The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Congratulations on getting your dream instrument Brandon.

The Model 1 is a work of art and, tonally, very unique in what it can do for sure.

You are right its not the easiest guitar to bend or to get sweet bar chords but it is easier to play chord shapes and much easier for finger picking. I wouldn't worry about the setup. Get a good store to sort that out. Its direct from production and most companies can't be bothered to do a pro setup before shipping anyway. Rick's place is no exception

I've had 3 of them now and the one I have these days is a 2006 model. Ricks build quality has improved a great deal lately and a few small refinements he made about a 18 months back have tidied the design up.

Its a good guitar and gets some "wow" comments when its seen. Speaking personally I prefer to play my Fender Esquire or Strats these days but it still gets playing time for anything "Les Paul" based as it blows a Gibson into the water. I totally agree with Lindsey's mindset about it being the perfect stage guitar. Very easy to get jazz, Telecaster, Les Paul sounds and much more.

If you want it just to play Fleetwood Mac stuff then thats cool. Its the only guitar on the planet that can achieve the dark tone on "I'm So Afraid" properly but its so much more than that. Experiment and you'll have a lot of fun.

I prefer it through a Fender tube amp personally too. Boogies tend to give it a bit too much overdrive for my taste. Take your Model 1 and check out the Boogies at a store before you pull the trigger.

Have fun!
Old 07-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac View Post
Congratulations on getting your dream instrument Brandon.
You are right its not the easiest guitar to bend or to get sweet bar chords but it is easier to play chord shapes and much easier for finger picking.

Its a good guitar and gets some "wow" comments when its seen. Speaking personally I prefer to play my Fender Esquire or Strats these days but it still gets playing time for anything "Les Paul" based as it blows a Gibson into the water. I totally agree with Lindsey's mindset about it being the perfect stage guitar. Very easy to get jazz, Telecaster, Les Paul sounds and much more.

Its the only guitar on the planet that can achieve the dark tone on "I'm So Afraid" properly but its so much more than that.

Boogies tend to give it a bit too much overdrive for my taste. Take your Model 1 and check out the Boogies at a store before you pull the trigger.

Have fun!
Yeah bends ala "The Chain" are not easy. I need to have a pro set up done, like I said...but dont know anyone here that may have had experience with the guitar.

I do, still, prefer playing my Epi Les Paul. This is going to take some getting use to!

The tone on "So Afraid" from the Dance is what I've been trying to achieve for years. I hope I can pull it off.

If you're not using Boogies...what kind of Fenders do you prefer?
Old 07-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
Yeah bends ala "The Chain" are not easy. I need to have a pro set up done, like I said...but dont know anyone here that may have had experience with the guitar.

I do, still, prefer playing my Epi Les Paul. This is going to take some getting use to!

The tone on "So Afraid" from the Dance is what I've been trying to achieve for years. I hope I can pull it off.

If you're not using Boogies...what kind of Fenders do you prefer?
Yeah, the E string bend on the opening arpeggios of The Chain takes some getting used to with the M1.

The tone from the Dance "I'm So Afraid".. Hmm. Set the volume about 3/4 which would be about 2 O'Clock (looking at the face of the guitar), the EQ frequency sweep at about 1.30 to 2 O'Clock also. Have the tone fully treble (3 O'Clock) and the EQ boost close to fully boosted but roll it off a little. Don't use the coil tap, just the humbucker.

If you have a Boss SD-1 (I think you do right?) then volume set to whatever is comfortable, tone at 1 O'Clock and Drive at 2 O'Clock. If you have a delay (I use a DD-3) set it to somewhere in the region of 400ms.

When you get to the heavier part of the solo when Lindsey works down from the D string roll the volume to max. Its that last quarter of the volume that makes the difference with the EQ on. Turns it into a monster..

I use a Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue now. Perfect amp for me. Nice and clean and all tube. I'd rather have a clean amp and overdrive with volume and pedals personally. Boogies tend to colour the sound too much for me on a clean setting. As far as the setup is concerned the guitar model is not an issue for a good store to set up. Google the stores in your area and see if they have a "Plek" machine. They use lasers to get the best setup possible.

