User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-29-2002, 12:55 PM
Ledgie

Exclamation Mojo Magazine news article in full

Hi there,

Me again with a transcription of the short Mac article in the November issue of Mojo Magazine. This comes with a very small picture of the group backstage at one of The Dance tourconcerts in the US. It's on page 12 in the section "In the Works"

FLEETWOOD MAC

Title: No confirmed title

Due: April 2003

Production: Recording at Lindsay (sic) Buckingham's home studio since February. Buckingham himself produces.

Songs: Titles so far include Buckingham's Come and Nicks' Say You Will.

Buzz: More rock, less pop apparently. Christine McVie has decided to opt out of the project, explaining that she wouldn't mind recording, but she refuses to tour.

Well there you have it in full. Now we have what, 5 songs known in total? Peacekeeper, Come, Illume, Thrown Down and Say You Will. I wonder what the other 31 will be, of course still counting on it to be a double cd (36 songs like the new Very Best Of). I really hope they will unleash as many new songs as possible to the audience next April! We are starving for new product by Mac and I think it's a safe bet that this will finally be the worthy successor to Tusk, eclectic yet elegant!!
Old 10-29-2002, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well one inaccuracy is that they are not at Lindsey's home studio. They are in their own rented studio house. It isn't anyone's personal home.

Thanks for posting it though!
What is this "Say You Will"?
Anyone got any lyrics for it?
Old 10-29-2002, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question Thanks for posting Buck

Well it would be GREAT if the new album was released as a double but I bet it will either be released as two seperate single albums (as Warners would want to make more money out of the deal and they'd make more by doing that then releasing a double) or as one long single disc with the remainder of the tunes on B-sides (or should I say, as bonus tracks on CD singles).

It's the age showing again!

By the way, what WAS the last double studio album of "new" material (by ANY artist)?

It probably is newer than I think it is but I'd be interested to see what you guys have to say about it.

John
Old 10-29-2002, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Announcements don`t mean much. Remember the "10 Percents to go" quote concerning LB`s solo record mentioned on the Dance 1997. I doubt very much that there will be a double album, although everyone here would appreciate that. To your question: Bruce Springsteen once published two albums simultaneously in the early 90's. Quite exceptional and not too succesful. But right- I couldn`t mention a new material double album. Let`s wait and see...
Old 10-29-2002, 04:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmmmm...Prince comes to mind first...I seem to recall him releasing a double album SINCE "Sign O' The Times"...but, I can't think of anyone releasing an actual double CD of new material in the "CD age". There've been some LONNNG single CD's that, if released on vinyl, probably would've been double albums.
Old 10-29-2002, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
Hmmmm...Prince comes to mind first...I seem to recall him releasing a double album SINCE "Sign O' The Times"...but, I can't think of anyone releasing an actual double CD of new material in the "CD age".....
Funny you used Prince as an example....(before I read your post) I was about to say, following on from the Bruce Springsteen comment above, Prince released the "(Love) Symbol" album almost immediately after "Diamonds & Pearls", back in '91,'92....two very big (in both meanings: sales, and album length) albums. If my memory serves me correctly I think there was no "radio time gap" between the "Diamonds & Pearls" and "Symbol" album singles. The two albums have a very similar feel & sound, and you could very easily mix the two into an imaginary double album.

I DO believe the "Spring 2003" release will be a double album. There is just WAY TOO MUCH material in their hands for it not to be: I really do think that this is the last studio album we will ever see from "Fleetwood Mac", so they're gonna give us the best they've got....ALL of it. Gift Of Screws will never be released as a separate LB album...this 2003 FM album is going to be "The best of Gift Of Screws + a few more LB songs + a whole load of new SN songs", which means that it is going to be at least 20-25 tracks, which easily makes it a "double album's worth" of material.

Old 10-30-2002, 04:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Elsewhere it was pointed out too, that this would be the last FM studio record. Why do you believe that? Because of age? What do you believe?
I`m pretty sure, that LB won't release solo albums no more. Or probably permanently works on something without finally getting it out. It seems to me, that FM occurs to him as the only platform on which he percieves any recognition to a wide public. That is also a matter of commercial success. If the next FM one is successful- why should they retire? Any opinions...?
Old 10-30-2002, 06:37 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
[...] I can't think of anyone releasing an actual double CD of new material in the "CD age". There've been some LONNNG single CD's that, if released on vinyl, probably would've been double albums.
A look at Amazon´s website confirmed what I remembered... The Smashing Pumpkins´ "Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness" was a double CD released in the 90´s. Both CD´s contain 14 songs each.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think Stevie will retire, because she always says things like, "this is my life" and "I'll be singing Rhiannon and Dreams when I'm 90".
As for the guys, it's hard to say. They have children and all.....but those kids need college funds, you know, so maybe they will keep going for awhile.

I hope so! Especially since they all seem to enjoy being together.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

As much as I'd love a double album, I'm pretty sure they'll release a single disc. Why? Well, for one thing I've learned to be skeptical about news relating to the release of this album. How many times can you hear incorrect statements about the release date before you start thinking they've "cried wolf... once too often"? Therefore, I take any and all news from Mick and Stevie with a few grains of salt.

They seem to be working on a bunch of new material, and as a result Stevie and Mick have made some off-the-cuff remarks about having enough for a double album. But double albums are uncommercial. Even for artists at the peak of their popularity, they rarely (if ever) do as well as single discs. Tusk is a prime example. I think Mac and the record company both will want this new CD to make as big an impact as possible, and as a result they'll release it as a more palatable single disc.

All that being said, though... I'd love to be proven wrong come April!
Old 10-30-2002, 09:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

If there's enough material for a double CD, and the material is THAT good all the way through...it's conceivable that they could release a single album in April (no later, though)...do the tour, then release a SECOND album either before Christmas or in the first rush of post-Christmas albums (mid-February)...THEN around June or July release a DVD of the tour.

Ok, make me their marketing director...when do I start?
Old 11-02-2002, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Let's see...

"By the way, what WAS the last double studio album of "new" material (by ANY artist)?"

Dream Theater's "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence" is a GREAT double set, Which in this "Pop/Rap/Teeny Bop" dominated music scene (Which is a sad state IMO), Has been virtually ignored...But then D.T. has never been about being in the "Popular" music scene mode, I think thats what is so great about 'em...

The radio stations would NEVER play this 2 disc set because the music is NOT radio friendly (The shortest track is 6:46...The rest are at least a mininum 9 minutes long and the EPIC Disc 2 "Six Degrees..." clocks in at 42:04!!!) or commercialized enough to be (No "Pre-Packaged Aggression" or "Hip Corporate" music on this set...What would anyone expect from a band who's influences run from Metallica to Journey to Yes to the Beatles to the much underated band UK...D.T. is a MUSICIANS Band...'Nuff said).

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."