User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
"If You Were My Love" is one of the many, many highlights on 24KG. There are so many! I think because it's a mood song, slower paced (and unlike the "Mirage" era failed attempt) that some haven't given it a fair chance, or closer listen. Heck, even I overlooked it the first week or so because 16 tracks is alot to digest. But when it hit me, it slayed me! It's an art piece in silvery gray hues and glowing bitterweet tones. Stevie sings it masterfully. As she does on almost all of this entire record.
I've relistened to it many times and tried to like it. It just seems monotonous and boring, and the Mirage outtake seems a lot better.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabellee View Post
I love this album. This morning in Target, I took 4 of the 24KG CDs that were hidden in the back section and put them in front of the Taylor Swift CDs that were prominently displayed up front. Hopefully it will turn someone, even if its just one person, on to the new music. P.S. My kids were mortified!
"my kids were motified"....lol. I do this all the time when out at stores that carry cd's!
Old 11-11-2014, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Love this album
Old 11-11-2014, 09:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabruns View Post
I've relistened to it many times and tried to like it. It just seems monotonous and boring, and the Mirage outtake seems a lot better.
have to agree.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryderi View Post
I recently ordered the deluxe cd and was blown away at how much of a difference song sequencing can make. It's like night and day. If You Were My Love is perfect as the second song.
Twisted and Watch Devil are maybe my two favorite songs on the album, the ones I find myself listening to the most--definitely NOT the two songs I would choose as the "bonus" tracks. As first I was underwhelmed with Twisted because it didn't have that amazing strong vocal at the end, but then I realized it doesn't really need it-we have that version already, and she actually sounds better than she has in YEARS. And Watch Devil has that AMAZING chorus, its such a rocking song. Love it!

And yes IYWMY is a great second track, agree!
Old 11-13-2014, 10:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have listened to this 16-track album every day since release, sometimes twice or three times a day. I still play it as sequenced (no shuffle or custom playlist). I really enjoy it at 5AM with my coffee, surfing the web and getting my day started. I have a friend also playing along, who isn't a big Nicks fan, but has taken to the album. We're both completely obsessed with Mabel Normand. We're at the point where we text lyrics from Mabel. LOL.

Anyway, nice to have this little album with these gold nuggets. Sure, many of the songs do not go together as say a concept type album, but they work as a special collection, more like a greatest hits type album of demos.

I only have a problem with Hard Advice. I do not skip it, but it's the only track I really do not like. For the life of me, I still do not know what make the advice "hard". Don't go to music stores or buy paper dolls is some hard, serious advice? I think not.

The biggest surprise for me, was Blue Water. The original demo is cool, but does get boring in a repetitious way. However, this version kills. So good and I find it a tad sexy.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My order of preference for the songs on the deluxe version, from worst to best:

Watch Chain - junky song, junky production
The Dealer - mediocre song a crashing bore
Twisted - another crashing bore we already own two versions of
Carousel - let that girl keep it
Hard Advice - self absorbed lyrics set to a "who cares?" melody
I Don't Care - OK but just the obligatory derivative "Ghosts are Gone" rocker
Cathouse Blues - fun and different but one like this will be enough
Belle Fleur - great production lifts up a song more chanted than sung
Lady - lovely and raw except for the endless bellowed repetition
Starshine - toe tapping ear candy but thank god it doesn't drag on too long
She Loves Him Still - sad mournful and totally Stevie
All the Beautiful Worlds - gorgeous harmonies and production though I hate the "don't give that to her" lyric
24 Karat Gold - all the 30+ years of Stevie goodness jammed into one simple repetitive ditty!
Blue Water - always loved this and the album version is delicious - you can find a new harmony line with every listen!
Mabel Normand - addictive Stevie raging nonsense delivered with intensity against a wall of marvellous music
If You Were My Love - Beauty and the Beast and HAEWAFY and The Second Time and Love Is Stevie distilled to its essence
Old 11-21-2014, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 24 Karat Gold..

one month in..

for me.. it's really all about "If You Were My Love".. it's tenderness and yearning.. it's hurt and pain.. I think Stevie really captured the essence of what it means to be human in this song.. we all long for something.. and that longing usually is about someone.. another person. for me, it was the guy at the gym.. but now it's the bartender at the restaurant right around the corner.. ooh.. if he was my love..

too many glasses of Bordeaux, served by that bartender that I have a crush on...

"..if I were the one who watched over your sleeping... you would never have been frightened.. at all.." then that sad guitar chimes in..