For amps. As I say, take the Model 1 down to a store and check out the amps. I got recommended this Fender by a friend in the industry that was invited to a show in NYC. its "only" 22 watts but its louder than many 100 watt amps. Plus it overdrives very sweetly. No need for a 150 watt monster with modern PA equipment, its all for show.

Oh, one more thing. Rick always ships the Model 1 with Thomastik Infeld 11-52 strings which are pretty heavy if you are not used to them. (your fingers will hurt a bit on bends given the strings and the scale of the instrument). Both Lindsey's and mine are strung 10-46. (LB uses Ernie Ball I believe but I don't rate them as they go "flat" very quickly. Better to use THomastiks or D'Addarios) This is better for bends and playability but you do sacrifice a little bit of "grunt". If you want to change gauges then get the store to do it as the Model 1 always needs the truss rod tweaking for this. Its not difficult (the rod is located under the cover on the headstock, same as your Epi) but yeah, if you are not comfortable doing it leave it to the store.

* oh, I send you a MySpace add dude. I have a couple of pics of my Model 1 and the amp in my pictures.

Last edited by madformac; 07-02-2007 at 04:40 PM..
Old 07-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

* oh, I send you a MySpace add dude. I have a couple of pics of my Model 1 and the amp in my pictures.
Madfor mac will you PM me the Link too.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What is the Guitar Strap Lindsey uses. It is very thin looks like it would be uncomfortable after a while. I thought i heard somewhere it was a fender strap but i've checked them all out and it dosent appear to be on the list.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness Fades View Post
Madfor mac will you PM me the Link too.
www.myspace.com/madformac
Old 07-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What is the Guitar Strap Lindsey uses. It is very thin looks like it would be uncomfortable after a while. I thought i heard somewhere it was a fender strap but i've checked them all out and it dosent appear to be on the list.
Its just a regular black "vintage" 50's style strap with the shoulder pad taken off and the strap turned backwards. Not sure on the exact one. They are all pretty similar looking. Fender do a similar one. Look on the accesories part of their site for the vintage strap. Slide the shoulder pad off and face the buckle to the back of the guitar and there you have it. A narrow strap suits the Model 1 due to its tiny size. Regular straps look a bit silly I think.

I use Eldorado straps these days. They are not too common in the UK and they ain't cheap either (over £100 each now). The hand tooled leather is amazing though. I've only seen Noel Gallagher using them (in fact I read he has about 12 of them!). I've heard Santana is starting to use them too. Best straps in the world IMHO.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks madformac thats the very strap, I looked it up on ebay and it was only £13.95 sweet. So i bought one of them just there now. Anyway those Eldorado Straps are far far to expensive. Not saying I wouldnt like one but they are too dear. I'd never pay for one.

I've always used Thomastic Power Brights strings. the 10-46 ones. Well, in an emergency last month i changed them to a set of ernie ball 9's. They sounded dead in comparison. there was no tone and i have to change them already. So I ordered the powerbrights with the Fender strap.

The only dissappointment with my mesa boogie subway amp is that there is no gain and it only sounds distorted when its cranked up (LOUD) then its way too loud for home use.

I use a Boss GT-6 for all my effects, and personally i am now starting to think that it sounds all a bit un natural and computer generated. Its over complicated and difficult to use. Im considering going back to basics and purchasing an analogue Distortion pedal and a bit of digital delay.

