User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-14-2002, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question Who is THAT???

I was just wondering what you Ledgies thought of each album when you heard it for the VERY FIRST TIME?

I just got into the band last March, so it's easy for me to remember how I felt hearing them for the first time. I ordered Tango and Mirage first, knowing how big a fan of the 80's I am, and when I first heard Tango, my mouth fell open, especially when I heard Tango and You and I, Part II. I knew Little Lies and Everywhere and I had heard Big Love from the Greatest Hits, the first album of FM I got to get a taste of the GREATNESS to come.

I got the White Album and Rumours next, WOAH, it was so awesome to hear those two albums, I knew Rhiannon, SYLM, Dreams, GYOW and Don't Stop but the others BLEW MY MIND as well. When I heard GDW, it was AWESOME, and hearing ISA for the first time was like a RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCE, the GREATNESS of that song NEVER CEASES TO AMAZE ME!

Then, I got the Dance video first, then the CD, and HOLY SMOKES, ISA, Big Love, GI, SS!!!!!

I was hesitant to get Tusk because of stuff I read on the net (Bad net, BAD!!), but I finally got it, and it was wierd the first listen, but now, it's like, WHY DID I NOT GET INTO THIS BAND SOONER!!!!

I must be consumed with every song, demo, outtake, rarity, etc that my grubby little ears can listen to!

Actually, after hearing Holiday Road and DATUSA last year, I got Lindsey's albums OOTC and GI first and they BLEW ME AWAY. Hearing Surrender the Rain, I fell in love with the song and Lindsey right then. I just recently got L&O, and it was wierd at first, but it is GREATNESS!! Shadow of the West is hauntingly engaging!! Geez, I sound like a music reviewer with those stupid words, but the song is just gorgeous.

Also, when I got BN from Ebay, I was AMAZED by Frozen Love and Races are Run, also by the demo of Sorcerer, which was included on my BN bootleg (shhhh...) CD.
Old 06-15-2002, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The one that really blew me away was the Buckingham/Nicks album. I just got it off e-bay (you gotta love e-bay about three months ago. When I heard those songs, I was just so, so FLABERGASTED...lol... I just could not believe that this album didn't sell millions. I mean every song is amazing. And, like you said, Races are Run and Frozen Love are just so awesome, I get chills everytime I hear them. And I think Lola, My Love is the cutest song

And the BN I won had some demos on it too (probably the same ones as yours). Sorceror was awesome, Stevie and Lindsey sound amazing together on that song. And I absolutely love Secret Love, great song!!

"Oh I let you slip away there was nothing I could do. That was so long ago still I often think of you..."-Lindsey Buckingham

"I didn't come here to be a mother, I didn't come here to be a nun, and I did not come here to be a cleaning lady; I came here to be a poet"-Stevie Nicks
Old 06-24-2002, 02:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

I remember the first Mac cd that blew me away was the Dance. I was just amazed at how well they sounded live. I had heard most of the songs on the radio, but had no idea, who they were until I saw that special.

I would have to say Tango in the night is definately a great cd from them, bot You and I...I don't really get into. I think the album could have used a different song, but all in all it is one of my favs.

Best thing to do if you want to confuse your friends, who like to listen to music. Blast "the ledge" they will get so perplexed listening to the lyrics. I play that song for my friends if they think they know Mac, but it stumps them everytime.
Old 06-24-2002, 04:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, the first thing I went out and bought was The Dance DVD... because I'm a freak. And I just sat there watching it with my mouth wide open. I just could not believe these people were so damn good! It was like, what are the chances of there being a band with three singer-songwriters and me liking all of them? It just clicked... And then I ran to the phone and called my friend and said something along the lines of, "Oh my God, you have to come over here and watch this thing I just bought... I don't know if you'll like it, but..." She liked it. She liked it so much I eventually had to buy her a copy of her own.

Laura.
Old 06-24-2002, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Jeez, do I feel old.....

My first real exposure was in 1977. I really liked Rumours and the white album, especially (during that time) Christine's songs. As the years went by, Stevie definitely became my favorite.

