there is youtube for some of the performances from 2011. I'll stop my whining here. LOL
Old 10-19-2018, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by singertobe View Post
I don't think Stevie should be called the Queen of rock. Janis Joplin came first and set the pathway for all female rockers after. She should be the queen and Stevie the princess.
Or the high priestess.... (she's the keeper of the peace in this).... LOL
Old 10-20-2018, 09:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad975 View Post
* "Seven Wonders" is okay but sorta meh due to the coke voice.
There's only actually 1 vocal take for Seven Wonders. The "early version" and the finished product on Tango are exactly the same recording, but the early version is just the band playing it - drums, bass, guitar, keyboards and a vocal. Then Lindsey and Richard applied all the layers and layers in the studio and sped up the vocal which is why it sounds higher than anything else recorded during that era and also why Stevie can't sing it live because it's naturally too high for her.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
On those few occasions when she sings higher than F4, she makes an offputting braying noise. I can't take it. I actually want her to avoid a higher note. The exception is an acoustic song.
Can you elaborate a little more on this. I have no technical knowledge of vocal notes. Maybe point me to some examples Within certain songs? I really wish I understood that stuff and I should being such a detail oriented fan of hers but I just can’t wrap my head around that. Kind of like Stevie herself I guess.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 10-20-2018, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Can you elaborate a little more on this. I have no technical knowledge of vocal notes. Maybe point me to some examples Within certain songs? I really wish I understood that stuff and I should being such a detail oriented fan of hers but I just can’t wrap my head around that. Kind of like Stevie herself I guess.
I actually love her high notes. I would actually venture to say that she was a mezzo soprano in her youth. Had she been in high school choir she probably would've been placed in 2nd soprano.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think she re recorded Twister (a perfectly great recording) as a FU to Lindsey. The original being far superior.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie nicks lost what melodic and lyric ability she did have around 1981-1982.
Her range in the 70's and the first few years of the 80's made her flaky lyrics palatable and some of her songs even charming.

Since then, her songs' lyrics have become ever more nonsensical, and, with her voice turning more and more into a gravely drone every subsequent year, her music became grating like a dentist drill instead of charming, no matter what producers and arrangers tried to do to salvage it. Even LB.

Brrr.
JMHOO.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:40 PM
Senior Ledgie

I don't get the love for The Wild Heart album...

1. Stand Back is a good song but I haven't listened to the album version in years since almost every live version is superior in every way.

2. I Will Run to You has good atmosphere but Stevie doesn't sound great here, doesn't harmonize well with Tom Petty, and it doesn't fit with the rest of the songs on the album.

3. I'm actually a fan of the wannabe-Heartbreaker/E Street thing Stevie was trying to do for a while (Gold & Braid, SDMHA, BL) but I can't jam with Enchanted. Her voice sounds so rough and uninvested, and the lyrics aren't engaging for me. I like the piano but it also doesn't fit with the rest of the album for me. I like some live cuts from around the turn of the millenium though!

4. I love the sentiment of Nightbird... and actually like some of the spacey lyrics.... but I don't think it's executed very well. The drums are lame and it sounds like someone is falling on a keyboard the whole time. Don't care for the vocals either, her voice sounds like it's about to shatter into a million pieces and not in an emotional way. Her vocal when performing the song on Solid Gold is better though! Horrible choice for a third single.

5. If Anyone Falls is a decent song with good lyrics (unfortunate that she didn't write it), a catchy chorus, and a fine vocal delivery but it's got the same problem as Nightbird with the keyboards. I think I may hate Sandy Stewarts playing

6. Gate and Garden has great music but cringey lyrics and I don't personally connect with it. I'm glad for the people that do, but it feels like filler. It reminds me of a much inferior Think About It from the previous album, which skirted that same line but came out on the right side where G&G did not.

7. Sable on Blonde is a bright spot on the album for me, even if I always forget about it. It's got a WONDERFUL mood to it, 80s keyboards done RIGHT, and good drumming. I can connect with her vocal a bit better here than on most of the albums songs, even if the lyrics are a bit thick. The vocal blend with the backing singers is absolutely luscious. The alternate version is good too!

8. I love a good Stevie ballad but man I do not get the deal with Beauty and the Beast. The music is pretty if unmemorable and, like many songs on the album, the lyrics are THICK to the point of being impenetrable and impenetrable. She is singing with definite emotion ("Where is my beast?"), but compare this to the similar Storms (very personal lyrics, slow pace, fragile vocals) and it can't stack up. It's okay background music but I can't actively listen to this one.

9. I like Nothing Ever Changes. Her rough vocals go well with a song where she sounds so pissed off and she really brings the anger. Keyboards are cheesy but they go with the heated vibe of the song so they work better for me here. The saxophone is also an odd but welcome addition. Surprised this wasn't the third single and never done live, seems like it'd be fun.

10. The Wild Heart is okay. Decent music, okay vocal, okay lyrics, meandering structure. I could take it or leave it. I'd like it better if Bella Donna and it's title song didn't exist (like a lot of this album). I actually enjoy the session take more by far.

I'd like the album better if I could cut I Will Run to You for Sorcerer and Gate & Garden for Violet & Blue (an amazing song that doesn't get its due credit). I'd also boot Sandy Steward from the studio after nabbing the lyrics to If Anyone Falls and have the music rewritten and played with a different keyboard by a different Keyboardist for both it and Nightbird. I'd also yell at Stevie to get invested in Enchanted and send back for another draft of a couple songs.

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)
Old 10-21-2018, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netter75 View Post
5. If Anyone Falls is a decent song with good lyrics (unfortunate that she didn't write it), a catchy chorus, and a fine vocal delivery but it's got the same problem as Nightbird with the keyboards. I think I may hate Sandy Stewarts playing

I'd also boot Sandy Steward from the studio after nabbing the lyrics to If Anyone Falls and have the music rewritten and played with a different keyboard by a different Keyboardist for both it and Nightbird.
IIRC If Anyone Falls is a true co-write with Sandy Stewart. Stevie's lyrics, music by Sandy.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If I never hear "Gypsy", "Rhiannon" and "Landslide" live again....I'd be okay. I don't think she's secure enough in herself to ever remove ALL of them.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:47 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
If I never hear "Gypsy", "Rhiannon" and "Landslide" live again....I'd be okay. I don't think she's secure enough in herself to ever remove ALL of them.
Except for the '87 Mac tour! Rhiannon and Gypsy were dropped after the first show or two and Landslide didn't appear at all... actually kind of amazing. Her only mainstays were Dreams and Gold Dust Woman.

Probably the most novel post-Rumours setlist, with her only doing one new song (Seven Wonders), two solo carryovers (Stand Back, HAEWAFY), and a co-lead on one oldie (Don't Let Me Down Again).

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)