When I eventually get my Compass Rose acoustic from Rick next year, I will also grab the D-Tar Mama Bear. The Dollar rate at the minute is amazing. I can get a D-tar for £145.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Oh, one more thing. Rick always ships the Model 1 with Thomastik Infeld 11-52 strings which are pretty heavy if you are not used to them. (your fingers will hurt a bit on bends given the strings and the scale of the instrument). Both Lindsey's and mine are strung 10-46. (LB uses Ernie Ball I believe but I don't rate them as they go "flat" very quickly. Better to use THomastiks or D'Addarios) This is better for bends and playability but you do sacrifice a little bit of "grunt". If you want to change gauges then get the store to do it as the Model 1 always needs the truss rod tweaking for this. Its not difficult (the rod is located under the cover on the headstock, same as your Epi) but yeah, if you are not comfortable doing it leave it to the store.
Lemme ask you this...did you ever have to send your M1 back? I noticed, that Rick left the "lion head" off my headstock! Not only that but one of the knobs is "bent" (you can wiggle it back and forth) and is scuffed on the top too. Also, he gave me these weird Steinberger tuning heads that I dont like at all. I was expecting Grovers. Hmm...anyway...he told me to "send the guitar back and they would fix it ASAP"...which is cool, but now I gotta shell out another $125 to ship it. Not to mention the dangers of shipping and what not...GRR!!
Old 07-03-2007, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am in no way making a negative report on rick turner or his business here. I outta point something out though . Rick takes a very long time about Fixing and Returning things. I am very very patient and really dont mind waiting. Hovever do you remember the Vintage 1980 I sent in, and was promised to be read in 8 weeks........ still not looked at. And there was a guy went under the name Orthgod broke the neck on his (i have no idea how), anyway 15 months later and after a solicitors letter (apparently) then and only then did he get his back.

For me its not a problem Barry and Rick can take their time and work away in his own time, but you should bear im mind that it could take a long time. They are very very busy.

I wasn't entirley happy with the colour of mine in the begining but I soon warmed to it and really like it now. It wasnt the colour I had asked for !!!! I wanted the lighter redish brown colour Lindsey Uses. I also asked for it to be signed and it wasnt. I guess these things just happen. At the end of the day its still sounds the same and plays well.

I met them last year over in their factory and as i recall Barry told me last year he worked 350 days last year.

Nevertheless you paid a lot of money and should have exactly what you asked for.

Its a tricky one!!

Last edited by Madness Fades; 07-03-2007 at 01:11 PM..
Old 07-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
I am in no way making a negative report on rick turner or his business here. I outta point something out though . Rick takes a very long time about Fixing and Returning things. I am very very patient and really dont mind waiting. Hovever do you remember the Vintage 1980 I sent in, and was promised to be read in 8 weeks........ still not looked at. And there was a guy went under the name Orthgod broke the neck on his (i have no idea how), anyway 15 months later and after a solicitors letter (apparently) then and only then did he get his back.

For me its not a problem Barry and Rick can take their time and work away in his own time, but you should bear im mind that it could take a long time. They are very very busy.

I wasn't entirley happy with the colour of mine in the begining but I soon warmed to it and really like it now. It wasnt the colour I had asked for !!!! I wanted the lighter redish brown colour Lindsey Uses. I also asked for it to be signed and it wasnt. I guess these things just happen. At the end of the day its still sounds the same and plays well.

I met them last year over in their factory and as i recall Barry told me last year he worked 350 days last year.

Nevertheless you paid a lot of money and should have exactly what you asked for.

Its a tricky one!!
Exactly. I hate to be one of those people that says "I paid $4000...blah blah blah" but it was a lot of money, and it wasnt made the way I wanted.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
Lemme ask you this...did you ever have to send your M1 back? I noticed, that Rick left the "lion head" off my headstock! Not only that but one of the knobs is "bent" (you can wiggle it back and forth) and is scuffed on the top too. Also, he gave me these weird Steinberger tuning heads that I dont like at all. I was expecting Grovers. Hmm...anyway...he told me to "send the guitar back and they would fix it ASAP"...which is cool, but now I gotta shell out another $125 to ship it. Not to mention the dangers of shipping and what not...GRR!!
I don't want to say anything negative about Rick on a public forum. He's a passionate guy, sometimes the passion is not always directed in the right areas though.

I'll give you just some facts . I've had 3 Model 1's. First one had a really badly cut "soundhole" which wasn't even sanded before spraying and a faulty pickup, the second one had a crack in the neck where it joins the body. The one I have now is flawless in build although the finish is not great in a couple of places, one even goes through to the wood on the top..

