The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-03-2004, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"
Default Round #3

Voting time
"Welcome To The Room...Sara". "Family Man" will soon "see you again".

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 08-03-2004, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
It still did better, that's all I need.
Talk about desperately clinging to something.

Quote:
I thought it was the fourth single, my mistake. But it must say something that the second single, a Stevie song, didn't do so hot and the others released after it did significantly better (save Family Man).
"Little Lies" and "Everywhere" where catchier singles. No doubt about it.
Christine really came to life on 'Tango,' and she deserved to have the success with her singles that she had.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit
The topic did come up. You questioned how Stevie could justify taking money for Tango, and I responded that by bringing fans to the album she had helped sell it. You won't even concede that the tour helped sell that album - the tour that Lindsey skipped out on.

- Jake
You're twisting the thread to fit your views now. I never said she didn't help sell it, please quote me where I said that. And there is a clear difference between tour proceeds and album proceeds.

As for "not conceding that the tour helped sell the album," I don't believe it did in the States. I don't know what Le Stew is talking about when he says it was #1 twice in the UK (he needs to link to a chart or somehting), but I do know that the album was on the charts for an entire year before they even played hteir first UK date.

Old 08-03-2004, 03:54 PM

"Ricky" is an awful song. Thank God it didn't make the album. Unfortunately, "Seven Wonders," "Welcome to the Room... Sara" and "When I See You Again Did."

OK, I admit, Seven Wonders isn't too bad, even if the vocals are cringe-worthy.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You're twisting the thread to fit your views now. I never said she didn't help sell it, please quote me where I said that. And there is a clear difference between tour proceeds and album proceeds.

As for "not conceding that the tour helped sell the album," I don't believe it did in the States. I don't know what Le Stew is talking about when he says it was #1 twice in the UK (he needs to link to a chart or somehting), but I do know that the album was on the charts for an entire year before they even played hteir first UK date.
First, in regard to the tour, the Shake The Cage Tour was very big in this country, no doubt.

Second, the thread seems twisted to suit you. I never said that you said () that she didn't help sell the album. I said that you refused to concede that Stevie brought fans to the album, thus helping to sell it, thus helping to justify that she should have no problem taking money for the album, which you had questioned.
Now we're unraveled.

- Jake
Old 08-03-2004, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
First, in regard to the tour, the Shake The Cage Tour was very big in this country, no doubt.

Second, the thread seems twisted to suit you. I never said that you said () that she didn't help sell the album. I said that you refused to concede that Stevie brought fans to the album, thus helping to sell it, thus helping to justify that she should have no problem taking money for the album, which you had questioned.
Now we're unraveled.

- Jake
In any case, I'm confused to the point where I'm finished with this thread.

WTTR...S sucks, will be the next one gone, and Seven Wonders will follow suit eventually. Then I'll be happy.

Old 08-03-2004, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

WTTR...S sucks, will be the next one gone, and Seven Wonders will follow suit eventually. Then I'll be happy.
As you exit to the Grinch theme music.

- Jake
Old 08-03-2004, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As you exit to the Grinch theme music.

- Jake
Which I hear was written about you...

Old 08-03-2004, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass
Johnny, if you're speaking of the incessant repetition here then why does it not bother you in the Tango In The Night songs that eventually made it to the album?
As I mentioned, my biggest beef is that for a song that's nearing the 5 minute mark, there's just not a lot going on.
Perhaps it would have been edited down if it was used on the album though. But who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass
The band had a lot of years to correct their 'mistake'. When CD was made available in the '80s and Ken Caillat was spending his time preparing the Rumours for it (he pulled the first issue from stores because he hated the sound quality) the band chose not to include the song on the album as a bonus, even though such things were becoming common practice. They didn't give a damn about it until after 1997, when the track received the public recognition that it deserves.
We're talking about the same band here that allowed one of its most famous songs to be included in a majorally-edited form on the 'Tusk' CD.
I don't think they cared much about the compact disc format at that time, and it was highly unlikely they would have included a "bonus track" on any of the discs.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
We're talking about the same band here that allowed one of its most famous songs to be included in a majorally-edited form on the 'Tusk' CD.
I've understood that in the early days of the CD, when Tusk was made for its first cd-reissue, it wasn't possible to get it over 74 minutes without losing the sound quality. I don't know if it is possible even know. Maybe it is, we all know Say You Will runs longer than that.
Quote:
I don't think they cared much about the compact disc format at that time, and it was highly unlikely they would have included a "bonus track" on any of the discs.
Ah, but they had Ken Caillat working on those back then, so I don't think they were totally ignorant and actually were informed on the situation.
In any case, the band only began to care about the song again after The Dance. If they would have cared about it as much earlier (=after Rumours, that is), you'd think it would have taken a place of the more obscure Stevie song in the setlist.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 08-03-2004, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:

No way, SW is going all the way, Dude.
AMber

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 08-03-2004, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sara...your welcome has run out.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
Meaning you believe there are songs in which the instrumentation power the vocals!?

I think Tango is better produced than SYW. I like a lot of the SYW songs better than Tango, but the production in comparison is uneven. Tango has a uniformity of sound and production from song to song. With SYW, I've found myself EQing it between songs.
I swear sometimes I think we are attached at the hip. I still can't find a happy EQ balance to SYW. I agree 100%.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky
Sara...your welcome has run out.
Omigod - no! This is a dream, right?
AMber

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 08-03-2004, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
Talk about desperately clinging to something.

"Little Lies" and "Everywhere" where catchier singles. No doubt about it.
Christine really came to life on 'Tango,' and she deserved to have the success with her singles that she had.
Um how about Say You Love Me, You Make Loving Fun, Don't Stop, and Hold Me? Those are kind of catchy no? She always had a knack for catchy hits Johnny. And as time went on she had a lot to do with the production. She just didn't want to work 100 hours a week vs. 70 hours.