Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Lindsey might think it was an even trade off, if it meant he stopped getting blamed for his songs being bad.

I bet he would be thrilled if she used another producer and all the reviews pointed out her songs stunk and his and Christine's songs got more critical recognition. That would be a triumph for him.

Michele
And that's usually the case.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Lindsey might think it was an even trade off, if it meant he stopped getting blamed for his songs being bad.

I bet he would be thrilled if she used another producer and all the reviews pointed out her songs stunk and his and Christine's songs got more critical recognition. That would be a triumph for him.

Michele

I don't think Lindsey would be that shallow. In any case, Stevie has used multiple producers outside FM on her solo work, with the results being both bad and good. Lindsey is a very capable musician and producer, but not necessarily the linchpin that makes Stevie's songs "work".
Old 09-10-2016, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Lindsey might think it was an even trade off, if it meant he stopped getting blamed for his songs being bad. Michele
If his songs are bad then he should be blamed...

Quote:

Michele
And he would have the agony of defeat if Stevie's songs were spectacular...Oh the humiliation LB would suffer having to admit that Stevie was just as good at creating her FM songs as he was and his only contribution was "a few guitar parts"...
Old 09-10-2016, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
I don't think Lindsey would be that shallow. In any case, Stevie has used multiple producers outside FM on her solo work, with the results being both bad and good. Lindsey is a very capable musician and producer, but not necessarily the linchpin that makes Stevie's songs "work".
The problem is that LB seems unwilling to give up creative control/direction on Stevie's songs( He won't let her wear the "Creator Hat")...I would like to hear what Stevie can do within the frame work of FM...After all these years Stevie has earned the right to do HER SONGS HER WAY without LB trying to hog the creative process...
Old 09-10-2016, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
The problem is that LB seems unwilling to give up creative control/direction on Stevie's songs( He won't let her wear the "Creator Hat")...I would like to hear what Stevie can do within the frame work of FM...After all these years Stevie has earned the right to do HER SONGS HER WAY without LB trying to hog the creative process...
Lindsey has more of a structured and rigid way when he gets in the studio. A very serious approach. Almost meticulous to a fault. Stevie goes in with a "let's make this a party and have fun" approach. That's the real burn with these two.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
it's a nice excuse that is being trotting out over and over by SN fans, living in the past, but it's been a moot point for decades now.

Stevie is pretty clear she does not want to play in the team of equals, and she will find any reason or person to blame for her unwillingness.

both Lindsey and the rest of the band have said for the last decade that they are very ready to appease her demands in order to make that FM album, bring a producer she wants or whatever. and she keeps coming up with different reasons why there shouldn't be an album.

fans however want a single producer, coherent sound etc etc. it's obvious that even if the album with Stevie included happens, there will be no even, coherent production.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-10-2016, 01:08 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

If you'd like to get a sense of what can happen when Lindsey doesn't produce Stevie's FM songs, take a listen to Behind the Mask. Some of her worst songs appear on that album. The production is muddy, vocals are lazy, performance is lethargic.

Within the context of FM, I think Lindsey has done an amazing job bringing Stevie's demos to life. Has he been successful 100 percent of the time, absolutely not ("Smile at You," "Running Through the Garden" lost their original shine under his direction, in my opinion). But he's hit a home run more often than not. It's just too bad that they can't find a way to put their big egos aside and focus on making great music TOGETHER.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Lindsey has more of a structured and rigid way when he gets in the studio. A very serious approach. Almost meticulous to a fault. Stevie goes in with a "let's make this a party and have fun" approach. That's the real burn with these two.
excellent summation.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
excellent summation.
It really was... I mean, she brings a spirit catcher into the room!! That will always crack me up.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by editme2 View Post
If you'd like to get a sense of what can happen when Lindsey doesn't produce Stevie's FM songs, take a listen to Behind the Mask. Some of her worst songs appear on that album. The production is muddy, vocals are lazy, performance is lethargic.

Within the context of FM, I think Lindsey has done an amazing job bringing Stevie's demos to life. Has he been successful 100 percent of the time, absolutely not ("Smile at You," "Running Through the Garden" lost their original shine under his direction, in my opinion). But he's hit a home run more often than not. It's just too bad that they can't find a way to put their big egos aside and focus on making great music TOGETHER.
I love Behind the Mask and think Stevie sounds great on Love is Dangerous, In the Back of My Mind, Freedom, Affairs of the Heart, and the Second Time. Oh, and No Questions Asked. I've also thought Stop Dragging My Heart, Edge of 17, Stand Back, Talk to Me, Rooms on Fire, the Wild Heart, Leather and Lace, and Whenever I Call You Friend were all pretty good, too. And Planets of the Universe and Secret Love are two of my favorite Stevie songs... songs Lindsey was unable to do anything with, so Stevie kept them and other, equally capable producers were able to craft them.

Too bad Lindsey gets most of the credit for Stevie's songs... guess that means we know who to thank for When I See You Again, then.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I know... I don't know why Stevie won't get down on the bathroom floor with Lindsey and bark like a dog for 20 takes while he taps a pencil. I guess his "structured and rigid way" is lost on Stevie, but who knows?
Old 09-10-2016, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I know... I don't know why Stevie won't get down on the bathroom floor with Lindsey and bark like a dog for 20 takes while he taps a pencil. I guess his "structured and rigid way" is lost on Stevie, but who knows?
Unfair. He does not ask that from anybody but himself. And it got us Tusk. How can you use that disrespectful?

Old 09-10-2016, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess I was being as unfair to Lindsey as other posters have been to Stevie, saying she just likes to party in the recording studio and doesn't take it seriously.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If his songs are bad then he should be blamed...
I meant to write for HER songs being bad, which he shouldn't get the blame for (but does), if they were garbage to begin with, Silver Girl.

Michele
Old 09-10-2016, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And he would have the agony of defeat if Stevie's songs were spectacular...Oh the humiliation LB would suffer having to admit that Stevie was just as good at creating her FM songs as he was and his only contribution was "a few guitar parts"...
Lindsey would never have to admit that, since even Stevie herself, who is far from modest, would never describe his contributions that way.

At any rate, I thought -- I mean, I think I have heard a fan or two of hers mumble something to the effect -- that she HAS had a successful solo career. So, Lindsey has already had about 34 years to contemplate the fact that Stevie can produce successful songs without his involvement. It doesn't seem to have humiliated him much.

Michele