BUT

you have to remember Rick is running a very small team of people from basically a glorified "shed". He is not Fender. I agree that quality control is not brilliant but with handmade guitars, made in small numbers perfection is almost impossible. If those are the only negatives then I wouldn't go to the trouble of shipping it back. Believe me Rick and Barry are so busy that it could take 12 to 18 months. New orders always get priority over returns. My new Model 1 is a replacement I finally got in March 2007. I asked for the problem that lead to it to be rectified (and replaced) in March 2004. I kid you not. 3 years.. nearly 10% of my life waiting for it to be sorted (in which time I've totally got used to Fenders!) and in which time I've remained patient, knowing exactly how long it takes Rick to get around to doing these things. He is also in his mid 60's now so I cut him some slack there. Not like he has to be building guitars anymore right?

The tuners. Are they Planet Waves locking tuners?. Whatever they are, Rick will put on what he has in stock at the time. I have Schallers on mine with ebony buttons. I didn't ask for them but there you go. Its easy enough to get Schallers in chrome like LB's and have them fitted and its gonna be the same as shipping the guitar back to buy them i would guess.

Its actually kinda cool without the Lion head logo. Lindseys first Model 1 didn't have it and I always thought that was the best one! Again Rick probably was out of stock when it was made. Did you order it asking for it to be the same spec as Lindseys? Perhaps this is why. Yours is one of the nicest I've seen.

As for the knob. They work with a little grub screw. It might just be loose. The pot shafts are shorter than the knobs so there is always a gap at the top. If the screw is not tight it can move about. Go to a hardware store and get a set of small Allen wrenchs (or keys). This should cure it. If not then Rick will mail out replacement knobs free of charge I expect.

I've seen and played 5 Model 1's (out of I think about 12 in the UK) and have yet to find a flawless one.

But **** happens. I got a new Fender Esquire delivered today with a 1" crack in the neck pocket.. But its going back tomorrow and I expect and know I'll get it sorted this week..

Trust me your issues are minor dude. But Rick will take care of them. Just be prepared to wait. Custom instruments are a pain in the ass for issues in timeframe terms. Which is why I'm playing off the rack stuff again, quick to fix..

** looking at your pics those are Planet Waves tuners. All Model 1's now shipping are coming with them as standard (as are those wooden control knobs you see on mine). They are really good tuners and lock the strings nicely. I have the Schallers which I think are a small upgrade, but to be honest the Planet Waves seem to be better. Nothing in it.

Last edited by madformac; 07-03-2007 at 02:42 PM..
Old 07-03-2007, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I've always used Thomastic Power Brights strings. the 10-46 ones. Well, in an emergency last month i changed them to a set of ernie ball 9's. They sounded dead in comparison. there was no tone and i have to change them already. So I ordered the powerbrights with the Fender strap.

Ernie Ball strings, IMHO, are crap. They spend a lot of money on endorsments but the product is just bad. They take ages to stabilize, they are not smooth to slide notes on and they go off in days. Fine out of the box but really flat very quickly.

Gibson britewires are to be recommended although I found them to be a bit stiff to bend. They last ages though. Elixirs are great but the nanoweb coating gives my guitar dandruff when it peels off. D'Addarios are excellent and my usual strings. Thomastiks last forever. You can go 3 months with a set that would go off in a week with Ernies. Fender original bullets are the best for Strats, no good with other guitars though.

Thomastik Infeld or D'Addarios I would recommend.

Quote:

I use a Boss GT-6 for all my effects, and personally i am now starting to think that it sounds all a bit un natural and computer generated. Its over complicated and difficult to use. Im considering going back to basics and purchasing an analogue Distortion pedal and a bit of digital delay.
Welcome to the club!

I used stomp boxes for a few years and then got a Boss GT-6. Its great for setting up effects for a gig and changing multiple effects in one stomp. But they sound digital, dry and lifeless. I ended up only using it for practice and then it got dumped altogether.

Now I use individual pedals and the tone shines through. Short of having Pete Cornish build me an all tube effects board (I don't have £6 to £8K to waste and I'm not in Pink Floyd) then I'm happy with individual pedals. They sond real because they are real. It can't be replicated.

