The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: What is your favorite Lindsey solo studio album?
Law and Order 3 5.17%
Go Insane 3 5.17%
Out of the Cradle 36 62.07%
Under the Skin 6 10.34%
Gift of Screws 5 8.62%
Seeds We Sow 5 8.62%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2013, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Favorite Lindsey Solo Studio Album

Since it's been a while since Seeds We Sow was released, I though it would be fun to do a new poll of Lindsey's solo studio albums now that we've had a chance to really listen to the new album and compare it to his previous releases. So pick your favorite studio album and leave a comment explaining what you like about it or why it's your favorite
Old 01-17-2013, 05:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I need some time to think about it but it could be any of them. If you'd asked me a couple of years ago I'd have said "anything but L&O" (which I liked but didn't love) but now I'd even include that. Perhaps UTS has slipped a bit...

I've a real soft spot for GI but OOTC is pure Pop perfection and GOS/SWS are great, especially as a pair...

I'll have to get back to you.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

GOS. The choice is an obvious one even though the CD mastering is way too loud and adds an unnecessary digital sizzling to the harder rocking songs.
I tried taping this for the old car but the tape went apart during recording: the magntic forces due to the loudness were just too much for it.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No questions: Out Of The Cradle.
I always say it, but every song, every intro, words and music, are excellent.
Ok, maybe we can talk about his departure, and that he used "old material" to make some of the songs for the abum, but we can't deny that he used it perfectly!!
Then, one little vote to Law & Order, and Go Insane, my second favourite.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
I need some time to think about it but it could be any of them.
I know. For me, it could not be Law and Order or UTS. But other than that, it doesn't really matter. I don't put Go Insane with OOTC, GOS or SWS, but I don't rank it as less than them either.

Michele
Old 01-17-2013, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really enjoy the fact that all of the albums are completetly different from eachother (except SWS).

L & O to Go Insanse totally different journey, then to OOTC, sounds like a totally different artists etc.

SWS is probably the exception, because when I listen to that I feel like I'm listening almost to a Greatest Hits album, with completetly new songs. It's a reshasing of old sounds, and ideas, from all of those eras but with new songs.

I know I'm in the minority, but it pains me when I hear negatives about UTS, not that it's the best he has done, but certainly find it to be a complete album focusing on a certain mood. But again I know I'm one of the few that can put that on and listen to it all the way through and be excited.

Top to bottom though it's probably GOS for me.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4136 View Post
I know I'm in the minority, but it pains me when I hear negatives about UTS, not that it's the best he has done, but certainly find it to be a complete album focusing on a certain mood. But again I know I'm one of the few that can put that on and listen to it all the way through and be excited.
I don't think people think bad things about UTS. There's no consensus that it is the Family Man of albums. I was a great fan of UTS when it was released.

When those 3 preview songs debuted (Show You How, CAD, It Was You) I played them 1000 times before the album was out and then glorified in the LP as a whole. I don't feel that excitement about it any longer, but I respect it immensely and I still place Show You How among Lindsey's top 5 songs.

Michele
Old 01-17-2013, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
Since it's been a while since Seeds We Sow was released, I though it would be fun to do a new poll of Lindsey's solo studio albums now that we've had a chance to really listen to the new album and compare it to his previous releases. So pick your favorite studio album and leave a comment explaining what you like about it or why it's your favorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4136 View Post
I really enjoy the fact that all of the albums are completely different from eachother (except SWS).

L & O to Go Insane totally different journey, then to OOTC, sounds like a totally different artists etc.

SWS is probably the exception, because when I listen to that I feel like I'm listening almost to a Greatest Hits album, with completely new songs. It's a rehashing of old sounds, and ideas, from all of those eras but with new songs.
i like your analysis, although i think that GOS and SWS both fit bolded description of SWS. i probably wouldn't say rehashing but further developing all kinds of different old ideas and directions he started in the past. except SWS has the added bonus you mention of sounding like greatest hits. every single song on it can stand on its own but still they are sequenced together so perfectly. (UTS and GOS especially would greatly benefit from better sequencing.)

so without a second thought it's Seeds We Sow for me. not a bad song on it, and majority are fantastic - In Our Own Time, That's The Way That Love Goes, Rock Away Blind, Seeds We Sow (electric!), Gone Too Far..... plus it's the only album that came out since i became a fan, and i've heard first 6 songs live months before it came out. when i listened to the live versions on Songs from the Small Machine last week, first time in a while, it felt like being in Saban again, hearing them for the first time, and realizing that LB still got it as a songwriter!

(with my usual caveat - i'm not sure whether or not SWS would keep its first place on my list if the original GOS2001 was released. )

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I can't decide between OOTC and GI. My third fave is definitely UTS. Cast Away Dreams is my very favorite of Lindsey's more recent solo songs.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OOTC is my my favorite. I listen to that album all the time. Even in the digital age, it's just one of those albums that I will listen to from beginning to end and never skip a song. I love the instrumentals, gorgeous. Beautiful lyrics. I just cannot live without Street of Dreams or Soul Drifter.
That being said, Cast Away Dreams and Shut Us Down are two of my favorite LB songs ever - so, maybe UTS is my second favorite album.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's still Go Insane, but SWS, GOS and L&O are close...

Old 01-18-2013, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Out Of The Cradle is Lindsey's masterwork. It's just too bad that his original vision of Gift Of Screws wasn't brought to light...and was delivered in "bacon strips" instead of "whole hog".

To use the Brian Wilson comparison:

OotC was Lindsey's "Pet Sounds" with the original GOS being his "Smile". And, the officially released GOS was pretty much a let down like the Smile that eventually got released.

Last edited by chiliD; 01-18-2013 at 04:59 PM..
Old 01-19-2013, 09:38 AM

Thumbs up

I remember running to the record store to buy Go Insane. I think it's simply brilliant.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Will always Be Out of the Cradle.

Just cause I like Lists

1. Cradle
2. Gift of Screws
3. Under the Skin
4. Law and Order. (Rediscovered this recently)
5. Seeds we Sow (Rehashed ideas mostly)
6. Go Insane (Headache Inducing)

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 01-19-2013, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The only thing of which I am certain is that SWS is at the very bottom. At this point, I can't decide.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.