Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
Via ABC News: July 8th, 2014

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Stevie Nicks is joining "The Voice" as an adviser to Adam Levine's team for the upcoming season.

Filming is currently underway on the show's seventh season. Nicks, the 66-year-old Fleetwood Mac singer, has been working with Levine and his 12 team members as they assign songs and rehearse with the contestants in preparation for the show's battle rounds.

Levine and Blake Shelton will be joined by Gwen Stefani and Pharrell Williams as coaches when the NBC show returns on Sept. 22.

The network says it will soon announce other advisers for this season.

Fleetwood Mac is set to embark on a 33-city tour starting Sept. 30 in Minneapolis, with Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, Mick Fleetwood, John McVie and his ex-wife Christine McVie.
How is she going to manage this?!
Old 07-10-2014, 03:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
This is not about selling records. Ask Lindsey Buckingham. In 10 years, Blake Shelton and Keith Urban's name will never be mentioned in the same class as Bob Dylan, Tom Petty or anyone else in that first group. From an artistic standpoint, Shelton and Urban are not even on the same playing field. But, we all have our valid opinions. Personally, I don't buy music or follow artists in regard to Top 40 appeal and marketable sound. The state of the industry today is in shambles. There's no credibility left in today's popular music and the artists are about as deep as a mud puddle. Careers are made based on reality singing contests and karaoke competitions. How sad. There was a time when major record labels found artists with substance and nurtured their careers. Sadly, this philosophy of making music started to disappear in the late 80's and is now non existent. Stevie herself said that the record business is dead. But, what the heck, queue of the karaoke tracks, folks, let's get some kids at the local mall and go make some music!
And there's really no other way to get famous besides competitions these days since record labels don't wanna get off their lazy butts and find talent themselves.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I watched The Voice in the UK for the first season and enjoyed it. I haven't watched it since as I got tired of the format. However, it is still very popular, and one of our music legends - Tom Jones, has been on it every season. I'm sure it's only been a good thing for his career. He has reached a whole new audience, and won the hearts of many new fans young and old, and he's 74. I know that some of these shows are quite tacky (I used to really hate them) but I can see their appeal, especially on long dark winter nights. I see absolutely nothing wrong or dismal about Stevie taking part. I'm glad that she doesn't see herself as above appearing on The Voice. I think she should just enjoy whatever she choses to do, and I'm sure many people on the show will enjoy her being there.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post
This is so fun! But she looks atrocious in that video...sorry! It's the glasses!

Have to disagree I think she looks amazing....

I love the photo where she 's laughing.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
And, seriously, she's going to offer advice to aspiring singers on a handful of episodes of a TV show. It's not like she's hocking a line of hair-care products or skin creams on QVC. I honestly don't see how she's damaging her credibility or her dignity with this.
When Stevie did one-off appearances on Dancing With The Stars, American Idol, The Voice, etc recently I groaned- but realized this is what celebs must do these days to promote themselves. I didn't like Stevie appearing on any of these shows, but I also knew it was smart business and it wouldn't hurt her status.

However, Stevie is joining the cast of a reality show this time- not just making a one-off appearance. That's what I'm not okay with. I think it could be mostly agreed around here that Steven Tyler resides in roughly the same echelon that Stevie does- lead singer of an iconic 1970s band. However, I definitely feel Steven has tainted the Aerosmith brand by becoming an American Idol judge. There's such a thing as too much exposure, especially if it starts eroding into your collective identity. Steven Tyler is no longer just an iconic rock star anymore- he's also a reality show host & judge. THAT cheapens his & his band's image. THAT'S why I'm not okay with Stevie doing this. She's supposed to be this mystical, elusive rock star... not a game show host.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
When Stevie did one-off appearances on Dancing With The Stars, American Idol, The Voice, etc recently I groaned- but realized this is what celebs must do these days to promote themselves. I didn't like Stevie appearing on any of these shows, but I also knew it was smart business and it wouldn't hurt her status.

However, Stevie is joining the cast of a reality show this time- not just making a one-off appearance. That's what I'm not okay with. I think it could be mostly agreed around here that Steven Tyler resides in roughly the same echelon that Stevie does- lead singer of an iconic 1970s band. However, I definitely feel Steven has tainted the Aerosmith brand by becoming an American Idol judge. There's such a thing as too much exposure, especially if it starts eroding into your collective identity. Steven Tyler is no longer just an iconic rock star anymore- he's also a reality show host & judge. THAT cheapens his & his band's image. THAT'S why I'm not okay with Stevie doing this. She's supposed to be this mystical, elusive rock star... not a game show host.
I agree with you about her status, but maybe she is not going to have enough free time to be a judge. She has other stuff to do.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up Advisor

Stevie will not be a judge on The Voice, just an advisor to contestants like Michael Buble, Cher, Miranda Lambert, etc. did during their turns on the show. They give advice and support to the contestants on the show for the various judges. The advisors aren't really even on the show that much.

I wish she was working with Gwen Stefani instead of Adam, but whatev.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Very well stated and I agree 100%. As I said previously, Stevie has spent her career running in the circles of very respected musicians and artists, NOT pop tarts and game show hosts. Going on "Dancing with the Stars" or "Ellen" and performing your new single to promote the record is one thing, joining the cast of judges and mentors is another. Performing on the Grammys with Taylor Swift, I think not! I think some half brained agent or publicist has talked her into this! Liz Rosenberg, damn you!