I loved Tusk the minute I heard it. I connected with Mirage more from the singles than the actual album- which is a little weak. When I first heard Tango I hated it. Waayyyy too poppy. However, it grew on me throughout 1987. I just pulled it out the other night after not listening to it for years. It's not a great effort- for the me the only stand outs are "Tango in the Night", "Isn't It Midnight" and "Welcome to the Room, Sara". "Seven Wonders" is great- but it's a little tainted because Stevie didn't write it.

I really like Behind the Mask and to this day I still think it is highly underrated. The Dance was great, but they left off "Gold Dust Woman", which for me was the best performance from those two shows ("Silver Springs", "Big Love", "Bleed to Love Her", and "Landslide" being the other great performances- Christine phoned in her entire contribution).
Old 06-24-2002, 02:29 PM
Senior Ledgie

I remember getting The Dance first, and being blown away by it. I listened to it all the time! I loved it. I listened to it every day for a year before I started to slow down.

I remember getting Rumours, and the same thing happened.

It's funny, because I remember getting the white album, and not really listening to it. I thought it was okay, but nothing spectacular. Then I one day I pulled it out of the stand, and plugged it in...I l-o-v-e-d it! And to this day it's still my favourite. How odd.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm another oldie, been there since 76 or so when I was around 13. I heard Rhiannon on the radio and was hooked. I got Rumours for my fourteenth birthday with my first stereo and played the grooves off the thing!

I've stuck with 'em through good, bad, and indifferent....

Everytime I thought they were dead in the water they somehow managed to rise from the ashes better than ever.

i listen to lots of music, new and old, but I always come back to the comfort zone of the Mac.

Some things just snag you early and never let go, I guess!

There's no turning back!
Old 06-25-2002, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My first exposure was the Gypsy video when I was a little girl. My mom told me she was a witch and that I couldn't like her!

My first ALBUM was the Dance. God I was SOOOO blown away by the Chain and Silver Springs. Then I was facinated by Big Love's guitar work...then Go Insane....then I was the most obsessed Fleetwood Mac fan ever I think.

Dance is a great first album
Old 06-26-2002, 01:40 PM
Senior Ledgie

Talking

well, the first time i heard the Mac was in 97, and Landslide was on the radio a lot. I convinced myself if was horrible, and the girl who sang it (Fleetwood Mac) wrote awful songs. (hey, i was 9, give me a break...) then i kind of forgot about FM, until about a year and a half ago, Lindsey said she was doing a dance to Rhiannon in dance class. then, on the way home from a trip to DC, she made me listen to certain songs on the dance. i LOVED Rhiannon....and i thought Tusk was really stupid, but funny. Same w/ My Little Demon. so when i got back home, i took my dad's Greatest Hits cd. At this point, i couldn't tell Chris and Lindsey apart, lol. but i really liked it. so i bought the Dance. and i LOVED it! and after that, i just loved every one i got right away, except for Tusk....but i recently discovered how good that one really is!
Oh, steal your heart away~
Old 06-27-2002, 03:51 PM

Default Here's my contribution

Well, I DO feel old. My first FM experience was Bare Trees . . . but I won't go there and bore people (and depress myself).

Okay, Mystery to Me hit me like a two-by-four at the age of 17. I remember the very party (stoned out of my mind) where I first heard it. I bought it the next day.

The white album I first heard in a dorm room (yes, stoned again . . .there's a pattern here, okay?). I bought it the same day.

I first heard Gold Dust Woman over a college cafeteria musak system playing some small-town radio station. Honest to God. And yes, I was stoned and in a major munchie frenzy. I bought Rumours the next day.

Tusk I simply bought outright without hearing one damn song. I think I had a clear head then.

Mirage? Stoned in Reno. A friend put on Oh Diane and said man you gotta listen to this.

Tango? Lying on a floor in Vancouver with my wife. She gave me the album as a gift (I'd heard Big Love on the radio and gone nuts). Listened to the whole thing in a blue haze and decided this was by far the best band in the world. This is a very clear memory.

The Dance? I bought it outright. By this time I lived with a clear head.

Okay, that's my trip down memory lane. Man, am I old.