I love how us Stevie fans are so different.. I know many don't like the 24karat take on this song and I respect that.. but, for me, Stevie did this song.. well, for me... I love it.. yep. I love it.. my life.. sung once again by my gypsy.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think this is a masterpiece. This collection was a very smart move and is truly appreciated and recorded for her closest fans. I still can't really pick my favorites quite yet because I have been pacing the rotation of this with my other music. I don't want to over play it so the newness lasts a while. ( not typical of me with the last 30 years of her releases)
Old 11-22-2014, 12:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
one month in..

for me.. it's really all about "If You Were My Love".. it's tenderness and yearning.. it's hurt and pain.. I think Stevie really captured the essence of what it means to be human in this song.. we all long for something.. and that longing usually is about someone.. another person. for me, it was the guy at the gym.. but now it's the bartender at the restaurant right around the corner.. ooh.. if he was my love..

too many glasses of Bordeaux, served by that bartender that I have a crush on...

"..if I were the one who watched over your sleeping... you would never have been frightened.. at all.." then that sad guitar chimes in..

I love how us Stevie fans are so different.. I know many don't like the 24karat take on this song and I respect that.. but, for me, Stevie did this song.. well, for me... I love it.. yep. I love it.. my life.. sung once again by my gypsy.

If You Were My Love is one of her best ballads ever and she has many great ballads. All the ballads on 24k are excellent. IYWML is mesmerizing!
Old 11-26-2014, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 24 KG 1 plus months in

Just like in your dreams 3 years ago, I had to force myself to listen to anything other them this cd. It's like a drug. I finally gave it a 2 week rest but now it's right back in my car. Really next to none of my opinions have changed in the last nearly 2 months. The order and amount I like the songs is the same. I still think watchdevil is well deserved to have been designated bonus track only status. Mable Normand is in my head nearly 24 7.

I'm literally in shock every time cathouse blues starts playing. Never in a thousand years did I think this song would be coming out of my car speakers. Nor do I think it ever should have really. I listen to it and enjoy it but just feel this song never had any business being released, if that makes sense. The only that will top this is if I ever hear something about a goldfish and a ladybug coming out of my car speakers

He Will Burn You Down
Old 11-26-2014, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Just like in your dreams 3 years ago, I had to force myself to listen to anything other them this cd. It's like a drug. I finally gave it a 2 week rest but now it's right back in my car. Really next to none of my opinions have changed in the last nearly 2 months. The order and amount I like the songs is the same. I still think watchdevil is well deserved to have been designated bonus track only status. Mable Normand is in my head nearly 24 7.

I'm literally in shock every time cathouse blues starts playing. Never in a thousand years did I think this song would be coming out of my car speakers. Nor do I think it ever should have really. I listen to it and enjoy it but just feel this song never had any business being released, if that makes sense. The only that will top this is if I ever hear something about a goldfish and a ladybug coming out of my car speakers
But that happens every time you play "Blue Water."
Old 11-27-2014, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I still love the album. It's a firm #3 on favorite Stevie albums list. With exception to Bella Donna and The Wild Heart, there are always songs that I can never get into. (Disclaimer: That doesn't mean I hate Stevie Nicks ) On 24 Karat Gold, I've accepted that there are 6 songs that I probably won't listen to ever again. So I've burned a new CD-R and packed away the official CD. This is what now plays for me:
  1. Starshine
  2. The Dealer
  3. Watch Chain
  4. Lady
  5. Belle Fleur
  6. 24 Karat Gold
  7. All the Beautiful Worlds
  8. Twisted
  9. Blue Water
  10. She Loves Him Still
Old 11-27-2014, 09:52 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
I still love the album. It's a firm #3 on favorite Stevie albums list. With exception to Bella Donna and The Wild Heart, there are always songs that I can never get into. (Disclaimer: That doesn't mean I hate Stevie Nicks ) On 24 Karat Gold, I've accepted that there are 6 songs that I probably won't listen to ever again. So I've burned a new CD-R and packed away the official CD. This is what now plays for me:
  1. Starshine
  2. The Dealer
  3. Watch Chain
  4. Lady
  5. Belle Fleur
  6. 24 Karat Gold
  7. All the Beautiful Worlds
  8. Twisted
  9. Blue Water
  10. She Loves Him Still
I like this list.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post

i really did NOT like this song on the first few listens
the MIRAGE version is everything to me

but over the past month+ ... i am obsessed with this song
idk what it is
it's like a depressing lullaby

it does NOT in any respect to me conjure up images of a princess and a knight
if anything, i think it feels kinda stalkerish
like a woman, watching over a man she can't have, whilst he doesn't know

and if she could have this man, she would treat him the best and be faithful to him and only him

i don't relate at all to this song on a personal level
but it just consumes me