Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-04-2002, 06:28 PM
Ledgie

Default What was the deal before......

yea my title is weird any ways i was wondering if FM had any hits before Lindsey and Stevie joined the band. cause I just downloaded a version of "Why" from the rumors tour and the audience seems to know it .I think that it was on MTM and all thats really mentioned in all band biographies is stuff like albatross and Green Manalishi...ect (the first era) and they kinda hurry through the 72-74 days and then get really detailed with the songs again when Stevie and Lindsey joined so i was wondering were their any hit or even remotley popular sinles during the Bob and Christene era? Yea i know this should be in pre-rumors board but no one really goes their and since ive basically fallen in love with this song i had to get a response.

Last edited by blackwidower; 06-04-2002 at 06:41 PM..
Old 06-04-2002, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Off the top of my head - I think "Sentimental Lady" was a semi-hit as well as "Hypnotized."

"Hearts will break with choices we must
make, so sleep and dream of me."
- LB
Old 06-04-2002, 10:47 PM
Junior Ledgie

"Oh Well" gets as much airplay as something like "Gold Dust Woman" on the Classic Rock station I listen to...
Old 06-05-2002, 02:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"Why" was a concert staple since MTM was released and it was one of the three songs they played on "Midnight Special" in 1973. ("Believe Me" & "Miles Away" were the other two)

Then in 1975, on "Midnight Special" they played "Why" again, along with "Rhiannon", "Over My Head" & "World Turning".

Ali's right, "Sentimental Lady" was the single from "Bare Trees", didn't do all that well in the charts, but got some decent airplay on non-commercial FM stations (in those days, if you weren't played on AM radio, you didn't have a "hit")...as of course did "Hypnotized"...but "Bermuda Triangle" & "Heroes Are Hard To Find" both got some significant airplay in 1974 just before Welch left...that neither of those songs caught on with AM stations and didn't give the band much of a "breakthrough" to a mass audience was one of the plethora of reasons Welch DID decide to leave the band.

To me, ALL of the following songs that could've (and should've) been BIG AM hits, but for some reason just didn't catch on with AM programmers:

Sentimental Lady (at least, not until Welch's OWN version in 1978)
Spare Me A Little Of Your Love
Did You Ever Love Me
Dissatisfied (sounds like "Don't Stop" a little bit...and we know what happened with THAT tune)
Remember Me
Hypnotized
For Your Love
Believe Me
Heroes Are Hard To Find
Bermuda Triangle
Old 06-05-2002, 10:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Come A Little Bit Closer is another great song that should have been a hit. I also thought that Future Games did get some airplay at the time. All 5 Bob Welch era Fleetwood Mac albums are extremely underrated and deserve a lot better.