Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:08 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowi View Post
I just got RAL, and I have been listening to it
Does anyone know what was going though Stevie's mind? The songs have good tunes - but it seems she pahsed out the 'GDW Meets Rhiannon' thing.

From the mellow Sister Honey to the heart wrenching Has Anyone Written Anything For You - I missed the Bella Donna-Gypsy woman

because she grew / changed / evolved as a person /artist / creative person .
Old 03-19-2017, 08:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowi View Post
I just got RAL, and I have been listening to it
Does anyone know what was going though Stevie's mind? The songs have good tunes - but it seems she pahsed out the 'GDW Meets Rhiannon' thing.

From the mellow Sister Honey to the heart wrenching Has Anyone Written Anything For You - I missed the Bella Donna-Gypsy woman
I read an interview a long time ago with Stevie, and she said Rock a Little was her attempt to lighten up her sound because she had been so depressed since her friend Robin died, and to be lighter than The Wild Heart. Looking at the songs she chose for the album, that explains a lot. If I Were You, Talk to Me, Has Anyone Ever, and Imperial Hotel all have Stevie offering advice or trying to make people feel better. I Can't Wait and Sister Honey are pure pop energy, while Some Become Strangers, I Sing For the Things, and Rock a Little are about as light and mellow as you can get.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I read an interview a long time ago with Stevie, and she said Rock a Little was her attempt to lighten up her sound because she had been so depressed since her friend Robin died, and to be lighter than The Wild Heart. Looking at the songs she chose for the album, that explains a lot. If I Were You, Talk to Me, Has Anyone Ever, and Imperial Hotel all have Stevie offering advice or trying to make people feel better. I Can't Wait and Sister Honey are pure pop energy, while Some Become Strangers, I Sing For the Things, and Rock a Little are about as light and mellow as you can get.
Not sure I would call Rock A Little light but it is mellow in its own way.....
Old 03-19-2017, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I LOVE the place Rock A Little has in her discography because it's a well-needed light album!

Actually, I just can't imagine her discography with ANY of her albums missing. They all have their own unique place and cover a different subject.

MAYBE I can imagine her without Wild Heart, because it's essentially Bella Donna Part 2, or without In Your Dreams, because I feel like it doesn't contain essential Stevie Nicks music. Of course, I love both these albums to death and they might be in my top 3 or 5, but you get my point...
Old 03-19-2017, 04:49 PM
Registered

i seldom listen to whole records everything is on shuffle on all my music players so i decided to give Rock a Little a spin i like all the songs , But not continuous I could not listen to it ,Buckingham Nicks still flows nice and so did the Legendary Christine Perfect Album , maybe I'll try while I'm driving tomorrow
Old 03-24-2017, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I just never could buy the fact Stevie is waiting around begging someone to talk to her so she can lift their spirits. I think the vocal is ok but the "you can's" are just too sappy for me. At least the live version she drops that part. I could compare Talk To Me to Everyday. Simple pop songs brought to an album for commercial thinking only. IMHO it was total sell out by Stevie Nicks. I know I will get flamed for saying that
I see your point, especially about the idea of Stevie begging someone to talk to her. I remember Stevie herself making similar comments about feeling that way with Reconsider Me. Something along the lines that she would never ask a man to 'reconsider' being with her (I'm paraphrasing, of course).

With Talk to Me, I never felt like she was begging someone, but rather she could see someone was upset about something or hiding a painful secret, and she was really just reassuring them that they could trust her. In that context, she's not a weak woman begging her man to work it out, but rather she's a strong woman saying no matter what they're hiding, she can help them. Small difference, maybe, but that's how I take it. May not make you like the song any better and that's cool. We all have our favorites, and some of my favorite Stevie songs I'm almost embarrassed to admit I like (Unconditional Love, for example), while other classics that everyone else seems to love, I could do without (Gold Dust Woman, ugh).

I listened to RAL in my car this week, and I loved it! It's incredible how much Marilyn Martin adds to the background vocals, and I love how Stevie's vocals and runs and inflections are on so many of the songs, but especially on Imperial Hotel, If I Were You, I Can't Wait, and Talk to Me.