Old 07-10-2014, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I've been a fan since the mid 197os ..Stevie was never just a sweet little dreamer that only cared about art,..she was the most vocal critic in the band about most everything about the defiantly artsy Tusk album,....even though her songs on it turned out to be the artistic highlight of that album .
Stevie's ambition was to be a STAR. She's always made that her priority-- and Keith Olsen confirms that she was focused on being a star from the beginning. In an interview in the 70s she said she wanted to become a famous rock star, a "beloved character" in rock and roll history. Well, she did it. But you have to WANT it. And she did. Her doing these shows is her way of staying in people's consciousness and solidifying her image as a legend.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Stevie's ambition was to be a STAR. She's always made that her priority-- and Keith Olsen confirms that she was focused on being a star from the beginning. In an interview in the 70s she said she wanted to become a famous rock star, a "beloved character" in rock and roll history. Well, she did it. But you have to WANT it. And she did. Her doing these shows is her way of staying in people's consciousness and solidifying her image as a legend.
"I wanna be a STAR! I don't wanna be a cleaning lady!"
Old 07-11-2014, 03:44 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
I realize this is an incredibly smart publicity move for Stevie & Fleetwood Mac, but I still can't help but cringe at it. To me, shows like the Voice are just beneath the iconic stature of someone like Stevie. Plus, Stevie has always been the one touting how important it is to leave some mystery of aura around oneself. A one off appearance on American Idol is one thing... but to actually be a part of the cast of a show?
Agree. Besides, I remember Stevie saying she didn't watch these shows. They're just formulaic singing. Stevie assisting a pop tart? Stevie's too big for this silliness.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have somewhat mixed feelings about Stevie being on The Voice. But they aren't mixed too much. Regardless of my feelings on any of these shows - DWTS, AI, The Voice, AGT, Grammies, CMAs, etc, they get huge ratings as whole. They are truly on the edge of the coveted audience of advertisers.

Liz is very smart to get her on any and all of these shows. It is tough to say how much exposure she gets from them, but I bet catalogue sales spike for her every time she is out there. That equals money. And it also equals young people who may become US. It exposes her to tons of kids who will never hear her on the radio and some will become crazy groupies like we are who go to shows, buy her entire catalogue, etc. It is a genius strategy to keep her in the spotlight. It reawakens her older audience of fraus and old men who loved her back in the day. And it showcases her to all the emo kids, real musicians, bad ass girls and gay boys who are under 30 and love real music. Get real folks. Where the hell else are they going to hear her?

I think this is a pretty awesome move. At this point, Stevie's ICON status is bulletproof.
It cannot be diminished. It can only be burnished. Liz has seen to that. And in the arena of self interest, I work on pretty much all the above mentioned shows or my friends do. So I get to go to rehearsals and tape days and hang with her. So I say bring it on. This works for me.

All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Precisely. I don't mean this with any disrespect at all, but I'm sorry--moves like this are just cheesy and lame. I think a lot of people love Stevie because of purity of her choices in life and the fact that as soon as she became famous she didn't try to become a 'model/actress/producer/perfume and haircare and skincare hawker/Proactive spokesperson.' Your mileage may vary, but, for me, this is kind of embarrassing. And now I'm going to have to endure all of my acquaintances sending me clips from the show because they 'know I love Stevie!' Sigh. For the record, I loved Stevie's involvement on Glee and AHS, but this? I just find it distasteful.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviegirl View Post
I think a lot of people love Stevie because of purity of her choices in life and the fact that as soon as she became famous she didn't try to become a 'model/actress/producer/perfume and haircare and skincare hawker/Proactive spokesperson.'
And she's not doing any of those things now by appearing on The Voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviegirl View Post
For the record, I loved Stevie's involvement on Glee and AHS, but this? I just find it distasteful.
Her involvement with Glee wasn't that different. She went to the set to be a source of encouragement and inspritation, just as she will be doing with contestants on The Voice. And even though she was playing a (fictionalized) version of herself, the AHS gig was dabbling in acting, so I'm not sure why that is more palatable than being a mentor in a singing competition.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
And she's not doing any of those things now by appearing on The Voice.

Her involvement with Glee wasn't that different. She went to the set to be a source of encouragement and inspritation, just as she will be doing with contestants on The Voice. And even though she was playing a (fictionalized) version of herself, the AHS gig was dabbling in acting, so I'm not sure why that is more palatable than being a mentor in a singing competition.
Oh, I realize that. I was being a little facetious because I remember a time when Stevie said something like she could have gotten out there and become involved in a lot of different things like Madonna did, but she decided not to do that, and I always admired her for that--AND because it seems as if a lot of stars today have no problem with putting their name of just about anything to make a buck. I never thought of Stevie that way, and I thought it gave some of us idealists out here hope that it is possible to follow Polonius's advice of "to thine own self be true."

In the case of Glee, I see it as a lot different because these are actors who are doing Stevie's songs--AHS was exciting because some of it was designed around the mystical aura of Stevie Nicks. I find these singing competitions lame, so I hate to see someone I adore within 50 feet of them.

Again--my apologies to people who like these shows. I have things I watch on tv that a lot of people think are stupid--myself included-ha!

Last edited by Steviegirl; 07-11-2014 at 09:41 AM..