Quote:
When I eventually get my Compass Rose acoustic from Rick next year, I will also grab the D-Tar Mama Bear. The Dollar rate at the minute is amazing. I can get a D-tar for £145.
I'm gonna be looking forward to the strong pound against the dollar when I fly into Boston in a little while to chill with some of my friends. But I'm thinking its 1/2 price beer instead!
Old 07-03-2007, 03:12 PM
BTFLCHLD
This message has been deleted by BTFLCHLD.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^ I agree! As a "musician", I am relatively new so I don't want to join in and look stupid. I love reading about all of this stuff...and I'm jealous. I would love to just play a Model 1!!

Old 07-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
I don't want to say anything negative about Rick on a public forum. He's a passionate guy, sometimes the passion is not always directed in the right areas though.

I'll give you just some facts . I've had 3 Model 1's. First one had a really badly cut "soundhole" which wasn't even sanded before spraying and a faulty pickup, the second one had a crack in the neck where it joins the body. The one I have now is flawless in build although the finish is not great in a couple of places, one even goes through to the wood on the top..

BUT

you have to remember Rick is running a very small team of people from basically a glorified "shed". He is not Fender. I agree that quality control is not brilliant but with handmade guitars, made in small numbers perfection is almost impossible. If those are the only negatives then I wouldn't go to the trouble of shipping it back. Believe me Rick and Barry are so busy that it could take 12 to 18 months. New orders always get priority over returns. My new Model 1 is a replacement I finally got in March 2007. I asked for the problem that lead to it to be rectified (and replaced) in March 2004. I kid you not. 3 years.. nearly 10% of my life waiting for it to be sorted (in which time I've totally got used to Fenders!) and in which time I've remained patient, knowing exactly how long it takes Rick to get around to doing these things. He is also in his mid 60's now so I cut him some slack there. Not like he has to be building guitars anymore right?

The tuners. Are they Planet Waves locking tuners?. Whatever they are, Rick will put on what he has in stock at the time. I have Schallers on mine with ebony buttons. I didn't ask for them but there you go. Its easy enough to get Schallers in chrome like LB's and have them fitted and its gonna be the same as shipping the guitar back to buy them i would guess.

Its actually kinda cool without the Lion head logo. Lindseys first Model 1 didn't have it and I always thought that was the best one! Again Rick probably was out of stock when it was made. Did you order it asking for it to be the same spec as Lindseys? Perhaps this is why. Yours is one of the nicest I've seen.

As for the knob. They work with a little grub screw. It might just be loose. The pot shafts are shorter than the knobs so there is always a gap at the top. If the screw is not tight it can move about. Go to a hardware store and get a set of small Allen wrenchs (or keys). This should cure it. If not then Rick will mail out replacement knobs free of charge I expect.

I've seen and played 5 Model 1's (out of I think about 12 in the UK) and have yet to find a flawless one.

But **** happens. I got a new Fender Esquire delivered today with a 1" crack in the neck pocket.. But its going back tomorrow and I expect and know I'll get it sorted this week..

Trust me your issues are minor dude. But Rick will take care of them. Just be prepared to wait. Custom instruments are a pain in the ass for issues in timeframe terms. Which is why I'm playing off the rack stuff again, quick to fix..

** looking at your pics those are Planet Waves tuners. All Model 1's now shipping are coming with them as standard (as are those wooden control knobs you see on mine). They are really good tuners and lock the strings nicely. I have the Schallers which I think are a small upgrade, but to be honest the Planet Waves seem to be better. Nothing in it.

I dont wanna say anything negative either. I'm not really pissed, just disappointed. All the emails that Rick and I had BEFORE the guitar was built, or even paid for covered the specifics of what I wanted. Size of the neck, the look of the headstock, finish, etc. I never got any opposition when talking with him. it was always "yep, we can do that"....so to get it now, finally, and it not be what I expected is a bit of a let down.

In truth, I didnt even NOTICE the stuff until the next day. i was so in awe of the instrument (that I had finally gotten it) that I didnt even see it.

I think at this point...the best thing to do would be to replace the two knobs (the one that is scuffed and the one that is crooked)...and I dont know if they will put a new neck on it. I requested the slimmest neck he has, but its chunkier than a LP neck...so I'm not quite sure they got that right either.

~B~